3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:02 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by whattingh
Hi.
I haven't had the time to strip it totally open but thought I would ask here if someone know maybe. I have a knocking sound coming from the distributor, almost sound like a bearing going bad. I did quickly remove the distributor cap and the rotor and cap looks fine. What could be the problem? I'm fairly new to the maxima mechanicals. Any thoughts would help.

Thanks
sounds like you need to replace your timing belt and timing belt tensioner.

--->http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=102680
Old 12-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Odds are that your factory amps were already bypassed. Check out the colors wired into the clarion harness and match them to what you see at the speakers in the back.

You should be able to get a manual for the clarion at their site.
The headunit I have is a Pioneer, the one that was in was the factory stereo, and it was not originally Bose equipped. The amp was still hooked up. I will just have to trace the wires from the dash back. They appear to be different colors, but I am colorblind, lol. It sucks when it comes to wiring thats for sure
Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Not new to cars!

Fan Switch problem...

The blower fan (Heat and A/C) is no longer working on the slower speed settings. It does however work on the highest setting.
I've been informed that I need to replace the Heater A/C blower fan RESISTOR. Anything else while I replace this?
Is it an easy repair, and where is it located on an 89 Maxima?
Any HELP is always welcomed and very much appreciated, thank you in advance.

(Nothing found for this subject using a Google search for Maxima heater a/c resistor for this forum.)
Old 12-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by SparrowHawk
The blower fan (Heat and A/C) is no longer working on the slower speed settings. It does however work on the highest setting.
I've been informed that I need to replace the Heater A/C blower fan RESISTOR. Anything else while I replace this?

(Nothing found for this subject using a Google search for Maxima heater a/c resistor for this forum.)
from what i read, the repair itself is easy. getting to the part(behind the glovebox btw) more difficult...
Old 12-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Not new to cars!

Originally Posted by benstoked
from what i read, the repair itself is easy. getting to the part(behind the glovebox btw) more difficult...
I still need to locate this part in order to replace it. Any one with a how to do it post or info?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i drive an automatic 1990 gxe with all the options, and my power windows go down but not up from the driver's side, so i have to lean to the door's window to make it go back up. Do i just need to go to a scrapyard and get a new driver's power window panel?

also my trunk button and keyless entry system are unresponsive. any ideas?
yup, i'm a noob...
Old 12-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what do you mean you have to lean? Like pushing against the inner lining of the door? If so, I would highly suspect that the rubbers for your window track are hardened. You can do two things:

spray silicone based lubricant onto the tracks and see if it helps

Buy new window tracks.

Trunk button unresponsiveness may be due to electrical problem, could be fuse, the wires leading to the mechanisms..etc

keyless unresponsiveness may be due to falty control pads, loose/rotten wires, control box is damaged.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Not new to cars!

Originally Posted by sleeevuh
hey i drive an automatic 1990 gxe with all the options, and my power windows go down but not up from the driver's side, so i have to lean to the door's window to make it go back up. Do i just need to go to a scrapyard and get a new driver's power window panel?
also my trunk button and keyless entry system are unresponsive. any ideas? yup, i'm a noob...

Sounds like you might very well need a new "Master Switch"! Fits into the arm rest on the drivers side door. You can find one on Ebay, and it's a pretty easy replacement (having done it myself).
Other problem sounds like it could be the relay in the trunk that controls these two items. Did you check the battery on your fob? Key less enter could be the touch panel on the outside of the car, real pain in the butt to change out, and if you do it may very well not be the same code, another problem...

If your going to mess with the master switch you might want to add the auto feature to it as well, here's a link to a site with some how to do it's! http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/
There is also info here on the wireless wire codes!

Last edited by SparrowHawk; 12-15-2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by disgruntled
what do you mean you have to lean? Like pushing against the inner lining of the door? If so, I would highly suspect that the rubbers for your window track are hardened. You can do two things:

spray silicone based lubricant onto the tracks and see if it helps

Buy new window tracks.

