4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My horn started to honk while driving...help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Administrator

My horn started to honk while driving...help please

So my girlfriend's car needs repair so I loan her my 1998 daily driver Maxima.

She is on her way to work and gets on the freeway and the horn starts to honk and won't shut off. She freaks out, turns around and goes back home to disconnect the battery.

After waiting 5 minutes, she re-connected the battery and the horn is still honking. She disconnected the battery again.

Where do I start? I have some ideas but wanted to hear what you guys think too. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 AM

Mine did this a number of years ago sitting in a parking lot ... attempted to unlock the car with the fob and horn went off and continued until I disconnected the horn e-connectors.

It turned out to be another one of those odd and unexpected interactions between the alarm system and a failure in the charging system.

A failed/failing battery turned out to the culprit in my case, the replacement of which addressed the issue.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Thanks Turbo.
I've seen weird things happen when you have a weak battery and the car is off, but never when the car is running! Not that it's relevant, but a new battery was installed a few weeks ago.

My OEM alarm has been disabled as I have a Viper alarm system.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 PM

The only other thing I can think of might be the clock-spring.

Or a malfunction associated with the aftermarket alarm

Are any dash lights illuminated?
Old 12-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Rit

Or...by any chance is she well endowed, and may have the seat too far forward ? Ask her to try reclining the seat back a little.

LOL
Old 12-20-2016, 03:18 PM

Every once in a while, the 99 SE will have a false alarm episode. We don't use the key fob because the keyring part of the fob is broken. I should get a new one.

To get it to shut off, we unlock and relock using the driver door key.

If this is a continual horn honk, without looking, there is a horn relay and fuse under the hood. I would look to disconnect relay and try another relay from another Nissan to see what happens. Then disconnect the fuse until you figure out the issue. I once had to replace a horn relay on the Q. It was a common Nissan relay to replace it.

No SRS lights or cruise control problems that would point to a bad clock spring?
Old 12-21-2016, 04:31 AM

Wiz,

Do all of the features controlled by your multi-function (aka stalk) switches work?

If not, this would also indicate a failed clock spring.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Got Retrofit?

Clock spring failure?

Pull the horn fuse till it's sorted out.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:51 PM

I haven't fixed mine yet, but my problem is definitely in the steering wheel. It started honking almost non-stop on the way home from work one day. I found that if I applied slight pressure on the center of the steering wheel, the honking would stop. If I let go it would honk. If I pressed hard it would honk. But somewhere in between was just right. This was quite tricky to do in a stickshift in Dallas rush hour traffic, so I still honked quite a bit before I made it home. Of course as soon as I pulled into the parking garage it stopped on its own.

I pulled the fuse and both relays to postpone the repair, but I have yet to take the time to remove the airbag to investigate.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Turbobink
The only other thing I can think of might be the clock-spring.

Or a malfunction associated with the aftermarket alarm

Are any dash lights illuminated?
No dash lights are on.

Originally Posted by Rit
Or...by any chance is she well endowed, and may have the seat too far forward ? Ask her to try reclining the seat back a little.

LOL
Wiseguy.

Originally Posted by CS_AR

No SRS lights or cruise control problems that would point to a bad clock spring?
No SRS lights or cruise issues. Car runs great otherwise.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Wiz,

Do all of the features controlled by your multi-function (aka stalk) switches work?

If not, this would also indicate a failed clock spring.
So the horn is on the same circuit as the turn signals and fog lights? Is this what you're suggesting? Thanks.

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Clock spring failure?

Pull the horn fuse till it's sorted out.
Could be. For the time being, we found that by pulling the relay labeled "Horn 1" stopped the continous honking.

My hunch was either a bad relay or some animal slept in the engine bay the night before and chewed on some wires.

I'll start by swapping relays from another Maxima of mine.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by komik
I haven't fixed mine yet, but my problem is definitely in the steering wheel. It started honking almost non-stop on the way home from work one day. I found that if I applied slight pressure on the center of the steering wheel, the honking would stop. If I let go it would honk. If I pressed hard it would honk. But somewhere in between was just right. This was quite tricky to do in a stickshift in Dallas rush hour traffic, so I still honked quite a bit before I made it home. Of course as soon as I pulled into the parking garage it stopped on its own.

I pulled the fuse and both relays to postpone the repair, but I have yet to take the time to remove the airbag to investigate.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing your story. When I searched the org, this type of problem is non-existent.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:45 PM

id check the 2 torx bolts on each side of the steering wheel make sure there tight.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Black Lion

Stuck relay or could be the clock spring. This happened to me years ago, the horn would go off sporadically or not at all. Replacing the clock spring solved the problem.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 PM

This is an odd issue.. lol, maybe tell your girlfriend to stop using the horn so much and stop doing road rage often? :P in all seriousness probably either relay or spring.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
My hunch was either a bad relay or some animal slept in the engine bay the night before and chewed on some wires.
I know that varmints do love the taste of Nissan VH45DE knock sensor wiring harness.

Would you call this hanging by a thread?

Name:  KS_Pic_01_Before_zpsc5b77cf5.jpg
Views: 2410
Size:  206.6 KB
Old 12-22-2016, 07:05 AM

So the horn is on the same circuit as the turn signals and fog lights? Is this what you're suggesting?
This I am not certain of ... in the Maxima.

But my experience with clock spring failures in other vehicles have also included malfunctions in systems related to the horn, air bag, cruise control and other functions controlled via the multifunction switches.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:45 PM

So the horn is on the same circuit as the turn signals and fog lights?
No.

