Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Rant about my cheap ***

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM

Rant about my cheap ***

This is my first winter with the Maxima so I need snow tires. I've bought used rims and tires for my other cars (Ford, Honda, VW <-- Hated that bastage, Mazda) with out issue.

I come to find the used tire market for a package that will fit my car is pretty lean. I can't find a set of 225/60/16's for a reasonable price so I buy used tires from Cheap Thrills a used tire place that's been in business for ever. I buy multifit steel wheels for Canadian Tire (the canuck version of Pep Boys) and some hubcentric rigs so I don't get "teh shimmy"

- Rims come in, one of them is a 4-bolt. Hub rings don't fit. Order another rim, and try to get different rings but they don't have the correct size. Hello shimmy.

- Rim comes in Portuguese kid woking behind the counter can't find it. I tell him it's here, I got a phone call and the person told me they were looking at the rim. He calls me a "Filha da Puta" under his breath not knowing I speak Portuguese (I'm Greek but speak a bit of Porkchop) arguement insues. I leave with my rim.

- I take the rims and tires back to Cheap Thrills to have them mounted. As I'm loading the tires I notice two of them are cupped really bad. When I get there he let's me swap them but I have to go out to the shed to grap them. It starts pissing rain. Pick out two other decent tires but I have to wait an hour for them to get them mounted. I go to some god forsaken mall a few minutes away (Milton Mall if you happen to be from the area) I go to the food court and the only thing that have that looks decent (big stretch) is A&W. I order something that sounds good but it turns out to be a veggie burger.

- I head back to Cheap Thrills (I just like saying that) and get stuck at a rail road crossing for 45mins. Two problems with this... there's no train at the crossing and there's a cops sitting two cars back so I can't squirt throught the gates.

- Pick up my tires load 'em in my car and head home. FF to 5:00 and I head out to put the rims on the car. Can;t find the key for the wheel locks. I bought the car in June 06 and haven't had to pop the wheels off yet. I have to go to the dealership to get a key tomorrow.

- I have a peek at the tire and realize one of them is mounted wrong (they're directional) Cheap Trills is closed tomorrow so I have to go on Wednesday to have it re-mounted.

Cliffs: I suck at being cheap. Next time I'll buy new tires and be done with it.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:46 PM

I just got some 17" rims ($115), aftermarket, for the 2005 and M3 Dunlops. Not cheap but should be good for the winter (rains here alot). With my old maxima (1992) I put on snows and, with front wheel drive and limited slip, that car never got stuck.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by HADA 11
This is my first winter with the Maxima so I need snow tires. I've bought used rims and tires for my other cars (Ford, Honda, VW <-- Hated that bastage, Mazda) with out issue.

I come to find the used tire market for a package that will fit my car is pretty lean. I can't find a set of 225/60/16's for a reasonable price so I buy used tires from Cheap Thrills a used tire place that's been in business for ever. I buy multifit steel wheels for Canadian Tire (the canuck version of Pep Boys) and some hubcentric rigs so I don't get "teh shimmy"

- Rims come in, one of them is a 4-bolt. Hub rings don't fit. Order another rim, and try to get different rings but they don't have the correct size. Hello shimmy.

- Rim comes in Portuguese kid woking behind the counter can't find it. I tell him it's here, I got a phone call and the person told me they were looking at the rim. He calls me a "Filha da Puta" under his breath not knowing I speak Portuguese (I'm Greek but speak a bit of Porkchop) arguement insues. I leave with my rim.

- I take the rims and tires back to Cheap Thrills to have them mounted. As I'm loading the tires I notice two of them are cupped really bad. When I get there he let's me swap them but I have to go out to the shed to grap them. It starts pissing rain. Pick out two other decent tires but I have to wait an hour for them to get them mounted. I go to some god forsaken mall a few minutes away (Milton Mall if you happen to be from the area) I go to the food court and the only thing that have that looks decent (big stretch) is A&W. I order something that sounds good but it turns out to be a veggie burger.

- I head back to Cheap Thrills (I just like saying that) and get stuck at a rail road crossing for 45mins. Two problems with this... there's no train at the crossing and there's a cops sitting two cars back so I can't squirt throught the gates.

- Pick up my tires load 'em in my car and head home. FF to 5:00 and I head out to put the rims on the car. Can;t find the key for the wheel locks. I bought the car in June 06 and haven't had to pop the wheels off yet. I have to go to the dealership to get a key tomorrow.

- I have a peek at the tire and realize one of them is mounted wrong (they're directional) Cheap Trills is closed tomorrow so I have to go on Wednesday to have it re-mounted.

Cliffs: I suck at being cheap. Next time I'll buy new tires and be done with it.
Point of order: Will 16" wheels clear the front calipers?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:45 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
Point of order: Will 16" wheels clear the front calipers?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NO!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

DUDE YOUR GONNA FCUKIN LOOSE YOUR MIND WHEN YOU FIND OUT THE 16" wont clear the caliper.

LMFAO!!! ohh man i feel for ya man.

Kamsk
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM

why is it that i always hear that the canadians buy used tires?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
KC's FINEST

Is this a 6th gen??

oops.... you should'a looked around a little more.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:22 PM

If you have a 6th gen, the 16's will certainly not fit the front.. Found that out when I tried using my 16" rims off my 5th gen I did however find a great deal on some used Pirelli's at Burlington Tire.. They had 5000 Km on them and I got them for half price. They set me up with some nice aftermarket rims ($150 each) also. With the weather we've been having lately, I'm starting to wonder if we really need winter tires though.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM

LOL...

I'll do a swap at the tire place Wednesday