Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Goodyear RSA problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Technically you are supposed to go to a authorized goodyear tire service center and have them examine your tires. In order to find the "authorized" service center you need to call the 1800 number.

1)Go to your Nissan Dealer and file a report with them. Also call 1-800-Nissan-1 and file a report with them too. Do this for legal reasons. I think that they are covering up a larger problem.
2)Nissan and/or the Dealer will tell you goodyear is responsible for the tire warranty, which is true. Call up goodyear 1-800-321-2136 then push option number 1, on the next menu push 5. That will get you over to a live body. They will make it a point that you go to a dealer. Tell them you were there and that you were told to call up goodyear. They should be rather coperative from this point.
3)Get a case #, and have goodyear give you a local dealer that will honor the OEM warranty.
4) Circle all of the cracks on the tires using some chalk. This way this leaves no question of if and where the cracks are when you go to the goodyear dealer. If you can take some pictures too for legal documetation of the problem.

Goodyear will offer to replace the tires under warranty. They will tell you that if you have worn off less than 2/32 of the tread you don't have to pay for anything. Anything over 2/32 of wear will lead to pro-rating the tire's value. Try to fight them on the pro-rating value. You wouldn't have to deal with this had goodyear made good tires. Goodyear should be liable for all costs relating to the replacement of the tire. This include balancing,mounting, stems, and labor cost. Don't let them tell you otherwise, fight for them to pay for everything.

Any tire place that hassles you is not worth going into. Most likely
they will double charge (goodyear and you) and say you are liable for the cost of work on the tires. This is Use my comment above and don't deviate from it! If you follow the above steps you should have no issues.

As far as getting different tires it depends on the shop you go into. Legally you can only get RSA's. some shops will credit the RSA price and offer to upgrade your tires. Personally I have nothing against these tires. They work well under most conditions for me. I tried to get into a different tire but Just Tires would not let me do it. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Konicaman2
... I think I will get the Dunlop Sport 5000. Tire Rack shows good revues and I am not looking for a F1 type performance tire....
I went to the tire rack and the rating on the 5000's isn't as good as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (All Season). I too, don't need a "summer-tire only" and would rather have All Season (I know they are louder for the compound is harder) for my needs. if the snow is bad, I just take the truck out.

For those that want a good rated snow-slush tire, go with the Bridgestone*Blizzak LM-22.

What is ironic is the RSAs are actually (aside from the defect) a good tire. Good noise, handling and wet traction. For most drivers, they recommend atleast an H rated tire.

Here we go again ...
Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 PM

I can only speak for my case, but here are the facts for my claim. The customer service rep. at the Goodyear hotline (which I called FIRST) said we DO NOT have to use RSA's again, it just has to be same size , same load index or greater, and same speed rateing or greater, Goodyear or Dunlop or any other Goodyear owned brand. If we pick a tire that cost more than the RSA, then we only pay the additional amount. If you have a 04 or 05 MAXIMA SE (lightonthehill and his SL lucked out on this), you BETTER TAKE OFF ALL 4 TIRES and INSPECT the inner sidewall (even use a flashlight). Better safe than dead.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:24 PM

It seems there is little consistency in the office since I asked my goodyear customer service rep if they would move me over to another tire and told me I had to stick with the RSA's. I guess it's all how the person feels over there.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not a huge difference in the ratings between the Michelin Pilot and Dunlop Sport 5000. Michelins are right at $100.00 more per tire. Anyone here good or bad on the new Dunlop Direzza DZ101?

Dunlop 8.5 8 8 6.9 8 7.9 8 7.8 7
Michelin 9.1 8.2 8.1 N/A 8.9 8.9 7.8 7.5 6.9
Old 01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here's another story about Goodyear RSAs: I had all four of my RSAs replaced by Goodyear. Goodyear had absolutely no problem replacing them. Unfortunately, one of the replacement tires had to be replaced because the tire was, according to the dealership, "run out." At least all of the tires are new, but one would think that Goodyear would not want to ruin their brand image. Seems like it's too late for them.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:31 PM

Why didn't you get some GS-D3's ?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was going to since many around here had suggested them. The Goodyear rep suggested that for the type of driving my wife does(GrandMa) that the Dunlops would be great and last a lot lot longer than the F1's. We are wanting a quiet, decent lasting and good wet traction tire.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:59 PM

