4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Read air bag codes 99 maxima infiniti i30

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:12 PM

Read air bag codes 99 maxima infiniti i30

I have a 99 infiniti i30. The air bag lights are blicking and have tried multiple ways of resettign using the door **** switch but no luck.

I am looking for a tool to read the codes and reset the light. I have read that that the 4th maxima/infiniti uses the consult port to give airbag info.

There is a thread in the forum on using Autel AL619, but that connects only to OBD port.

Can someone tell me how to use one of the tools to read the codes and reset air bag light.

Shop wants $175 just to run diagnostic, they won't reset it until some form of repair was made. Other shops won't even read if its not on the OBD port

Please help

Regards
Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 PM

I saw a website that sells Nissan data scan 1 software. If I get a consult 1 adapter and the software, can I use the laptop to read code and reset them? Has anyone tried this method
Old 01-27-2016, 01:26 PM

Nevermind the previous post. The website was http://www.nissandatascan.com/ looks like the Datascan 1 cannot be used to read abs codes
Old 01-27-2016, 02:08 PM

Re: Resetting the light - I had success with the instructions on this page:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/air-bag-s...0-t285511.html

On our '98 the Air Bag light comes back on (resumes blinking) a couple of days after being reset in the manner proscribed above - most likely because there is in fact a fault in the Air Bag system.

I was able to follow the diagnostic procedure in the FSM (it also involved using the door switch, this time to put the air bag computer into diagnostic mode), counted the blinking lights/codes, and (again referring to the FSM) diagnosed "faulty driver's side air bag". While the FSM does make reference to using the "Consult" mode/the Nissan tool, I don't think that tool is strictly necessary to diagnose what's causing the Air Bag light to blink.

Also FYI: the Air Bag is a part of the "SRS" (Supplemental Restraint System) - not the "ABS" (Anti-lock Braking System). Reading your last post, I'm unsure what the Datascan1 does or does not do - as you were talking about air bags, and then you started talking about brakes.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by reallywildstuff

On our '98 the Air Bag light comes back on (resumes blinking) a couple of days after being reset in the manner proscribed above - most likely because there is in fact a fault in the Air Bag system.

I was able to follow the diagnostic procedure in the FSM (it also involved using the door switch, this time to put the air bag computer into diagnostic mode), counted the blinking lights/codes, and (again referring to the FSM) diagnosed "faulty driver's side air bag". While the FSM does make reference to using the "Consult" mode/the Nissan tool, I don't think that tool is strictly necessary to diagnose what's causing the Air Bag light to blink.

Also FYI: the Air Bag is a part of the "SRS" (Supplemental Restraint System) - not the "ABS" (Anti-lock Braking System). Reading your last post, I'm unsure what the Datascan1 does or does not do - as you were talking about air bags, and then you started talking about brakes.
My bad, I was talking about SRS, got confused between them. Thanks, I will give it a try

By the way, what did you do about the faulty driver side air bag. Can you just buy one of ebay and install it? Please let me know purely on FYI basis
Old 01-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Can you let me know which pdf, which page of the FSM is the diagnostic procedure
Old 01-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by muthiahmerchant
I have a 99 infiniti i30. The air bag lights are blicking and have tried multiple ways of resettign using the door **** switch but no luck.

I am looking for a tool to read the codes and reset the light. I have read that that the 4th maxima/infiniti uses the consult port to give airbag info.

There is a thread in the forum on using Autel AL619, but that connects only to OBD port.

Can someone tell me how to use one of the tools to read the codes and reset air bag light.

Shop wants $175 just to run diagnostic, they won't reset it until some form of repair was made. Other shops won't even read if its not on the OBD port

Please help

Regards
You won't be able to reset the light until the problem is solved. All the Autel will do for you is tell you which airbag is triggering the light. The Autel will connect to the Consult port if you buy the right cable. I spelled everything out in this thread.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...recommend.html
Old 01-27-2016, 06:56 PM

It is section "RS" in the FSM. I see that RS for 1999 begins on page 1225.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
You won't be able to reset the light until the problem is solved. All the Autel will do for you is tell you which airbag is triggering the light. The Autel will connect to the Consult port if you buy the right cable. I spelled everything out in this thread.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...recommend.html
I did look at your post and sent a PM with a few questions.

the male to male cable is to connect the autel to the consult adapter is that correct?

and this is the male to male cable - Original Autel MD802 JP701 Obdi 15pin com Port Adapter Male to Male Plug Cable | eBay

