Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Goodyear RSA problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:48 AM

Goodyear RSA problems

I have this sidewall problem. My Goodyear tire dealer wants the info I got off the net before changing my tires. Does anyone know of other Forums which talk about this problem. Right now I have only one cracked tire but I want them to change all four!(I dont want to keep going back) You might need this info as well!
Thanks Steven
Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
SuPeRmOd

if you would look through this very forum, you will see many related threads.....
Old 12-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I feel your frustration. I recall doing a google search for this topic and not having much luck finding our 18" tires. There are other sizes, though, that demonstrate the same problems.

My advice is to do the following:
1)Go to your Nissan Dealer and file a report with them. Also call 1-800-Nissan-1 and file a report with them too. Do this for legal reasons. I think that they are covering up a larger problem.
2)Nissan and/or the Dealer will tell you goodyear is responsible for the tire warranty, which is true. Call up goodyear 1-800-321-2136 then push option number 1, on the next menu push 5. That will get you over to a live body. They will make it a point that you go to a dealer. Tell them you were there and that you were told to call up goodyear. They should be rather coperative from this point.
3)Get a case #, and have goodyear give you a local dealer that will honor the OEM warranty.
4) Circle all of the cracks on the tires using some chalk. This way this leaves no question of if and where the cracks are when you go to the goodyear dealer. If you can take some pictures too for legal documetation of the problem.

Goodyear will offer to replace the tires under warranty. They will tell you that if you have worn off less than 2/32 of the tread you don't have to pay for anything. Anything over 2/32 of wear will lead to pro-rating the tire's value. Try to fight them on the pro-rating value. You wouldn't have to deal with this had goodyear made good tires. Goodyear should be liable for all costs relating to the replacement of the tire. This include balancing,mounting, stems, and labor cost. Don't let them tell you otherwise, fight for them to pay for everything.

As far as having all the tires replaced- some on the ORG have had luck with the dealer and they replaced all four of them. Chances are all 4 tires came from the same plant and batch of tires that are having this issue. If you can, please post how many miles you have on the tires and post the serial number of the tire. It's on the sidewall and it will be next to a GCW-74DHRN number.

This way we can start a database of bad tires.
My four tires were:
t312896
t312898
t312899
t312904

BTW I am waiting to get mine replaced, they've been ordered. I was told that the tires that are cracking all came from one plant and one batch where too much silicon was used. This made the tires too soft and caused cracking. The front tires should have worse cracking than the rear ones. Check all the tires using good light so that you can see any small developing cracks. I hope this helps. Let us know.

Here is a
link to the other thread on here that should be helpful
Old 12-07-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by msoemax
I feel your frustration. I recall doing a google search for this topic and not having much luck finding our 18" tires. There are other sizes, though, that demonstrate the same problems.

1)Go to your Nissan Dealer and file a report with them. Also call 1-800-Nissan-1 and file a report with them too. Do this for legal reasons. I think that they are covering up a larger problem.
2)Nissan and/or the Dealer will tell you goodyear is responsible for the tire warranty, which is true. Call up goodyear 1-800-321-2136 then push option number 1, on the next menu push 5. That will get you over to a live body. They will make it a point that you go to a dealer. Tell them you were there and that you were told to call up goodyear. They should be rather coperative from this point.
3)Get a case #, and have goodyear give you a local dealer that will honor the OEM warranty.
4) Circle all of the cracks on the tires using some chalk. This way this leaves no question of if and where the cracks are when you go to the goodyear dealer. If you can take some pictures too for legal documetation of the problem.

Goodyear will offer to replace the tires under warranty. They will tell you that if you have worn off less than 2/32 of the tread you don't have to pay for anything. Anything over 2/32 of wear will lead to pro-rating the tire's value. Try to fight them on the pro-rating value. You wouldn't have to deal with this had goodyear made good tires. Goodyear should be liable for all costs relating to the replacement of the tire. This include balancing,mounting, stems, and labor cost. Don't let them tell you otherwise, fight for them to pay for everything.

As far as having all the tires replaced- some on the ORG have had luck with the dealer and they replaced all four of them. Chances are all 4 tires came from the same plant and batch of tires that are having this issue. If you can, please post how many miles you have on the tires and post the serial number of the tire. It's on the sidewall and it will be next to a GCW-74DHRN number.

