Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Wheel paint/temperature

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Wheel paint/temperature

Do wheels see above 200 degrees Fahrenheit (the car will be pushed, I won't be babying it)? Reason being that I'm trying to figure out what to paint them with and most Rustoleum (the only thing I can find) shouldn't be applied on surfaces that will exceed that temperature. I was thinking "no" at first, but then I remembered someone's experience (Matt93?) of melting off their stick-on wheel weights at the track...
Old 08-07-2008, 10:18 AM

What do you mean by the car will be pushed? Lets just say I've driven my car pretty dang hard before and my wheel temperatures (was just curious one time and measured with an infrared thermometer my friend had for his RC car) were a bit less than 200 degrees from brake temps. Then again, one time I had some fun in a canyon and ended up really cooking my brakes from repeated hard stops to the point of nasty brake fade. I would say my wheels got so hot I couldn't touch them for a second.

So like I said it all depends on what you mean by "pushed", if are going to take it to the track, you might have to get some high temp paint.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM

why not go to an auto store and buy paint made for wheels?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
What do you mean by the car will be pushed? Lets just say I've driven my car pretty dang hard before and my wheel temperatures (was just curious one time and measured with an infrared thermometer my friend had for his RC car) were a bit less than 200 degrees from brake temps. Then again, one time I had some fun in a canyon and ended up really cooking my brakes from repeated hard stops to the point of nasty brake fade. I would say my wheels got so hot I couldn't touch them for a second.

So like I said it all depends on what you mean by "pushed", if are going to take it to the track, you might have to get some high temp paint.
I mean tortured. I see track days in my future.

That's definitely some good info on the infrared thermo though, thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
why not go to an auto store and buy paint made for wheels?
I really only have Autozone and Kragen's around here, haven't seen any wheel paint at either although I'll admit I haven't explicitly looked. I'll check em out today.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 AM

as long as the wheel is prepped right and u use high temp primer you will be fine
Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
I really only have Autozone and Kragen's around here, haven't seen any wheel paint at either although I'll admit I haven't explicitly looked. I'll check em out today.
Kragen has wheel paint. it's in the spray can section. i've bought a few cans before. dont forget to use aircraft paint stripper. that stuff is hardcore so watch out. it'll eat up the original coating and whatevers on there down to the bare aluminum.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:07 PM

I actually went to kragen and got some, thanks fools

You're a day and a half too late with the stripper warning I've been slaving over this for about 2 days now trying to get this crap off, finally I asked the home depot guy what the strongest stuff they had was and he gave me some of this stuff. Ate through a plastic cup in a matter of seconds.

They're stripped except for a few tiny spots so now it's to sanding 'em down... luckily I have some spare wheels to get around with...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM

AutoZone has wheel paint also. about $5.99 or so a can.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Offset Is Everything.

I actually went to kragen and got some, thanks fools

You're a day and a half too late with the stripper warning I've been slaving over this for about 2 days now trying to get this crap off, finally I asked the home depot guy what the strongest stuff they had was and he gave me some of this stuff. Ate through a plastic cup in a matter of seconds.

They're stripped except for a few tiny spots so now it's to sanding 'em down... luckily I have some spare wheels to get around with...
LAME. you should've picked up that paint stripper at Kragen too. wouldve saved you the trouble of sanding.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:24 PM

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html
Can be found at autozone.
I am stripping my stock 5 spokes this weekend. Black rims, gold center caps and chrome lugs looked bad *** on a white car. Now from the duplicolor site for wheel paint just use one of the 5 colors and clear for added protection. They talk nothing of priming the wheels. I was thinking bronze or just sand and polish them, add clear. I love the stock wheels
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 AM

painting the Z wheels?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
painting the Z wheels?

http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...ml#post6566662

Still keeping the Zs until I get bigger brakes... then if they don't fit they might have to go
Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Offset Is Everything.

http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...ml#post6566662

Still keeping the Zs until I get bigger brakes... then if they don't fit they might have to go
come join the bbk club.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
come join the bbk club.
Dude my stock brakes are failing so hard now... I put some HPS pads in the front like 6 months ago too (and the rear pads are in great condition..).

When I go BBK I'd like to get some Wilwood 4 pistons and whatever the biggest rotors I can fit for cheap are... probably wind up with Cobras and Wilwoods.

I dunno I'd really like to do it "right" and save unsprung weight with light 17s and 2 piece rotors but at this point it is just too much money.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Offset Is Everything.

Dude my stock brakes are failing so hard now... I put some HPS pads in the front like 6 months ago too (and the rear pads are in great condition..).

When I go BBK I'd like to get some Wilwood 4 pistons and whatever the biggest rotors I can fit for cheap are... probably wind up with Cobras and Wilwoods.

I dunno I'd really like to do it "right" and save unsprung weight with light 17s and 2 piece rotors but at this point it is just too much money.
for those Wilwood Superlites, its definitely a savings in unsprung weight. but man, those 2-piece rotors, thats a killer in trying to keep it under budget. lightweight bbk + large 2piece rotors + cheap doesnt really work too well. i say go for the Wilwood kit. do it "right" so to speak. any weight savings is weight savings. then again if youre 250+ lbs, hahah. I would've gone that direction but I got this z32 kit for a really good price.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:44 AM
wat

I guess im a little late to the topic but, I haven't had any problems w/ my rustoleum painted wheels. The duplicolor wheel paint doesn't look nearly as good as rustoleum does. Ive taken my maxima to an autocross and used to go to the drag strip every other weekend with it.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

This is what I used to paint my 300zx wheels http://www.cacustomcoatings.com/brcapaca.html

very good stuff
Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
for those Wilwood Superlites, its definitely a savings in unsprung weight. but man, those 2-piece rotors, thats a killer in trying to keep it under budget. lightweight bbk + large 2piece rotors + cheap doesnt really work too well. i say go for the Wilwood kit. do it "right" so to speak. any weight savings is weight savings. then again if youre 250+ lbs, hahah. I would've gone that direction but I got this z32 kit for a really good price.
Eh the unsprung weight savings of the superlights isn't what I was concerned about (since it's not rotational mass), I just wanted a real caliper and not the weaksauce OEM stuff, supposedly the Wilwoods bite down a lot harder than the Z32s... also kind of cool to have your calipers say Wilwood than Nissan, but that concern was just a little secondary.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:56 PM

Honestly, if i were to do it again, id get Wilwoods/brembo/ap racing. My Z32 setup had some good inital bite, much better then stock, then i drove a twin turbo G35 coupe with the full AP racing bbk and it made my car feel worse then a dump truck. Honestly, everytime you hit the brakes, my azz slid out the seat. that thing had some INSANE brakes and even more forward momentum (450whp)
Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Offset Is Everything.

well i locked up my fronts the other day. that definitely was not fun. it really didnt take much either, also taking into consideration i dont have ABS. had to pump em to get back some grip. total weaksauce.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 AM

You should know how to threshold brake, especially if you've got no ABS...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Offset Is Everything.

You should know how to threshold brake, especially if you've got no ABS...
locked em up again last night cuz this deuschebag didnt know how to merge into traffic. this guy almost caused a 3 car accident. i've learned the threshold so no worries just no room to maneuver or time to modulate.