The horn shares fuse # 64 (under the hood) with the cruise control and the Nissan security system.

Turn signals are fuse # 14 (in the dash) and is not shared with anything else.

The fog lights are powered by fuse # 63 (under the hood) and is not shared with anything else.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 PM

Did you ever manage to fix the issue, because mine does quite the same thing.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:35 PM

Thanks Turbo.
I've seen weird things happen when you have a weak battery and the car is off, but never when the car is running! Not that it's relevant, but a new battery was installed a few weeks ago.

My OEM alarm has been disabled as I have a Viper alarm system.
How were you able to resolve your issue, was it simply a battery issue?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:46 PM

Also a possibility: the metal frame on the center piece of the steering wheel is constantly touching? Assuming you press the middle and don't have separate buttons.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by RealityCheck
Also a possibility: the metal frame on the center piece of the steering wheel is constantly touching? Assuming you press the middle and don't have separate buttons.
Have you run into this problem before? And are you referring to the center spindle that has a nut onto it or is it the back of the steering wheel airbag?
Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 PM

Just maybe, the positive side is always engaged and the button/switch in the steering wheel connects the negative when you push. That means the wire can short out anywhere along the path between the steering wheel and horn.

Just a hunch.

Disconnect the negative lead at the horn and connect your continuity tester in the plug/connector and the other side to a major ground. That will confirm or negate the possibility of a short if the negative side completes the circuit..

Or disconnect the connector from the negative and run a jumper wire from the negative lug on the horn to the engine ground and see if that is how the circuit power completes.

Otherwise, first place to dissect is in your steering wheel applying the probability logic ladder.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by jdreid13
Did you ever manage to fix the issue, because mine does quite the same thing.
Not yet. Haven't tried. Weekends have been cold / rainy / other lazy excuse. Tomorrow is looking like a good day though.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM

Today I pulled the airbag and these plastic nubs tumbled out of the steering wheel.

Name:  SDBZlIj.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  159.4 KB

They are part of larger pieces that attach to the ends of the vertical bars to isolate them from the studs. Circled in green you can see where there is still some plastic behind the head of the studs. Circled in red there is not.

Name:  aHeWZja.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  301.1 KB

Normally, pressing on the center of the steering wheel moves these vertical bars inward until two round (copper?) contact points meet, completing the circuit, and activating the horn. There are springs on the back side of the bars that push them out, resting against the plastic spacer. However, with the plastic gone the bars move too far outward, contact the heads of the studs, and complete the circuit that way.

Name:  lhvQCai.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  168.2 KB
Name:  lI5pMnm.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  195.1 KB

As a temporary fix I stuck o-rings over the two top studs to replace the plastic spacer. A short road test has my horn operating normally again. There is still a possibility for unwanted honking if the bars were to move far enough laterally to contact the studs on the inside of the holes they pass through, but I will hope for now that doesn't happen.

Last edited by komik; 07-16-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Updated image links
Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 PM

This is a VERY useful post!!! Something tells me this is going to be happening more on our 4th Gens more often. Plastic is most likely at the end of its life span.

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:34 PM

I couldn't find any loctite around the house yesterday, so I picked up some today to resecure the airbag bolts. I also used RTV (black because that's what I had open already) to reattach the plastic pieces. It should help them stay put but allow easy removal later if need be.

Here you can more clearly see the o-ring I installed:

Name:  rUIoJjX.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  204.0 KB

Last edited by komik; 07-16-2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: updated image link
Old 01-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Hey Komik. Thanks for the great information! This is a keeper thread for sure.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:25 AM

just curious if it wouldn't have been easier to just get replacement grommets? i mean, i'm sure they probably still make them, if not then i guess this would be your other choice.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
just curious if it wouldn't have been easier to just get replacement grommets? i mean, i'm sure they probably still make them, if not then i guess this would be your other choice.
I can't find that part individually and only vaguely see it drawn as part of the steering wheel.

Courtesy shows every steering wheel part discontinued except for the retaining nut.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-pa...-and-trim-scat

Nissan Parts Deal also has the nut plus a bolt, the air bag, or a whole steering wheel for $760. All other parts are discontinued.
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...ing-wheel.html
Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 PM

I can't find that part individually and only vaguely see it drawn as part of the steering wheel.

Courtesy shows every steering wheel part discontinued except for the retaining nut.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-pa...-and-trim-scat

Nissan Parts Deal also has the nut plus a bolt, the air bag, or a whole steering wheel for $760. All other parts are discontinued.
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...ing-wheel.html
what a shock, one of the most key parts of the steering wheel and they no longer make it. one of the easiest parts to replace/make and cheapest, i guess nissan couldn't make a profit on these so they stopped making them.

Last edited by max ride 41; 01-23-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:08 PM

At the junkyard today I came across a '96 that looked like a new arrival. The interior had bunch of clothes and junk scattered about but appeared to be pretty complete and untouched. Odometer showed a mere 166k. I pulled the airbag and was excited to see four white plastic pieces still together. I got the left side out no problem. As soon as I began to turn the bolt on the right side, the plastic broke. I then picked up the left side to walk away, but the plastic crumbled in my hand. I do have two spare airbag bolts now though.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I couldn't find any loctite around the house yesterday, so I picked up some today to resecure the airbag bolts. I also used RTV (black because that's what I had open already) to reattach the plastic pieces. It should help them stay put but allow easy removal later if need be.

Here you can more clearly see the o-ring I installed:

dude you’re actually the best ive been having this issue with my 5th gen for a while now and you solved my problem! Thank you!