My four tires were:
t312896
t312898
t312899
t312904

BTW I am waiting to get mine replaced, they've been ordered. I was told that the tires that are cracking all came from one plant and one batch where too much silicon was used. This made the tires too soft and caused cracking. The front tires should have worse cracking than the rear ones. Check all the tires using good light so that you can see any small developing cracks. I hope this helps. Let us know.
now that's a patient man right there! willing to answer all questions even if there may be other "related" threads in the forum. I hope there are more people like you in this forum... keep it up!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
if you would look through this very forum, you will see many related threads.....
yEAH, I copied all the stuff here, looking for more ammo. Thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 11:25 AM

I have two tires with the same serial # as yours t312898. Does this mean that all tires with that serial # are potentially going to split? Will they replace the tires with that batch of serial #'s even if there are no splits yet?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by msoemax

My four tires were:
t312896
t312898
t312899
t312904

Here is a
link to the other thread on here that should be helpful
Thanks Msoemax for such a detailed reply. Really helpful!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:56 AM

Friggen HAZARDOUS tires. I have posted many times about this issue and will NEVER purchase Goodyears again.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:10 PM

My tires are:
t312904
t312897
t312903
t312901

anyone got any info on what numbers are from that plant?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:46 AM

msoemax received my case#, Thanks[beer] now see if goodyear will change all 4 of my tires.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:30 PM

Just checked my tires:
T321904 Cracked around entire outside perimeter
T321903 One small crack aound outside
T321902 Nothing on outside
T312902 Nothing on outside

Just called my Nissan dealer, and Goodyear. No one has any information. Is there a list available with the bad numbers, yet?

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mach58
Just checked my tires:
T321904 Cracked around entire outside perimeter
T321903 One small crack aound outside
T321902 Nothing on outside
T312902 Nothing on outside

Just called my Nissan dealer, and Goodyear. No one has any information. Is there a list available with the bad numbers, yet?

Thanks for any info.
I posted a link here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=362437 regarding how I was able to get my POS tires replaced by Goodyear. They did not ask about batch numbers or anything. When the dealer called corporate and said that he had a customer with a RSA issue the guy at corporate replied "cracks in the side walls"? THEY KNOW THIS IS AN ISSUE!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:12 PM

My Lord I hope this doesn't happen to mine!

I always new Goodyear was horribly overrated and only would use Michelin. My 05' came with the RSAs though!

Please Lord Let me get 40,000 on these tires! (That is me praying)
Old 12-15-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
. . . Please Lord Let me get 40,000 on these tires! (That is me praying)
I have about 27,700 miles on the car, but I will not make 30,000 on the tires. I belive my car came from the factory with the rear wheels slightly out of allignment (no way to prove this, but knowledgable friends agree). This caused some slight cupping on the rear tires, but not enough to notice by the time I did my first tire rotation at 7,500 miles. This put new tires on the back to experience slight cupping. Then I rotated again at 15,000 miles and the original tires from the back were again on the back experiencing more cupping wear. The car started to develop a rumble at about 20,000 miles, but I did not find the problem until I did another rotation at 22,500 miles and actually felt the cups in the rear tires. I immediately went back and checked the front tire for cupping and found some slight cupping on them.

The dealer was happy to do a full wheel allignment for me (I paid). They would not acknowledge that the car was sold to me with the rear wheels not properly alligned.

I recommend that you get your allignment checked no later than 15,000 miles if not sooner. I will be buying new tires this spring before the hot driving season starts. I want better tires on my car and don't want to have any problems with the Goodyears in the heat. Also the tires still rumble because of the previous cupping wear before proper allignment -- it is annoying. There will still be some good tread left on the old tires when I trade, but I will feel substantially safer on Michelins and will certainly not miss the rumble above about 40 mph.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:53 AM

Thanks SilverMaz04 I will do that. Damn Goodyear tires!

At this point getting 30,000 will be a bonus!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:56 PM

Just had the goodyears replaced today. 12/15/04 34,000 miles. took the car to a authorized goodyear dealer here in Hampton Va. Manager was aware of my claim. He checked the cracks on the tire.( inner and outer sidewalls) Then made a call to goodyears tech line and they told him to replace at 1 1/2 pro rate. 60/50 wear front and back. Came to 317.00 for 4 new tires out the door. Have the store call goodyear, he said they're aware of this problem with o4 Max's.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 PM

Got a case number from Goodyear and went to the local Goodyear dealer. He found cracks on the outside of both front tires but nothing on the outside of the rears. The dealer has ordered in 4 new tires and will have me come back when they get in. We will both examine the tires on the lift. Each one that shows the cracking will be replaced at no charge. Both fronts will be replaced for sure. Okay, the tires have a real problem, but you gotta appreciate the service.