I was going to since many around here had suggested them. The Goodyear rep suggested that for the type of driving my wife does(GrandMa) that the Dunlops would be great and last a lot lot longer than the F1's. We are wanting a quiet, decent lasting and good wet traction tire.
Funny how the Goodyear rep was selling you on another Brand
Old 01-11-2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by SSurfer
Funny how the Goodyear rep was selling you on another Brand
Goodyear has some ownership of Dunlop. It is almost like a Buick rep suggesting that you consider getting a Pontiac.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Damn i had hoped my tires wouldnt be bad... and i just found out they are. I found a welt in my front left tire and some splitting in the front right. I called the dealer, and they gave me the run around and told me to call good year. I called good year and they told me to call the dealer. I called an authorized reseller from goodyear and they told me to call the dealer, or goodyear themselves. I'm so pissed, honestly. I should have remembered this thread was here and called 1 800 nissan (which i will do in the morning). Im just mad and i had to vent. sorry guys(n gals). Well see what crap they tell me tommorow...
Old 01-13-2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by idnumber1
Damn i had hoped my tires wouldnt be bad... and i just found out they are. I found a welt in my front left tire and some splitting in the front right. I called the dealer, and they gave me the run around and told me to call good year. I called good year and they told me to call the dealer. I called an authorized reseller from goodyear and they told me to call the dealer, or goodyear themselves. I'm so pissed, honestly. I should have remembered this thread was here and called 1 800 nissan (which i will do in the morning). Im just mad and i had to vent. sorry guys(n gals). Well see what crap they tell me tommorow...
Gals? Do we any female Maxima owners here?
I guess all the RSA's are POS tires!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:58 AM

Yea, I am happy to wait for my GS-D3's to be built.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:36 AM

I've checked the outside of the sidewalls, but haven't seen anything... however I'm more concerned about the inner sidewalls as it seems that is where most here have found the problems.

Anyway, I have all of the "t" numbers from each time... will Goodyear know if the tires came from the defectives batch(es) by these numbers? If I have to end up replacing them, I'm unsure that I wand to gamble with the RSA's again. Would the Michelin Pilots be a good all-year tire with relatively low road noise? I live in central Missouri, where the weather isn't too bad (usually).

Also, I still haven't taken my car in for the shimmy... I wonder if getting a different set of tires would invalidate my warranty? I can just imagine hearing my dealship service advisor saying that the shimmy was caused by the Michelin's or something.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:50 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Monotaur
I can just imagine hearing my dealship service advisor saying that the shimmy was caused by the Michelin's or something.

Thanks!
it will be impossible for goodyear to warrant you another company brand. one member received a refund, then bought other tires (genorous garage). but of course you would not have goodyear anymore and loose their warranty. there is no warranty by nissan for tires.

a friend with an 03 just bought pilots and now has a shimmy... but he may have possible damage in other areas after replacing a wheel ruined by a log on the road before the pilots.

if my splits (swear i saw them with a witness) are more visible next rotation, i'll have goodyear throw on some dunlops. last time i didn't circle then and had an appointment with GY on a rainy day. so nothing was visible.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
it will be impossible for goodyear to warrant you another company brand. one member received a refund, then bought other tires (genorous garage). but of course you would not have goodyear anymore and loose their warranty. there is no warranty by nissan for tires.

a friend with an 03 just bought pilots and now has a shimmy... but he may have possible damage in other areas after replacing a wheel ruined by a log on the road before the pilots.

if my splits (swear i saw them with a witness) are more visible next rotation, i'll have goodyear throw on some dunlops. last time i didn't circle then and had an appointment with GY on a rainy day. so nothing was visible.
Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant to ask if Nissan will still perform shimmy TSB under warranty if I'm not using OEM tires? If not, I guess I'll have them perform the TSB first, then change tires (and make sure that they are balanced properly with the Hunter...).

Thanks
Old 01-14-2005, 12:20 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant to ask if Nissan will still perform shimmy TSB under warranty if I'm not using OEM tires? If not, I guess I'll have them perform the TSB first, then change tires (and make sure that they are balanced properly with the Hunter...).

Thanks
we have every right to buy whatever tires we want. they would still be required to perform the TSB under warranty. I would establish there is a shimmy, get the new tires, then have the dealer fix the shimmy (if still present).
Old 01-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
we have every right to buy whatever tires we want. they would still be required to perform the TSB under warranty. I would establish there is a shimmy, get the new tires, then have the dealer fix the shimmy (if still present).

True! But the dealer could always comeback with "Thats not a OEM product, your vehicle did'nt come with that type of tires"
Old 01-21-2005, 04:06 PM

Fixed problem.