Regards
Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you want to fix the most likely cause? There's a common issue where rust/corrosion affects the signal for the side airbags. When it happened on my 98 I30 and my friends 99I30, even though only one airbag was complaining, I just cleaned them both. You need to clean the connectors. Each side airbag has 2 connectors. I will describe the driver's seat. Duplicate the procedure for the passenger seat. This is coming from memory so details may be a bit sketchy.
1. move the seat backward such that you can see under the seat from the front. You should see a yellow harness cable and a connector. That's connection 1. DO NOT DISCONNECT IT YET.
2. Sit in the back seat. Tilt the front seat forward so you can remove the seatback and see the yellow cable run up the side of the seat and into the side airbag. That's connection 2. DO NOT DISCONNECT IT YET.
3. Now that you know where both connectors are move the seat such that you can access both sections when there's no power.
4. Disconnect the battery.
5. Wait 15 minutes.
6. Now, unplug and clean those connectors with something like WD-40, a screwdriver to scrape the terminals and make them shiny etc. Re-plugin the connectors.
7. Do the same for the passenger seat.
8. Once you're done and everything is put back together. Plug in the battery.
9. NOW you can go through the routine of resetting the airbag light as mentioned in the posts above.
10.Enjoy your non blinking airbag light
Old 02-07-2016, 04:08 AM

how is the seat back removed? excuse a stupid question.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:39 PM

I also would like to know how to remove the back panel of the Infiniti's front leather seats re: cleaning these connections.

I see the connector underneath the front of the seat, no problem. I see there are four bolts/screws/clips on the back panel. It's not obvious how to remove them. The FSM page BT-28 shows the panel removed but doesn't show a procedure or the clip type.

I see this:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-re...y-t584009.html

It references a "forked upholstery tool" being required so as to not break the cardboard - what do you think that looks like?

Any other tips re: removing the leather rear panels?

Thanks

Last edited by reallywildstuff; 02-22-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Administrator

The tool will look something like this.

You can get cheap plastic look a likes at Harbor Freight for $5 or so
Old 02-22-2016, 08:24 PM

The third tool from the left is for white plastic GM interior clips - I have one of those and tried to use it - I don't think it's the right choice. Maybe another one of those three?

And, with that new tool - HOW does one ACTUALLY do it (without breaking the backing board)?
Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 PM

......Maybe another one of those three?.......
When I did it, I didn't use any fancy tools, just a flathead screwdriver and followed the guidelines from the FSM. I guess I got lucky 3 out of 4 times. On the 4th seat, I somehow damaged the clips such I had to buy some velcro and remake my own seatback fastener. It wasn't as strong as it was originally, but it did the job OK enough

Last edited by dwapenyi; 02-24-2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 AM

I brought my 1998 I30 Service Manual to the office today so I could try to suss this out with help from the interwebs.

As mentioned, R&R Seats is described in the Body & Trim (BT) section. There is an exploded diagram of the "Front Seat" on page BT-28.

R&R Side Air Bags is described in the Restraint System (RS) section. There are two diagrams, SRS381 and SRS383, that show the front seat with the "seatback finisher" removed. There is reference to a "clip removal tool" - that tool is not described in RS Special Service Tools, however.

I get that it's a generic upholstery tool. I'd like to see a picture of the clip (apart) and know that I'm using the correct tool before I haul off into it - the backing "cardboard" (it's more like particle board, although that's still not precise) looks to be made out of "unobtanium" (so don't break it).

Thank you -

Brian in Houston
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM

Performance Tool - Trim Removal Tool W80648

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...nterior+tools#

In the first picture of the five red tools out of the package and laid side by side - the correct tool is the middle one. Slip the near side of that tool (90deg pry bar with a slot in the middle) behind the clip and it comes out like magic.

Now that I've both the correct tool and procedure I will be cleaning the SRS side air bag connectors very soon.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...e/infinity.pdf
Old 03-22-2016, 08:14 PM

I removed both seat backs and cleaned three side air bag connections total. I reset the SRS light and it has remained off. We shall see what transpires.

The SRS computer was reporting on the Driver side airbag - these two connectors did not appear to have very much corrosion on them, maybe just a little more on the driver rear than others.

I cleaned the front Passenger connector too - but the PS rear didn't have a connector to separate/clean. If there was a connector on the rear passenger side it's folded up inside and underneath the air bag cover = I didn't poke around for it.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 AM

To the OP (muthiahmerchant) :

Its been two weeks since I cleaned my side air bag connectors (per dwapenyi instructions below) and my AIR BAG light has remained UN-illuminated. That mf red dashboard light has been blinking in this car for Y-E-A-R-S - and the real solution (for my '98, anyways) was on the Intertubes the whole time.

Turning the light off is one step closer to keeping this car on the road. Thank you, dwapenyi. The TSB that dwapenyi references is here:

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...e/infinity.pdf

I also posted here:

https://maxima.org/forums/infiniti-i...-finisher.html

Good hunting!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 AM

To the OP (muthiahmerchant) :

Its been two weeks since I cleaned my side air bag........
Nice