Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Ecsta ASX, SPT, BFG G-Force Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:28 PM

Ecsta ASX, SPT, BFG G-Force Sport?

So I'm way overdue for new tires (My Proxes have seen better days). Seeing as I live in Houston, and if it snows here I'm not even setting foot outside, much less driving, I figured summer tires would be just fine in the winter too (besides it will be hot outside again in three months anyway.) But I don't have any experience with summer tires, I always get all season. Anyone think that it's a bad idea to put some Kumho Ecsta SPTs or BFG G-force sports on? 35-40 degrees is about the coldest it gets normally, is that too cold for these tires?

My other option is to just go with Ecsta ASX or some other decent priced all season(I can't afford too much for tires right now). I'm also considering Falken Ziex 512s.

If someone has another suggestion for tires I would like to hear.

It seems that Tire rack has the best prices I can find (with shipping and everything included)
BFG G-force sports - $335
Ecsta SPT - $300
Ecsta ASX - $310
Falken Ziex 512 - $335 at edge racing

This thread was prompted because earlier I decided to see how quickly I could stop when the light turned yellow. lol (no one around). Car started sliding with just moderate braking (it was wet though, but I know it used to perform much better on wet roads)
Old 12-11-2006, 02:41 PM

Interested in this too. I am looking for summer tires for year round also. (I live in San Diego).
Old 12-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im also looking to replace my OEM ContiTouringContacts and right now Im leaning towards the BFG Sports. I commute mostly on highways...and living in SoCal I dont anticipate encountering much snow so AllSeason isnt a route that Im headed either.

On TireRack and DiscountTire these tires seem to have the highest overall customer satisfaction in terms of performance and price. With the holidays here Im certainly looking for the best bang for my buck and think Ive found them in the BFG Sports! Good luck on your research and let us know what you end up deciding on.

Ray
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 PM

I think I will either go with the BFGs or the Ecsta SPts. based off of the reviews on Tirerack the SPTs perform better in the rain, and about equal in dry. It's a close race, but since a set of SPts is like 35 bucks cheaper, why not just get the SPTs? I am not too concerned wit treadwear. As long as they last 15K miles or more I will be happy (by then I will be gainfully employed theorectically).
Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 AM

the bfg's arent so good in the rain
Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 AM

below 44-45 degrees f a summer tire is almost useless.. the rubber is too soft and will be like a rock.. but if it doesnt freeze(im in canada m summers were off in late oct) they are ok if you are careful driving.. the bfg's arerent too great in the rain tho
Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 AM

double post oops
Old 12-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Jbeau: In Canada BFG's wouldnt suit you...but here in Southern Cali, it hardly dips below 60 and summers last all year long. The BFG Sports will do me some good tearing up asphalt. Majority of people who run these tires rave about its wet & dry traction so Im sure I'll be lucky enough to have the same experience soon...tires will be mounted this Saturday!!!

Ray
Old 12-18-2006, 02:44 AM

I just bought a pair of General Exclaim UHP to replace Michelin A/S. I know this tire is not in your list, but if you are interested in knowing my experience, I will post it here.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by RaiderMax
Jbeau: In Canada BFG's wouldnt suit you...but here in Southern Cali, it hardly dips below 60 and summers last all year long. The BFG Sports will do me some good tearing up asphalt. Majority of people who run these tires rave about its wet & dry traction so Im sure I'll be lucky enough to have the same experience soon...tires will be mounted this Saturday!!!

Ray
I know now they wont but our summer is quite warm.. I run toyo t1r's and they have amazing wet traction.. I deal in tires and have had customer reviews on the bfg's that werent so great
Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was looking into the T1R's but couldnt get a fair deal for those. I'll post my experience with the BFG Sports after I run them over the next couple of weeks. Hope your first-hand customer experience isnt my experience...dont want to be stuck with tires that dont perform.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 PM

thats why i got the toyos.. i got a killer deal or i certainly couldnt afford em either, even at my cost they were rediculous.. but i can drop my clutch at 2500-3000rpm and grip in the rain
Old 12-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Well I got the SPTs
I like them. They are quite sticky and they stopped very well on the wet roads (stomped the brake peddle several times on slick roads and the tires stuck). I haven't really tested them out a whole lot yet but I did play around with them and they are good. I have this feeling they won't last too long