Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Rims? Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:37 PM

Rims? Opinions needed.

So I am considering some rims for my new 2006 Spirited Bronze Max. I found some on tirerack that are bronze painted. This being the first aftermarket set of rims I have ever purchased, id like some opinions/suggestions. Looking for something in the 18 inch stock range that will work with the stock tires that come standard on the SE.

Also if anyone knows of some good sites or has a list please by all means let me know!

Old 03-23-2006, 07:42 PM

are you looking for a more racing type of rim, and how big do you want?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 PM

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.... GO BIGGER...
my.02
Old 03-23-2006, 09:08 PM
*moderator*

Sorry but I agree with VQ, definitely go bigger. If it's a $$$ thing I'd just wait. No offense to anybody who went aftermarket 18's but this car deserves bigger wheels.
I got mine here, good cust service and great prices:
www.buywheelstoday.com
Old 04-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any truth to a decrease in performance with the bigger wheel/tire setup? I've read in other threads that people have run into some trouble. I have been considering going bigger myself but, I got scared off when I read that.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:49 PM
KC's FINEST

A bigger, heavier wheel/tire will decrease power slightly. Lager mass to rotate. With the right setup, it could help performance.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:23 PM

If I had a 6th gen I'd definitely go bigger as well (at least 19's) and with your color of car I wouldn't get dark rims either. Good luck with your search.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:15 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by grassi
Any truth to a decrease in performance with the bigger wheel/tire setup? I've read in other threads that people have run into some trouble. I have been considering going bigger myself but, I got scared off when I read that.
yes, there is truth to it. larger rims generally weigh more, and the double-whammy is that the weight is distributed farther out from the center of the wheel. Both of these combine for increased rotational mass.

typically, each 1lb of wheel weight added (per corner) is like adding 8lbs of sprung weight to the car. So if your 19's weigh 3lbs more each than the same wheel in an 18, it's like lugging around an extra 96lbs of weight in the car. This doesn't even take into account the farther-out rotational mass, which is like adding even MORE weight. My estimate, in the 18 vs. 19 w/3lb difference would be about = to 150 or so lbs of sprung weight.

that's why if you look at the fastest drag guys here, they all use 15's or 16's on the drive wheels.....

That said, I have 24-lb 18x8's (strong for potholes) as my street wheels, and 17lb 17x8's as my autocross/road race wheels. The difference is night and day with regard to accelleration. After track events when I put the street wheels back on, it feels like the car is loaded up with bricks.....

I'm not going to speak to "style" or whether a larger wheel is worth the tradeoff in performance - that's a personal opinion as to whether you like 17's, 18's, 20's, whatever. If I had a 6th gen, I'd probably look for a lightweight 18 with flush spokes (making it look bigger than a 19 with a lip)....

I will also say, I'm less of a fan of bronze rims than I used to be, in terms of looks. I have bronze 5zigens for the track, and I think they're kind of ugly....wouldn't use them for street, just the track where looks don't matter.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
yes, there is truth to it. larger rims generally weigh more, and the double-whammy is that the weight is distributed farther out from the center of the wheel. Both of these combine for increased rotational mass.

typically, each 1lb of wheel weight added (per corner) is like adding 8lbs of sprung weight to the car. So if your 19's weigh 3lbs more each than the same wheel in an 18, it's like lugging around an extra 96lbs of weight in the car. This doesn't even take into account the farther-out rotational mass, which is like adding even MORE weight. My estimate, in the 18 vs. 19 w/3lb difference would be about = to 150 or so lbs of sprung weight.

that's why if you look at the fastest drag guys here, they all use 15's or 16's on the drive wheels.....

That said, I have 24-lb 18x8's (strong for potholes) as my street wheels, and 17lb 17x8's as my autocross/road race wheels. The difference is night and day with regard to accelleration. After track events when I put the street wheels back on, it feels like the car is loaded up with bricks.....

I'm not going to speak to "style" or whether a larger wheel is worth the tradeoff in performance - that's a personal opinion as to whether you like 17's, 18's, 20's, whatever. If I had a 6th gen, I'd probably look for a lightweight 18 with flush spokes (making it look bigger than a 19 with a lip)....

I will also say, I'm less of a fan of bronze rims than I used to be, in terms of looks. I have bronze 5zigens for the track, and I think they're kind of ugly....wouldn't use them for street, just the track where looks don't matter.
this is exactly why i bought my NISMO 19's they are bigger yes, but still over all same diameter as the stock 18's and they are also 6 pounds lighter than the OEM 18's. so by that being said lower unsprung weight, faster suspension response, quicker reving engine...
my .02
Old 04-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I Broke OT

for the track, i think rim size definitely plays a key roll, but just for on the street, i would get something that i love the looks of, even if they are heavy, rather than something that's ugly, but light. just think about if that weight difference will really make a difference to you. if it does, stay small. if it doesn't, then go with what looks best.

as far as bronze on bronze, i think it would look great if they were the same color bronze. but if they were different shades, i think it would ruin the look. if you can't get the same color, then contrast would be the best thing to go for. on your darker car get a lighter rim. i think those 5-spokes that you have pictured would look incredible if they were 19s and rather than the bronze, they should be the silver that is on the inner lip. but obviously just my thought.

go with what you like and what works best for your driving style.