Trunk button unresponsiveness may be due to electrical problem, could be fuse, the wires leading to the mechanisms..etc

keyless unresponsiveness may be due to falty control pads, loose/rotten wires, control box is damaged.
no no, i have to push the button on the door of the window itself to make it go up. they go up and down just fine...
as for the trunk, i did find that the wires coming from the car and attaching to the trunk arm had split apart completely, so i hooked them back up so now my trunk light works but the trunk button is still not working.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM

Transmission Leak

What is this. I have had my transmission pulled and the front seal and Torque Converter were replaced. It went in for a transmission leak that I saw in this picture. It cost a world of money to be replaced, but something is still coming out of here, and i believe it is transmission fluid. I really want to know why it is coming out of here. Transmissions leaks aren't good or cheap, and after the price I paid, I want this to stop. Any chance it could be normal? I wiped it off and it came back...

Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by augiedog964
What is this. I have had my transmission pulled and the front seal and Torque Converter were replaced. It went in for a transmission leak that I saw in this picture. It cost a world of money to be replaced, but something is still coming out of here, and i believe it is transmission fluid. I really want to know why it is coming out of here. Transmissions leaks aren't good or cheap, and after the price I paid, I want this to stop. Any chance it could be normal? I wiped it off and it came back...

Is it pinkish in color?(sorry cant see in the pic,too small)

If it is,then yes it is transmission fluid,if it's light brown/dark brown,then it's most likely engine oil coming from the rear main seal..
Old 12-15-2007, 06:20 PM

I do believe that it was brownish, I suppose that it may be oil. I hate to sound like a noob, but I am, so I will. Is the rear main seal one specific piece, or can there be a rear main seal for both tranny and engine. It is brown, so tht must be oil it says that these were replaced (oil pressure switch, and rear main seal, could some just be left over in tht area.) Idk if u could tell from the picture but trans is on the right and exhaust is on left if tht give u a better idea of where the pic is.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I do believe that it was brownish, I suppose that it may be oil. I hate to sound like a noob, but I am, so I will. Is the rear main seal one specific piece, or can there be a rear main seal for both tranny and engine. It is brown, so tht must be oil it says that these were replaced (oil pressure switch, and rear main seal, could some just be left over in tht area.) Idk if u could tell from the picture but trans is on the right and exhaust is on left if tht give u a better idea of where the pic is.
does it return when you wipe it off?
and is it coming from between the engine and tranny?

as for being noobish, just learn
thats the only way anyone can ever stop
Old 12-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Well, I have determined it is oil! Yay! Not really a good thing still, but beats a transmission leak anyday. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if it is at the connection between engine and trans or not. It may be... Can u tell anything from tht picture, or if I made it bigger. Exhaust is thing on left if tht helps at all.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Well, I have determined it is oil! Yay! Not really a good thing still, but beats a transmission leak anyday. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if it is at the connection between engine and trans or not. It may be... Can u tell anything from tht picture, or if I made it bigger. Exhaust is thing on left if tht helps at all.
A better pic may help.
don't resize that one, if you got a larger original, just use that.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:09 PM

Here's a bigger picture, any good? Thnks for the help
Old 12-16-2007, 01:49 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yes,the rear engine seal is a separate part from the trans seal,whoever replaced it may have bungled the job(messed up the seal as they installed it),or they didn't install one at all,i suggest you take the car back and demand they make it right.

does it return when you wipe it off?
and is it coming from between the engine and tranny?

as for being noobish, just learn
thats the only way anyone can ever stop
Read his original post..

From what i can tell in the picture,it is coming from the rear engine seal..
Old 12-16-2007, 09:27 AM

It is a small leak, very rare anything drips, can I live with this for a while until I have time to take car of it, or could it be something that needs to be fixed immediately
Old 12-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Alex_V

yes you can, but just check the oil regularly. My rear main as been dripping for about 10K miles, and I'm going to get to it soon. Not bad mind you but where I park is getting pretty dark...

