4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

P0500 from speedometer. How to solve it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0500 from speedometer. How to solve it?

Hello,

I have P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor error from the engine. However code is generated because of faulty readings from instrument cluster. In winter, check engine light was dispappeared, probably it was conducting better.

Should a new instrument cluster solve this problem? Or this error is more likely to be from bad wires from cluster to the engine?

This is not really bad but sometimes cruise control is not working and for long journeys, it's a life saver.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:08 PM

As you stated, the P0500 code is for the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

But the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not in the instrument cluster. It is in the transmission. The VSS sends its signal to the instrument cluster and the cruise control module.

So you need a new VSS.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10634
Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think I should have given more information. You're right P0500 is VSS error however VSS is working fine. VSS is connected to instrument cluster then connected to the engine. So cluster gets right information, however not the engine. When I screw the connections, error is gone. After a bump, error comes back.

I'm not sure if the wires from cluster to the engine is faulty or the cluster itself. RPM indicator doesn't work either. I was thinking, maybe a new cluster will solve the issue.

What do you think?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 AM

I don't know what screws you are referring to, but if you are talking about the screws that hold the cluster printed circuit board onto the plastic housing, then I suppose you have a cracked printed circuit board.

It is a remote possibility that reseating the wire harness connectors to the cluster could help, but if you unplugged the cluster and took it out, then you have reseated the connections.

If the printed circuit board is cracked, it can be fixed, but it is not an easy thing to do. If you replace the printed circuit board, the odometer reading will be whatever the replacement printed circuit board has.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the answer. Yes I was referring to the screws that connects wires to printed board. I didn't check very closely, but my mechanic did it instead. Since the tachometer is not working as well (when the car is running, it bumps to location to location. goes to 0 when it stops) board may be cracked.

What would you suggest to solve this with a small budget? Would it better to just leave it?
Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 PM

If you go to a junk yard and get an instrument cluster from there, I'm guessing it will around $25. You could use that cluster, but the odometer reading will be different. You can swap your speedometer gauge with the odometer then. Swapping the meters is doable because if you wanted to buy a new printed circuit board from the dealer, you get just the printed circuit board and have to swap all the light bulbs, meters and whatever else.

A new printed circuit board from Nissan is part # 24814-40U00. Nissan calls it "Plate Assy-Printed Circuit" and it has a MSRP of approx $80.

The printed circuit board fits the 1995 through 1998 Maximas and 1996 through 1998 Infiniti i30.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks DennisMik, you've just given great information. I'm not really good with fixing cars and I do not have a toolbox available, unfortunately. I can't buy one since I'll be moving out soon.

Should I disassemble the gauge cluster if I buy it from a junk yard? On ebay, people are selling it for ~$80. It's quite expensive for my opinion, since I don't know if that's going to work.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 PM

You have me believing that you have removed your cluster in order to tighten the screws. If you have, then you can go to a pick & pull junkyard and get one. All you need is screwdrivers and a cutter to clip a zip tie or 2 that holds the wire harness in place, Fingernail clippers will cut a zip tie. Just tilt the steering wheel down.

If you can't remove the cluster, then I don't have any cheap alternatives for you.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any update on cold weather affecting your gauge cluster working?

I have a 2001 Infiniti I30T and in the past year I have had problems with cold weather affecting my gauge cluster working. Usually once the car warms up it turns back on but my odometer trips have been reset. I have heard some people talking about the speed sensor and I did just get the p500 code. Every time my gauge cluster turns back on while I'm driving it flashes the overdrive light about five times. Back to the speed sensor, I did replace that two summers ago and the following winter was when this problem started happening. Maybe I should throw some dielectric grease in the connector for the transmission speed sensor and see if that helps anything. This problem does not affect the way the car drives but it's quite annoying because I track my oil changes with one of my odometer trips. Also, I can't see my RPMs or speed or fuel level when my gauge cluster goes out. Thanks for any help or information provided.