Originally, I took my car to a crappy Goodyear dealer and was told I had a crack in the left rear tire. I was quoted $250 - $300 just to replace the one tire. That was at 15 or 16,000 miles. Now at 17,000 miles, I took my car to another dealer and all tires were cracked. Initially I was quoted $635 to replace them. Then I called the corporate headquarters and complained. The person I talked to called the dealer like two minutes later and authorized another $200 off the total price. Just letting you know what my current situation is.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ranjittx
Originally, I took my car to a crappy Goodyear dealer and was told I had a crack in the left rear tire. I was quoted $250 - $300 just to replace the one tire. That was at 15 or 16,000 miles. Now at 17,000 miles, I took my car to another dealer and all tires were cracked. Initially I was quoted $635 to replace them. Then I called the corporate headquarters and complained. The person I talked to called the dealer like two minutes later and authorized another $200 off the total price. Just letting you know what my current situation is.
$835.00? You should be able to have all four replaced at no cost to you?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:30 PM

I agree, I did.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:49 AM

Find another dealer. All 4 of my RSAs were replaced at no cost.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:46 AM

Well the total price came out to around $435. But if all of you got your tires replaced at no cost, I am wondering how many miles you have on them. I had 17,000 miles and was told that after 25% of the tire life, the warranty is pro-rated. I am also wondering what you all said to get those tires free.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:59 AM

I had 9000 miles, and GOODYEAR HEADQUARTERS is the FIRST place to call, not the Goodyear dealer. I am 100% positive you could have got total FREE replacement. GY knows these tires have started cracking the sidewwalls in these tires when they are new ( 0 miles), so even if you have several miles on them, you have had the cracks the ENTIRE life of the tires even if you did'nt know it! GY will do a 100% free replacement if you go about it the right way. I got total free replacement of RSA's but I paid $16 more per tire for F1 GS-D3's.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:48 PM

12250 miles 100% no charge for RSA's, but I did have to pay an extra $10.00 per tire to upgrade to F1's
Old 01-29-2005, 05:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks like I will be getting the F1's after all. The wait for the Dunlop 5000 is two months and the 9000 is being discontinued. And I do not want rsa's back on my car. They should be in any day now...

Are the F1's quieter than the RSA's?
Old 01-29-2005, 07:16 AM

Looks like I will be getting the F1's after all. The wait for the Dunlop 5000 is two months and the 9000 is being discontinued. And I do not want rsa's back on my car. They should be in any day now...

Are the F1's quieter than the RSA's?
Straight line, NO. Cornering, Yes = overall No, but whole lot better tire.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:30 AM

Had my GS-D3's put on 3 days ago. Long story short- they are the BEST TIRES I have ever drove on, period! Get them to replace the RSA's , no matter what it takes!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree, they are the BEST I ever owned. If I had to deal with snow, I would mount a set of winter tires on my old stock rims instead of trying to find an All Season tire.

BTW, the Goodyear dealer gave me a credit toward any tire he carried or could order if I did not want the RSAs. I sure it is the same for anyone else.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:11 AM

Glad my Maxima came(OEM) with the RSA's!!

So I could get F1's
Old 02-10-2005, 04:49 PM

BTT
For the new guys with questions
Old 03-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Banned

6th Gen & Tires

I just called the local Goodyear dealership, he said id have to wait for the F1's about one week. Still waiting to see if he wants to prorate the tires or not, but im pretty positive he will replace all 4 atleast. My question really is this: do the F1's significantly alter the handling/ride of this particular car? I know I could just go back to RSA's, but it wasnt my plan in the first place, so why should I do that now because they failed.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Banned

Ok back from Goodyear, heres the breakdown: $175 rebate for each of the non-cracked rears, $195 for each of the cracked ones. 30,500mi, tires have 3/16th tread left. Only thing im not too happy about is they are selling RS-A's for $265 each, F1's for $309. Called around, was told noone had F1's in stock. Its going to cost me $400 to stay with RSA's/ $600 for F1's. Incl. tax, valvestems, etc. When I left the guy said he will see of he can 'work' on the price. So, I guess trading in tires after getting 30k out of them and having a $750 credit on the set is nice, considering they just cracked. Goodyear's hotline didnt do much at all, they told me they would prorate the things based on remaining tread, so i was being prepared to get totally screwed anyway. Im prolly getting F1's to see what all the buzz is about.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:44 PM
GrandPa

