4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No start issue, battery corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 PM

No start issue, battery corrosion?

One of the max's wont start. Its my relatives DD. They took it to the park down the street and it wouldn't start on the way back. Its a 98 auto.

I went down there and found a big mound of blue crap on the positive battery and even ater scrubbing it off the car wont start. At first the key fob wasn't working to open the doors and what not but after cleaning the blue crap off it the key fob started to work but no start.

Then i tried to jump it and no go.. So i ended up pushing it home.

At that point i grabbed baking soda and water and went to town on the positive terminal with a hard brush. After it was good to go i checked with a volt meter and i was getting almost 12 .. it was like 11.89v.

Not sure whats going on. Starter never showed any signs of going south! Can anyone clue me in .. i checked fuses and looked around and didn't find nothing out of place.

Usually when the starter starts to go it starts whining or something. Im getting no sound when turning the key to start the car. No click no nothing just crickets.

I do hear a barely audible sound coming from the engine bay when i put the key in the on position. But when i try to start i get nothing.

Last edited by 98MaximaDriver; 09-10-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Might be a bad ignition switch. Jiggle the key as you're trying to start it and see if that does the trick.

Starter could be locking up. Grab a long pole and smack it a few times. See if the car tries to crank.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 AM

Your need more voltage to crank than 11.98ish. Try charging the battery up with a trickle charger. If the battery's condition can be improved, have someone hit the ignition switch while you read the voltage drop across the battery. You might have an alternator that has checked out on you. Did your relative mention any dash light on just previously to it not starting.? Just so we are clear this is a no start condition vs. a no crank condition. Many times folks mistaken use the two terms interchangeably when they are not.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by M in KC
Your need more voltage to crank than 11.98ish. Try charging the battery up with a trickle charger. If the battery's condition can be improved, have someone hit the ignition switch while you read the voltage drop across the battery. You might have an alternator that has checked out on you. Did your relative mention any dash light on just previously to it not starting.? Just so we are clear this is a no start condition vs. a no crank condition. Many times folks mistaken use the two terms interchangeably when they are not.
With 12 volts, it should at least attempt to crank. Plus, even though 14V is ideal, it should crank over with just 12 volts.

Sounds like a no start issue to me because he says "Im getting no sound when turning the key to start the car. No click no nothing just crickets." and "Then i tried to jump it and no go.."
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Also, although you cleaned the battery ground, all the main grounds should be removed/sanded/cleaned too.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM

And look carefully at the battery cables, to make sure there's no corrosion going up inside the insulation.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:24 PM

Main Ground

What The Wizard said. Just went through this. Go after the main ground on the block. Do this first. Then move on to other stuff. I found out the hard way - with luck you won't have to. Jack it up, get under there and clean it up. 20 minute job.

By the way - my battery posts were nasty too. But that was not the problem.

Good luck!

Check it out- https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...w-battery.html

Last edited by Blassmasta; 09-11-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:22 PM

Guys forgive me absense.. Ive had a rough few days! I appreciate everyones input alot!

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Might be a bad ignition switch. Jiggle the key as you're trying to start it and see if that does the trick.

Starter could be locking up. Grab a long pole and smack it a few times. See if the car tries to crank.

That i didnt try! I did try my another key but no joy..

Originally Posted by The Wizard
With 12 volts, it should at least attempt to crank. Plus, even though 14V is ideal, it should crank over with just 12 volts.

Sounds like a no start issue to me because he says "Im getting no sound when turning the key to start the car. No click no nothing just crickets." and "Then i tried to jump it and no go.."

I havent tried smacking the starter or jiggling the key so i will try those and report back. I sanded the inside of the battery connector to make sure all the corrosion was off it.. I used the baking soda and water pretty good too. Ill have too look for the main grounds and see if can clean em up..

Originally Posted by DBear
And look carefully at the battery cables, to make sure there's no corrosion going up inside the insulation.

There was! I poured as much water and baking soda on it as i had.. but i could litterally see it inside the cabling. The amount of blue corrosion was unreal.. it was like the size of 2-3 golf ***** on top of the positive terminal! What in gods name makes this stuff grow?

I cleaned it off with a brush only to return a week later to find more stuff..

Name:  GLB5pC8.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  923.2 KB

Thats when i grabbed the baking soda!

Originally Posted by Blassmasta
What The Wizard said. Just went through this. Go after the main ground on the block. Do this first. Then move on to other stuff. I found out the hard way - with luck you won't have to. Jack it up, get under there and clean it up. 20 minute job.

By the way - my battery posts were nasty too. But that was not the problem.

Good luck!

Check it out- https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...w-battery.html

Ok ... ill make sure to check the grounds and report back.

Argh... tough week for the max's.. First this corrosion issue and then i just took out my front lip and scratched up my bumper on some driveway on my 5spd! I stopped drinking about 5 years ago but man do i feel like having a drink!

Name:  WoemZoL.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  936.0 KB
Name:  R49niRJ.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  854.5 KB
Old 09-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Yeouch, focus young Jedi, focus ...

If the neg. cable is all corroded up you might be just as well off to replace that one. AIRC its a straight shot to the block. The Pos. cable might be a little more involved I just don't remember.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by M in KC
Yeouch, focus young Jedi, focus ...

If the neg. cable is all corroded up you might be just as well off to replace that one. AIRC its a straight shot to the block. The Pos. cable might be a little more involved I just don't remember.
Neg cable is ok... its the positive. Its as if the neg cable is immune cause it was clean..

Custom front lip cracks free of charge here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9779...pCMbqvpzOg!2e0