Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Good tire suggestion for my new 18" rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good tire suggestion for my new 18" rims?

Just won an ebay auction for a set of the Tenzo Poke-10 rims, 18".... $399 for a set of 4, which is an insanely great price, dont know how they sold them so low, but anywhere online the reg price was about $189 per wheel. Anyway, I'm getting the rims in today, and wanted some suggestions on good tires to go on them. I've never purchased new tires for a car, so this is new to me. The rims are 40mm offset. I need good summer and rain tires, dont have to worry about snow... lots of freeway driving. Any suggestions on good looking tires with good grip and that will get the job done? Not looking for absolute top-of-the-line either.... And a tire that I can get somewhere like Big O, Sears or Big Brand Tires would be ideal!

By the way, these rims are the same that chernmax has on his, i've always liked them, dont really want to go big like 20" or anything, and these just look classy.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Just won an ebay auction for a set of the Tenzo Poke-10 rims, 18".... $399 for a set of 4, which is an insanely great price, dont know how they sold them so low, but anywhere online the reg price was about $189 per wheel. Anyway, I'm getting the rims in today, and wanted some suggestions on good tires to go on them. I've never purchased new tires for a car, so this is new to me. The rims are 40mm offset. I need good summer and rain tires, dont have to worry about snow... lots of freeway driving. Any suggestions on good looking tires with good grip and that will get the job done? Not looking for absolute top-of-the-line either.... And a tire that I can get somewhere like Big O, Sears or Big Brand Tires would be ideal!

By the way, these rims are the same that chernmax has on his, i've always liked them, dont really want to go big like 20" or anything, and these just look classy.
Pictures please. Also, check out tirerack.com , great prices, fast shipping and you can take the wheels and rims to any tire place for mounting and balancing for about 50 bucks.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 AM

How about some of those rubber types. Seriously though, I'm not really educated on tires. Sorry...can't help.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Khumo SPT - low cost alternative
Goodyear G3DSwhateverthe#'sare - Great performer
Toyo T1-R/S - Best performance tire

All are summer only. I'd probably go with the Khumo's and save a whole lot of money. They're getting great reviews despite their low price. Low noise, high wear rating, great traction. Just not as big a name brand as Goodyear. Though the Toyo may edge them out in terms of ultimate performance.

CM
Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 PM

i used to own the yokahama perata spec II's....they had great grip and a bad **** tread design but they wore down pretty quick.

Nitto makes a real good tire too...you should look into them
Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

you are going to get a lot of different opinions on which tires are best/$$$

From my personal experience and not going into too much details:

BFGoodrich g-Force T/AŽ KDW - Good dry/wet traction. Stiff sidewall.
Falken Azenis ST-115 - Sticky and very quiet. Soft sidewall and treadlife could have been better though.
Nitto 450 and 555 - Good tires for its value. Got most miles out of them.
Few sets of Yokohama - Got least miles out of them but good summer tires when they are brand new.
Michelin Pilot A/S - Best all season tires IMO.