Thanks for all the info and help. Will report again when everything gets done.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:32 AM

Goodyear RSA

The goodyear RSA is a family tire with low noise and modest performance. Get something better. I wouldnt want to replace a bad tire with another bad one.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:17 AM

Went to Goodyear tire dealer today. They checked my tires and said they would replace all four of my tires! I told them I wanted better tires than the POS RSA's and that I'd pay the differents. I have four Eagle F-1's on order! So far things looking pertty good...
Old 12-19-2004, 03:30 PM

I'll have to check my tires...I only have 2100 miles on my car though....
Old 12-19-2004, 08:08 PM

That is what I got for my cracked RSA tires, you will love the F1s. They are a great summer tire.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Viper1
That is what I got for my cracked RSA tires, you will love the F1s. They are a great summer tire.
Thanks! I cant wait!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:14 PM

I will say this, we got a little snow and ice here in NY. My Goodyears performed quite well. I was very surprised! I still will replace them with Michelins though!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:15 PM

Man, I can feel your pain. For such an expensive car, the tires should be upto par with it. The tires are even pricey. I was quoted $390 per tire. When I went to the Goodyear dealer, he told me that my tires were half way worn, ( only 16,000 miles on them) and that it would cost alot to replace them. One crack was found on the left rear but I don't want to pay over $250 for a tire that is a piece of crap but it looks like I have to. When time comes to get new tires, I am getting Brdigestone Potenzas. They are a step above the RSA's and I will get a good deal because I am good friends with the manager. Something like $220 per tire.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:24 PM

I think you need to find another Tire Dealer, below is a forum thread with some info.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=349692

Viper1
Old 12-30-2004, 06:31 PM

http://www.tirerack.com check them out. they have good deals
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 PM

Found this in
Consumer Reports magazine

Ratings Ultra-high performance tires as of 10/2004

1 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
2 Toyo Proxes T1-S
3 Continental ContiSportContact 2 Note: Discontinued.
4 Michelin Pilot Sport
5 Dunlop SP Sport 9000
6 Pirelli PZero Nero
7 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position
8 Hankook Ventus Sport K104
9 Yokohama AVS ES100
10 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW
11 Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP Note: Discontinued.
12 Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
13 Sumitomo HTRZ II
Old 12-31-2004, 12:10 AM

Got my F1's today! Sweet!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:28 AM

The F1s sound like an awsome tires. Where are the best prices on these?
Old 12-31-2004, 09:01 AM

The F-1's were on sale at the Goodyear dealer I went to fix my tire problems, the differents I paid was $10.00 extra per tire.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:02 AM

I had the sidewall problem with 21,000 miles and upgraded to the F1's for about $180 for all four. There is a noticeable increase in handling. The only thing that caught me off guard was hard acceleration from a stop into a turn. Instead of a little squealing like the RSA's, these tires sort of vibrate. Kind of like they catch traction than lose it then catch again. Careful acceleration and practice has helped eliminate this behavior. After I got the new tires, I brought it back to the dealer and had them perform the shimmy tsb and they also tightened up the steering (all under warranty). All in all, I'm finally happy with the way my car is performing.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:45 AM

Is this still an ongoing problem with even the 05 Maxima SE ? with the RSA's? I just got one on 12/31/05?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by CyberCub
Is this still an ongoing problem with even the 05 Maxima SE ? with the RSA's? I just got one on 12/31/05?
Why do you want a Max when you have a time machine?

I rotated my tires a week ago. found one super thin 2-3 inch split on the ionside of each rear tire. I'll check them on the next rotation to see if they get worse before getting them replaced.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Why do you want a Max when you have a time machine?

I rotated my tires a week ago. found one super thin 2-3 inch split on the ionside of each rear tire. I'll check them on the next rotation to see if they get worse before getting them replaced.

This is a Safety issue, I would not wait. I really dont want to read another post about another totaled max.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree...Plus you may put more wear on the tire and pro-rate will add up. Take them in ASAP. Call up the goodyear phone number that is in the manual that you got when you bought the car. Their number is in there. Their hours are until 5:30 EST BTW
Old 01-03-2005, 04:32 PM

My Goodyear dealer inspected the tires on my Max. Found 3 that were split on the outside as well as the inside. The 4th tire showed no splits but the dealer said he would replace all 4 tires at no cost. He also commented on how he thought this was a safety issue and would report it to Goodyear. It looked liked some of the splits were close to starting to leak. I only had 8k on the tires and ran them at 32psi.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:55 PM

i didn't realize the Goodyear tires were some problem. I thought my Potenza I had on my 2k1 stock were crap when one of the sidewall was cracked all around it and about to separate from the tread. Ouch!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:08 PM

Sorry, but I feel that I did not get a definately ANSWER if the newer 05 Max's with the Good Year RSA are still having issues.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:53 PM

I dont think so. Only reported on the early 04 maxima's from one tire plant.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SSurfer
I dont think so. Only reported on the early 04 maxima's from one tire plant.

whew, ok thats good news atleast! had me worried as I drive the interstate everyday! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Goodyear RSA problems