Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S?

Hey guys. Just curious to see if anybody has them and how they like them. They are currently tops on my list (after abandoning the Turanza LS-V's), and I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on them next weekend barring any pursuasive negative feedback on them.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 PM

I have the same question. I'm currently running Michelin MXV4 Plus and they are wearing out. Considering the Exalto, but I don't want more noise or harshness.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by goldmax
I have the same question. I'm currently running Michelin MXV4 Plus and they are wearing out. Considering the Exalto, but I don't want more noise or harshness.
From what I've been reading, they're suppose to be a rather quiet & comfortable performance tire. In one review I read, the dude said they rode like glass. Most encouraging.

I'm currently on Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce's (which are a grand touring tire. Could'a fooled me) and they ride like a Cleveland steamer. Pretty sure I got a low speed wobble in one, know they don't balance worth a turd, and could very well be making my car pull to the right. It's definately time for something else.

I was considering the LS-V's, cause I was looking for that buttery, smooth ride, but they're wicked expensive. I ruled out the popular Proxes 4 knowing they'd look a bit odd on my stock rims and suspension, and dumped the other Ultra high performance tires thinking that they'd be a little too solid for me comfort wise.

I guess that's how I found myself in the Performance category. (Exhalto's, Potenza G009's, Avid V4S & Traction T/A's.) After reading numerous reviews on Tire Rack, Epinions, and in some other automotive forums, the concensus seemed to be that they are a solid tire in all desireable categories. Comfort, wet & dry perform, noise & wear with some respectability in the snow department.

In terms of your comfort level, it's tough to say. You rode on MXV4 touring tires, which are designed to be comfy. I can only assume they might not be as comfortable as your MXV4's, but I really don't know. I'm hoping that they'll be more comfortable than my Pirelli's.

Hopefully, someone will chime in here and let us know how they like their Exaulto's. From the lack of responses though, it seems like no one has them.

Looks like it could be leap of faith time.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:49 PM

Yeah...from the writeups and ratings on TireRack, you would think the Exaltos were the best tire out there. It's a risk going with them, but the good thing is they are new, and hopefully have incorporated all new technology in them. The MXV4 Plus has been around for years virtually unchanged.

So, are you planning to swap to the Michelins, or just checking the waters like me?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I guess I'm doing a little bit of both. Testing the waters on here to see if anybody has them, and ready to pull the trigger on em given everything I've read about them. I think the only thing stopping me is my consideration of the Potenza G009's and trying to determine whether or not my alignment problem is a result of my tires or something in my suspension. I'd hate to get the Exaulto's and roast them because of a control arm or worn out bushing prob.

Like you, it does seem like they are the best tire out there. Given all the high marks, the positive reviews and general "good tire" vibe I get from them, I'm suprised that nobody on here has them. Perhaps it's because they're somewhat new, folks here are mostly rollin on Ultra highs or the price isn't right. I wonder if there is something we are missing? Anyway...

What other tires are in your mix?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:31 PM

I ended up getting another set of MXV4+s on Saturday. I stopped by Discount Tire and they had the Exalto A/S, but the dealer said it would definitely make much more noise as they got older due to the block design on the tread. For some reason they were $170 each for the SE's stock wheel. Forget it! He said most people liked the Exalto because it normally was much cheaper than the MXV4+. We just have a weird size. I ended up going with the V rated version this time. Had two tire dealers say the V rated tire had a softer compound and would give better handling and ride better. They were right...this set rides and handles much better than either of my previous H rated versions. Balances up extremely well also...giving me the best feel on the highway since the original set of tires 9 years ago. I made them use the road force balancing machine, and that probably made the difference. I'm very pleased with the tires. One other thing...Discount Tire said they were an official Michelin dealer, and the salesman went out and looked at my old tires and said Micheline would give me credit for my old tires since there was some slight cracking between the treads. I never saw the cracks, but he ended up giving me an instant $125 off the new set of tires. Unbelievable! They also have a $50 mail in rebate that makes the deal even sweeter. I'm a happy customer. The only other tire I was serious about was the Bridgestone RE960, but no one seems to have them in stock where I could see what they looked like. They are shown in all the car magazines, and it seem to be a cross of a performance and touring tire. It replaced the RE950 that so many people on the forum seem to like.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by goldmax
I ended up getting another set of MXV4+s on Saturday. For some reason they were $170 each for the SE's stock wheel. Forget it! He said most people liked the Exalto because it normally was much cheaper than the MXV4+. We just have a weird size. I ended up going with the V rated version this time. Had two tire dealers say the V rated tire had a softer compound and would give better handling and ride better. They were right...this set rides and handles much better than either of my previous H rated versions. Balances up extremely well also...giving me the best feel on the highway since the original set of tires 9 years ago. I made them use the road force balancing machine, and that probably made the difference. I'm very pleased with the tires. One other thing...Discount Tire said they were an official Michelin dealer, and the salesman went out and looked at my old tires and said Micheline would give me credit for my old tires since there was some slight cracking between the treads. I never saw the cracks, but he ended up giving me an instant $125 off the new set of tires. Unbelievable! They also have a $50 mail in rebate that makes the deal even sweeter. I'm a happy customer.
Yeah, when I called they wanted $170 for em too. Please. They do offer great free services, are willing to match competitor prices and buy your old tires back (if they're salvagable) but I kinda tuned out after the dude started pimpin all sorts of tires on me, giving me the ole "what's it gonna take to get you in some tires today" jive

I'm glad your happy with your purchase though. You certainly got a sweet deal. There's nothing like finally pulling the trigger on something and leaving supremely satisfied with it. Excellent.

I did happen to get some tires myself. I did a little calling around, and finally got my Exalto's at Dekalb tire for $123 each. Pretty good price. I just sent out the $50 mail in rebate to boot.

I, like you, am very satisfied with my purchase. They are everything I had hoped for. Quiet, grippy, and comfortable.

Here's to us and our new tires!

Cheers
Old 05-19-2006, 01:59 AM

Cool! Glad to hear those have worked out well for you. I haven't used Dekalb Tire in years due to where I live now. They have always seemed to offer great prices and service. I wish they would expand their store locations.

My MXV4+s are awesome. Never thought I would be this happy with them, but going with the V rated version has made all the difference. I still can't get over how smooth these things are...around town and at high speeds.

Give us an update as time goes on as to how well your Exaltos work out...my 4G Maxima may never wear out and I may keep it around for another set of tires!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Most certainly. I'll chime back in here after I put a few K on em. As of now, I'm diggin them big time. Isn't it wonderful to drive on quiet smooth tires!

Keep on enjoying yours and I'll do the same.

Take it easy goldmax!