I just had my tires changed in florida. I was getting a oil change and they showed that all my tires were cracked. Since I had over 36,000 miles I had to pay only 227 dollars for the tires. I was told by the rep at Goodyear that these tires were made better, I will see. Not bad I have 4 brand new tires. I also will not go to Nissan in Brooklyn for service. I went there for a oil change and they did not notice the cracks. I asked them and they said it must have happened on my drive to Florida. Now my car and my wifes car will be serviced at another dealer. Also canceled a order on a '04 Z. Later Warren
Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Ok back from Goodyear, heres the breakdown: $175 rebate for each of the non-cracked rears, $195 for each of the cracked ones. 30,500mi, tires have 3/16th tread left. Only thing im not too happy about is they are selling RS-A's for $265 each, F1's for $309. Called around, was told noone had F1's in stock. Its going to cost me $400 to stay with RSA's/ $600 for F1's. Incl. tax, valvestems, etc. When I left the guy said he will see of he can 'work' on the price. So, I guess trading in tires after getting 30k out of them and having a $750 credit on the set is nice, considering they just cracked. Goodyear's hotline didnt do much at all, they told me they would prorate the things based on remaining tread, so i was being prepared to get totally screwed anyway. Im prolly getting F1's to see what all the buzz is about.
That is way too much. Try to take it to near by discount tire. They match tirerack price.

Tirerack sells f1@214 a piece... so you would just pay on an average 30/tire + installation /balancing charge. Remember discount tire offers life time balancing + free tire replacements if you encounter any defects or irrepairable road hazard.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Banned

Thanks, but no discount tire anywhere near buffalo ny...not even within 100mi. I called DUNN TIRE (a tirerack reccommended installer) to see what they had to say, they quoted me the same price (of their in stock) also, and said it sounded like a good deal (goodyears quote). Tirerack's F1's are 214...230ea. with shipping..260 to get them on my rims somewhere....and then i wont get my rebate will I? Like I said, the guy said he'd 'work' on the price. They sell RSA's for 265 everywhere around here too. This is just getting messy and I want these pieces of junk off my car!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:26 PM

Thanks, but no discount tire anywhere near buffalo ny...not even within 100mi. I called DUNN TIRE (a tirerack reccommended installer) to see what they had to say, they quoted me the same price (of their in stock) also, and said it sounded like a good deal (goodyears quote). Tirerack's F1's are 214...230ea. with shipping..260 to get them on my rims somewhere....and then i wont get my rebate will I? Like I said, the guy said he'd 'work' on the price. They sell RSA's for 265 everywhere around here too. This is just getting messy and I want these pieces of junk off my car!
Try to lay it back to goodyear! "My family rides in my car, if something happens & you dont want to replace my !@$#%"......

Can you say firestone wilderness?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:17 AM

Your tire dealer wants to screw you. The F1 GS-D3's cost me only $16/ tire over more new RSA's and the RSA's were going to be FREE. I am 100% sure all 4 of your tires have cracks, it is just easier to see them on the front(heavier load) tires. Keep this in mind, the cracks started at mile #1, we just didn't know it untill we inspected them. For me that was at 9000 miles, and believe me they had been there from the START. Trust me, if you talk LIBILITY & CLASS-ACTION, the 1-800 GY consumer affairs people will OK 100% FREE replacement of the RSA's for you. Now as far as the GS-D3's issue goes, just get them like I did, best choice you can make!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:27 AM

I was checking my tires this morning. I can't see the cracks. But I have a buldge in my front tire. Like when you bump your head and you get a bump there.. That is what it looks like. I have 31000 miles. anyone else have this happen to them too.

Joe
Old 03-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Your tire dealer wants to screw you. The F1 GS-D3's cost me only $16/ tire over more new RSA's and the RSA's were going to be FREE. I am 100% sure all 4 of your tires have cracks, it is just easier to see them on the front(heavier load) tires. Keep this in mind, the cracks started at mile #1, we just didn't know it untill we inspected them. For me that was at 9000 miles, and believe me they had been there from the START. Trust me, if you talk LIBILITY & CLASS-ACTION, the 1-800 GY consumer affairs people will OK 100% FREE replacement of the RSA's for you. Now as far as the GS-D3's issue goes, just get them like I did, best choice you can make!
OK, im still going to fight for a better price of course...I know the price isng great but this tire here MSRP's for $315.95 http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...ea=Performance
And the RSA is $264.95 on goodyears site...So this shop is basically trying to sell me MSRP, but they had to special order them and I gotta wait. Even if I get full credit for my RSA's, Its gonna cost $300 extra to upgrade unless they give on the price...we'll see what happens, this has to be fought at the shop level I think, the GY rep (talked to 2) wouldnt let me talk to a higher up and said they have gone abovve already bc my tires haave 30k..bull huh?

Quick Reply: Goodyear RSA problems