~Alex

Old 12-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can someone tell me where the ECU box is located on a 92? My Haynes manual just says it's "under the dash", but I couldn't find it.

thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by jimktm
Can someone tell me where the ECU box is located on a 92? My Haynes manual just says it's "under the dash", but I couldn't find it.

thanks
Post#19 in the general maintenance sticky..then when you are through reading,read the rest of the maintenance sticky..
Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Not new to cars!

The Hayes manual for this car is usless when it comes to finding this part.
Other than taking apart everything on the passenger side, is there an easier way to replace this part. Any links or how to do it posts?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

The Hayes manual for this car is usless when it comes to finding this part.
Other than taking apart everything on the passenger side, is there an easier way to replace this part. Any links or how to do it posts?
This how to page may help you..

http://www.geocities.com/cbmaxima/maxima/ACC/ACC.html
Old 12-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Not new to cars!

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Thank you, that helps a lot.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does any one here know where I can get Cold Air Intake for my 89 maxima. Its the SE so its a v6 3.0 liter
Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by 3rd Gen Ricer
Does any one here know where I can get Cold Air Intake for my 89 maxima. Its the SE so its a v6 3.0 liter
here's a link to an intake thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=379935

I'll let you make the decision of how to go.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

here's a link to an intake thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=379935

I'll let you make the decision of how to go.

Thanks man ive been looking for days
Old 12-18-2007, 08:12 AM

heres one thats been pissing me off for the last week...my idle seems to keep going up....it was at 1500 on and off for a while...i ran obdII and code one code for TPS....i replaced it....after a few days it was back to 700 for a while...all of a sudden it went up to 1800....then 2000...now 2200....wtf? its been 5 days and idn whats wrong. any one help me out here? pm me if you want
Old 12-18-2007, 08:58 AM
mod or sell?

you can't run OBDII
Old 12-18-2007, 10:31 AM

well snap on modis runs on any diagnonstics system....it gave me the codes....but do you have any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM
mod or sell?

the codes it gave you are NOT obdII. OBDII is from 96 up (some 95 cars support it as well, even some 94 cars have the connector but not the codes)
the Modis is pulling codes from the ECU much like a consult does
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
I used the older MT2500 myself but it does not tell you OBDII codes (which all start with a "P")

any which way, you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere causing the problem.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by drftking1
well snap on modis runs on any diagnonstics system....it gave me the codes....but do you have any suggestions?
ran a quick search, found this
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396843highlight=high+idle

any help?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have finally found the air intake I want and now im looking for Some LED tail lights for my 89 Max, any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I have finally found the air intake I want and now im looking for Some LED tail lights for my 89 Max, any suggestions?
AutoZone?

edit: wait, did you want new lenses or just bulbs?

Last edited by BenStoked; 12-19-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:04 AM
mod or sell?

make your own
Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 AM

thanks benstoked that thread was what i was looking for
Old 12-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima89

Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey everyone i'm new to this but i was wondering has anyone did a engine swap from a single to a dual over head in their 89maxima or is there a way to build the single to make run like a dual hooked up?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by layten85
hey everyone i'm new to this but i was wondering has anyone did a engine swap from a single to a dual over head in their 89maxima or is there a way to build the single to make run like a dual hooked up?
I am going to do this swap in the next couple of weeks. I found a donor car that looks like crap but has a great motor and tranny. From everything I can find out about this swap, it is pretty much a direct swap other than you must also change out the ECU. With that said, that is why I bought a whole car....so I can get the wiring harness and not have to splice wires. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:01 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by layten85
no one on this board has done a sohc to dohc swap,one guy attempted it,but gave up after finding out it was anything but a direct swap..As far as building a sohc run like a dohc?I'm not sure what you are wanting to know here?

Originally Posted by Mike90SE
I am going to do this swap in the next couple of weeks. I found a donor car that looks like crap but has a great motor and tranny. From everything I can find out about this swap, it is pretty much a direct swap other than you must also change out the ECU. With that said, that is why I bought a whole car....so I can get the wiring harness and not have to splice wires. I will keep everyone posted.
Definitely keep us posted!

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)