4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Passenger Door is stuck locked!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Passenger Door is stuck locked!

At first the passenger side door on my car wouldn't always lock correctly. I'd hit the electronic lock button from the driver side door and it wouldn't always lock. The lock button stuck open just a little bit. Over the weekend I pushed hard on the lock button and it locked. The only problem is it stayed locked. It doesen't matter what I do I can't get the door to open up. I've included a link of a youtube video that shows exactly what happens when I try to unlock the door.

1998 Maxima GXE

Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jomo
At first the passenger side door on my car wouldn't always lock correctly. I'd hit the electronic lock button from the driver side door and it wouldn't always lock. The lock button stuck open just a little bit. Over the weekend I pushed hard on the lock button and it locked. The only problem is it stayed locked. It doesen't matter what I do I can't get the door to open up. I've included a link of a youtube video that shows exactly what happens when I try to unlock the door.

1998 Maxima GXE
Will it let you manually unlock that door (without using the power lock/unlock)? If you can't manually unlock the door to get it open, try pulling the fuse for the power locks and try unlocking it manually so you can get the door open to take the panel off and see whats going on inside there.

If that all fails, see if you can pop the plastic piece off that surrounds the door handle and see if you can verify that all the rods are connected to the handle. May be something simple there that is making that lock bind. If its not connected to the door handle, that would explain the "no resistance" on the door handle. Since you "pushed hard on the lock button" maybe something came undone..

Not sure if any of that will work, but thats what I would try first. Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I can get the lock button in the open position but the door will still not open. I cracked open the door panel as far open as I could get it with the door closed and it looks like the handle is still working. I see a long metal rod moving when I pull the handle. Unfortunately whatever that metal rod is connected to must of come undone. If I knew more about the mechanics of what was going on inside the door when the door handle gets pulled I might be able to find out why its no opening.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 AM

The inside and outside door handles have separate rods that both connect at the same pivot point. If that pivot point is broken....

The only way i see u gonna be able to open the door is that u have to get to the latch assembly. To get to the latch assembly u have to get to through the door panel. Might have to rip the panel off completely. Follow the linkage rods to the pivot point and try to push at the point to open the door.

Its gonna be a bish, but i think this is your only option. unless someone else can chime in
Old 08-01-2012, 05:49 AM

I can get the lock button in the open position but the door will still not open. I cracked open the door panel as far open as I could get it with the door closed and it looks like the handle is still working. I see a long metal rod moving when I pull the handle. Unfortunately whatever that metal rod is connected to must of come undone. If I knew more about the mechanics of what was going on inside the door when the door handle gets pulled I might be able to find out why its no opening.
you'll find out if you completely remove the door panel are start looking deeper for the cause of your problem.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 AM

what happens when all the other doors are locked and that one is finally open for 5 seconds? you cant open the door real quick from the outside? to get it open?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 AM

Take the door panel off and fix it.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 AM

IIRC, if the door won't open and you have to take off the panel completely you need to remove the passenger seat to get it off completely.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Take the door panel off and fix it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hqr2feh7bk
Dude can't take the door panel off like that if he can't open his door LOL. Only way to get it off is by damaging it.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Can't you get a tow truck driver to go in with a slim jim? Depending on how f'ed up the linkage is, I'd think it might work.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM

there probably plenty of way he could get the door open. it just takes the right tools and the right person there doing it.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any suggestions on how to get this door panel off are fully welcome.

I guess the only real way is to loosen up the panel and go in from the top down and see what I do.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 AM

Any suggestions on how to get this door panel off are fully welcome.

I guess the only real way is to loosen up the panel and go in from the top down and see what I do.
Doubt you wanna hear my suggestion, but here it is. Take it to the dealer. My D/S rear door had the same issue. They removed the panel and lubed they latch for me. It works great now. Best part is I used to be their Service Writer, no charge

Last edited by N3SQV; 08-03-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 AM

yeah see if you can get the top half off and a few clips popped out. then you might be able to bend your panel back somewhat and get in there with your arm or something and work the latch manually. might get a little crease in your panel or something at the worst.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM

Wondering if you were able to fix. I have a 99 Maxima SE and the front passenger door got locked yesterday. It wouldn't open using the remote or the key. Lock button seems to be functioning properly(from the movement I see it locks/unlocks) but it wouldn't open the door though.

Who would be able to fix it other than the dealer? Any locksmith or any specialized shop?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM

I doubt if a lock smith would, but ask a couple. I would try a glass and trim shop.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm having the exact problem with my car as well. I eventually got the door to unlock by flicking the lock back and forwards several times. I'm taking my car to the mechanic next week. Will let you know how it goes. He thinks it may be the actuator
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM

same thing happend to mine... no way around it i had to cut out the door panel lucky for me i was putting in new ones....
Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Getting my new actuator monday. Going to have crack at it myself. Does anyone have any advice on how to get to it and replace it. I've had the door panel off a few times so no big issue there. Had a quick gander at it and looks like the location might be a bit of a pain to get to.

