Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx user, please step in...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 PM

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx user, please step in...

Hi guys,

I have been running Dunlop SP 9090 and I love them. Great wear, excellent wet traction, definitely good dry traction (although I heard not as good as SO2/3). I would call them as the "rain tire".

I tried the AS route, which is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and recently I had the opportunity to know that the A/S give out without warning at much lower grip threshold. Dunlops seem to give you plenty of warning before they let go. Even if they let go, they do it more progressively than the A/S.

Thus, I want to replace them with Dunlop Sport Maxx. Anybody running them? I was told to try Toyo Proxes 4 as well, many said that this tire actually owns the A/S both in rain and dry.

I could buy the Proxes for US$ 105 or so, or Dunlops around $ 130 in 235/45/17 (mounted on G35 coupe rims).
Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 PM

Im running on Dunlop Sport Max's but can't comment extensively on them because I just got em on this past Wednesday. I got them over the so-called new and improved RSA's, based on price and availability. I initially wanted to go with the 8000's, but they weremt availalbe. Anyways, I had cracking on the sidewalls and opted for these for only $36.00 per tire, after my pro-rated discount.

My initial response to the tires are, they handle very well in wet and dry conditions, coming up on winter Im hoping it will be a mild one and that'll be the true test on the tires, snow driving, although they're rated a 2 out of 10. So, my initial opinion is that so far so good, very good tread and cornering ability.

I also tried PM'ing someone who got these tires to ask there opinion but never heard back. Good luck....
Old 11-17-2006, 12:56 PM

Hey, shows hoew much I check my messages...here you go....

I don't know what to tell you about their snow rating - they're certainly not meant for the snow, but if you check TireRack you'd see that these have a higher customer rating in snow than the RSAs. I'm actually looking forward to trying the snow in them.

The grip is fantastic, even in the downpours in the Washington DC area. I've gone through the good sized puddles and flooded out areas and never experienced anytype of loss of control - then again I'm not doing 100mph if I know something is coming up - I'll certainly slow, but definately not crawling along.

I've put ~7,500 miles on mine in 4 months and they're still very quiet when dealing with the potholes assorted road issues. It's actually the first thing I noticed after getting them installed. It's nice not to hear every single piece of rock and gravel being driven over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banginbeats3
Hey,

I was running through the threads, saw your post. Im getting these tires installed this week, as a result of the RSA's cracking issue on the sidewalls. Anyways, was curious to your feedback on them. Im a little worried about thier ability in the snow, but read good things on how they handle in the rain, then decided to go with them from there....anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Old 11-17-2006, 01:28 PM

Bangin:

Seems to me that your impression is similar to what I have experienced with the SP 9090. My current 9090 are very good in the rain. Downpour or not.

I know that the 9090 are not that hot when the temp reaches around 40 or below (asphalt, no snow), they give up easier, but with more linear progression.

I am torn between this and the Toyo Proxes 4. Thanks for your comments though, I am leaning towards the Maxx now.