Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

Tire Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009 | 06:03 PM

Tire Suggestions

So I am in need a new set of tires and was wondering if I could get some pointers from some who have expierenced good performance without spending a crapload of money. I am hearing the pilot's A/S are pretty good all around.

I am running on the falken ZE-912 245/45 on stock 17's. They seen to be pretty good for most part but cornering hard I get squealing maybe due to the sidewall design.

I was looking for a tire with a higher speed rating than 130mph, I'd like to max this baby out one day. Was looking at the Falken FK-452's.

I also live in colorado, the ZE-912's suck in the snow, lol. I know the 452's probaby won't be any better in snow but I mostly looking for dry performace but would like something decent in the snow if any of you have any suggestions. thanks
Old 11-03-2009 | 06:33 PM

No idea how you are getting away with 245/45/17 on your stock rims??

I'd say you need to SERIOUSLY consider buying a set of dedicated snow tires/rims.
No such tire as good hi-perf summer, and decent in the snow -- okay, except MAYBE Michelin PS A/S OR Bridgestone 960 A/S -- but neither of those is REALLy great at either end of the spectrum.

You need to either compromise, or go one way or the other....being on budget, your options are severely limited -- and NEITHER of those two A/S tires are cheap AT ALL.

Sorry man -- this is THE OLDEST tire conundrum in the book...take your pick, you can't have your cake and eat it too, in this case.

gr
Old 11-04-2009 | 11:19 AM

Nitto NeoGen is high performance A/S tire and they look hella nice!
Old 11-04-2009 | 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
No idea how you are getting away with 245/45/17 on your stock rims??

I'd say you need to SERIOUSLY consider buying a set of dedicated snow tires/rims.
No such tire as good hi-perf summer, and decent in the snow -- okay, except MAYBE Michelin PS A/S OR Bridgestone 960 A/S -- but neither of those is REALLy great at either end of the spectrum.

You need to either compromise, or go one way or the other....being on budget, your options are severely limited -- and NEITHER of those two A/S tires are cheap AT ALL.

Sorry man -- this is THE OLDEST tire conundrum in the book...take your pick, you can't have your cake and eat it too, in this case.

gr
I've had no problems with 245/45/17 on stock rims, I drove on them for 2 years in all conditions.

I know if I get a set of snow tires I will regret it in the summer, lol so I was looking for a tire that would do ok in the snow and great on dry with a speed rating of over 130mph.

I guess I could get 2 for now and then get 2 more in a few months, this way i could spend a little extra and get better tires in the long run.

I found a set Continental ContiTouringContact for a good price, does anyone know if they are a decent tire?
Old 11-04-2009 | 08:47 PM

I just came across these tires used, guy says they have at least 80% tread. I might just get these for $250, might even be able to talk em down

BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S 235/45/17

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1451762220.html
Old 11-04-2009 | 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by MaxinO2
So I am in need a new set of tires and was wondering if I could get some pointers from some who have expierenced good performance without spending a crapload of money. I am hearing the pilot's A/S are pretty good all around.

I am running on the falken ZE-912 245/45 on stock 17's. They seen to be pretty good for most part but cornering hard I get squealing maybe due to the sidewall design.

I was looking for a tire with a higher speed rating than 130mph, I'd like to max this baby out one day. Was looking at the Falken FK-452's.

I also live in colorado, the ZE-912's suck in the snow, lol. I know the 452's probaby won't be any better in snow but I mostly looking for dry performace but would like something decent in the snow if any of you have any suggestions. thanks
Whoa! I have got the tire for you:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS Brand new redesign of the original ContiExtremeContact; which was the top Ultra High Performance Tire for performance car lovers that live where it snows.

The new tire is even better than the original, mileage warranty increased from 40,000 to 50,000 miles. UTOG 540 AA A 6 Year manufacturing defect warranty. I just bought a pair of 225X50X17 and had them mounted and balanced today. Got them from TireRack.

For your 245 X 45 X 17 size, the TireRack price is only $108.00 per tire!!!
These are 1 ply polyester sidewall (very strong and very flexible which is one of the reasons they are so good in wet and snow:big footprints!) and 5 ply tread: 1 polyester, 2 steel belts and 2 polyaramid belts.
My original ContiExtremeContact lasted 2 years of commuting: about 50,000 miles. never got a flat, no issues whatsoever. Great tires. Here is a link to your tire size at TireRacK;

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Tire Rack testing them on their race oval. They ranked the redesigned Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires above last year's (2008) Ultra High Performance winner; Michelin's Pilot Sport A/S Plus and only 5/100th of a point behind the 2009 winner: Pirelli's P Zero Nero All Season.

$108.00 a tire for the best all-weather, including snow Ultra High Perf Tire.
What's not to like. I was really tempted to get the 245X45X17 myself. Guess they must fit the Max if you've got them. I wasn't worried about the rim because the manufacturer says the rim size can be from 7 to 9 ".

Good luck with your new tires. Really great tire and Bang for the Buck.
Old 11-05-2009 | 07:03 PM

Perfect, I did some reading and heard great reviews on the Continental Extreme Contact DWS on dry and wet/snow.. I think I might just go with these.. These are a great price and look like they will do everything I need them to.