Any tips would be great. Will try and take photo's of my progress to help others. Seems like a common issue.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by savagejimmy
I'm having the exact problem with my car as well. I eventually got the door to unlock by flicking the lock back and forwards several times. I'm taking my car to the mechanic next week. Will let you know how it goes. He thinks it may be the actuator
Pasted from another thread.
Originally Posted by asand1
Today I decided to fix my door locks.
I had noticed the passenger door lock was not moving when I hit the unlock button on the drivers door. This in turn was triggering the BCM with a "door locked" signal, and thus locked all the doors again.
I pulled the door panel off, and the door latch assembly out. I greased all the plastic clips for the rod controls and adjusted the lock control rod bell crank up/out. I used white lithium grease on the rod clips, and motor oil on the bell crank pivot bushing. The locks work better than they ever had since buying my car three years ago.
The door latch assembly comes out after detaching the three rods and removing three phillips screws and one 10mm bolt.

Last edited by asand1; 08-24-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:09 AM

oh lord.....dude I hope you dont have the same problem I had. My locks did that and would randomly lock and unlock about 10 times in quick succession. My alarm would randomly go off because of this problem as well and it got to a point where I had to leave my car unlocked just so I wouldn't get to my car and the battery was dead or it got towed because it annoyed people. I couldn't figure out the electrical gremlin and I had to break down and take it to a shop. It was the worst problem I have ever had.

Getting the panel off is simple. Screws along the bottom and lots off plastic pop locks around the perimeter. Once you get the screws off and the plastic trim around the door handle and the other plastic handle piece off you just lift it up. Be careful because the wires will still be connected to the window switch and the light. Disconnect them and its off. 15min job first time/5mins there after

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 08-24-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
oh lord.....dude I hope you dont have the same problem I had. My locks did that and would randomly lock and unlock about 10 times in quick succession. My alarm would randomly go off because of this problem as well and it got to a point where I had to leave my car unlocked just so I would get to my car and the battery was dead or it got towed because it annoyed people. I could figure out the electrical gremlin and I had to break down and take it to a shop. It was the worst problem I have ever had
what did your problem end up being? i know i thought i had some serious gremlins, and it turned out to just be a problem with the motor in the driver door.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
what did your problem end up being? i know i thought i had some serious gremlins, and it turned out to just be a problem with the motor in the driver door.
I have no effin clue. Everything worked and was lubed up. It would just lock and unlock by itself. I didnt ask the shop what it ended up being I was just happy to get it fixed
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM

it seems to me like any problem involving the electronics in your drivers door, will cause all kinds of crazy gremlins involving all the doors.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 PM

oh lord.....dude I hope you dont have the same problem I had. My locks did that and would randomly lock and unlock about 10 times in quick succession.
Mine were like this. Everytime I unlocked the doors either with the key or the door button, they would all unlock and imediately lock again. Driving down the road they would continously cycle the lock relay. This is due to sticky linkage in the lock mechanism. The latch assembly has a "door locked" sensor that will cause all the locks to lock if it thinks you are manually locking the one door. If the linkage is sticky or out of adjustment, the door will not fully unlock and the BCM will "see" a locked door, and lock them all. Lubing the linkage and adjusting the bell crank should fix this problem. It is not an electrical issue. Electrically, everything is working as it should. Your problem is mechanical.

Last edited by asand1; 08-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:31 PM

I have no effin clue I didnt ask the shop what it ended up being
Really?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 PM

It is not always the linkage or actuator. 4th gen use an IVMS LAN. The master, BCM (body control module), is in the driver door. The other 3 doors has slaves, LCUs (local control unit). The master sends the slaves commands to lock, unlock, raise or lower windows etc. LCU then executes and checks to see if requested action is done.

It is too complex and you should follow the IVMS diagnostic section in the FSM to fix it.

One potential reason why the passenger door fails is that they are not used frequently. Then the aged plastic wire jacket thru the hinge area takes a set. When they are used once in a while, the harden jacket doesn't flex and just damages the wire strands inside. Then the actuator doesn't get enough current thru the wire and can't move the linkages. This is common in all older cars.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 PM

this dudes like a walking car encyclopedia.

p.s. you forgot to say flux capacitor
Old 08-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SVI30
It is not always the linkage or actuator. 4th gen use an IVMS LAN. The master, BCM (body control module), is in the driver door.
Bcm is in the center console ahead of the shifter. Master door switch is connected via bus. All I'm saying is try a little maintenance before dropping big bucks to replace a good part.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:15 PM

My bad, you are right. 5 LCUs, one in the trunk.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
this dudes like a walking car encyclopedia.

p.s. you forgot to say flux capacitor
This old dude grew up in the country where every boy fixed cars. Then worked in high tech making widgets. When GM won't sell me an injector tester I rolled my own.

Last edited by SVI30; 08-25-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SVI30
This old dude grew up in the country where every boy fixed cars. Then worked in high tech making widgets. When GM won't sell me an injector tester I rolled my own.
im not saying im not mechanically inclined and knowledgeable, im just saying your automotive vocabulary is impressive. that is all.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM

That's true too. In order to survive here in the Silicon Valley, one learns to talk the talk if not walk the walk.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Pasted from another thread.

The door latch assembly comes out after detaching the three rods and removing three phillips screws and one 10mm bolt.
Is it possible to remove the door panel when the door is locked?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

One time I tried to fix the door lock and it ended up breaking the entire door. I decided to let the experts complete the fixing so that there will be no more damage.

car locksmith Denver
Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by savagejimmy
DING DING DING!!! same problem all these cars have, c'mon now they're 15 to 19 years old and stuff just wears out. i play, " let's see which lock the key fob will unlock today" game everyday. ( and yes i saw this thread is 2 years old )

Last edited by max ride 41; 09-16-2014 at 05:51 AM.