5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima 2002 SE in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima 2002 SE in trouble

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 4-speed auto. I'm not able to accelerate properly anymore. The car will struggle to go over 2000 rpm and will sound as if I have an aftermarket exhaust. I have an all stock setup. There's an apparent rattle while driving. Thinking a tensioner or guide broke I had replaced my timing chain, as well as all the guides and the main tensioner. When opening up the motor I noticed a small amount of slack on the chain but decided to replace it anyways. The motor was very clean, I change my oil every 3000 miles and use 93 octane only. Before doing my timing I had small traces of metal within the oil. However it soon disappeared after 3 oil changes and after driving the car easy. I want to note that temperatures were stable before and after doing my timing. However even after doing the timing I still have the same problem. I did notice the car is significantly quieter while idling. Also even after changing the oil, within minutes my oil light will begin to flash. I get an SES code of P0021 ("A" Camshaft Position- Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)) & a pointless P0138 (O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)). I had these codes before these problem started happening and they still show up. I changed the Camshaft position sensor in bank 1 and nothing changed, I still get the same SES code. Nissan told me that my oil pressure is low while driving and even worse when idling. I am asking the community for help on this since I'm short on cash since the timing didn't solve anything. Could it be the lifters failing or is the oil pressure falling because my oil pump is failing or there's a leak somewhere?

Let me know Nissan/Infiniti owners!

Some videos:
Sometimes the car starts just fine:
Other times the car will have a loud whining noise:
Here are videos of me attempting to go over 2000 rpm (notice the mph not going over 40):
Old 05-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Bad *** Newb

That looks and sounds like what happened when my precats disintegrated and clogged the main cat. The engine is choked. But, don't worry, the cylinder walls/rings are already ruined if that's the case.

IVT solenoid is also dirty causing the code.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Because you have the P0011 code (bank 1) or the P0021 code (bank 2), the ECU operates the engine in fail-safe mode. In the forums, we refer to this as "limp mode". The engine timing is retarded and will not rev past 2500 rpm.

You were told by Nissan that you have low oil pressure. The IVT solenoids work on oil pressure. So low oil pressure = faulty IVT solenoid operation = P0011 or P0021.

Fix the oil pressure problem.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Because you have the P0011 code (bank 1) or the P0021 code (bank 2), the ECU operates the engine in fail-safe mode. In the forums, we refer to this as "limp mode". The engine timing is retarded and will not rev past 2500 rpm.

You were told by Nissan that you have low oil pressure. The IVT solenoids work on oil pressure. So low oil pressure = faulty IVT solenoid operation = P0011 or P0021.

Fix the oil pressure problem.
It clearly revs over 2-3k. Limp mode is fuel cut at 2,500 rpm. Safe mode just reduces ignition timing. The car will run normal, but lack performance (you can easily break 100 mph). I guess you can call the modes whatever you want, but those are the symptoms.

This sounds and looks like the engine is completely starved of exhaust flow.
He would be throwing codes for both IVTs if oil pressure were the problem.

The oil pump could be bad or the pressure switch is sludged/bad.

The issues are unrelated, though.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 05-23-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
It clearly revs over 2-3k. Limp mode is fuel cut at 2,500 rpm. Safe mode just reduces ignition timing. The car will run normal, but lack performance (you can easily break 100 mph). I guess you can call the modes whatever you want, but those are the symptoms.

This sounds and looks like the engine is completely starved of exhaust flow.
He would be throwing codes for both IVTs if oil pressure were the problem.

The oil pump could be bad or the pressure switch is sludged/bad.

The issues are unrelated, though.
So this told me that I had to go read up on safe mode. I discovered several things.

Documentation is not that thorough, vague and incomplete.

I could not find any reference to limp mode, so I still have to believe that it is not an official Nissan term, named by the driving public because of the reduced performance.

Nissan has what it calls a fail safe mode. This is what I was referring to when I said safe mode.

What I discovered is that fail-safe mode does not do the same thing every time. It depends on what the problem is. A MAF problem will limit rpm to 2400. A throttle problem can limit the rpm to 1000. An ECU problem can limit the engine to 3000 rpm.

Another situation will limit how fast the throttle opens and the result will be poor acceleration.

There are some other things also, but again, what the fail-safe mode does is dependent on the problem.

All the service manual says for P0011 and P0021 is that the engine goes into fail-safe mode, with no specifics given.

As for just one IVT solenoid reacting to low oil pressure while the other one doesn't, I say it is possible. If the oil pressure is borderline, one may react while the other doesn't. And maybe there is more sludge buildup in one IVT solenoid than the other, making it more susceptible to low oil pressure.

Name:  02max%20Fail%20safe%20mode_zpsaknwgoyi.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  190.7 KB
Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 PM

Is it possible to clean an IVT solenoid? What would you use to do so if possible?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Unclejunebug
Is it possible to clean an IVT solenoid? What would you use to do so if possible?
Take it apart and use carb cleaner.

The IVT code will not throw it into safe mode, afaik. I have never had that happen.

A malfunctioning TB would cause similar problems with acceleration, possibly, but that sound, unless a product of the mic, is pretty identifiable. It's struggling.

I would pull off the main cat and see if you find a nice present of catalyst particles.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 PM

P0011 & p0021 & p0138

P0011 & P0021: Based on Nissan TSB you need to replace both camshaft position sensor (one near the radiator and one near the firewall) and crankshaft position sensor. Replace it with OEM Genuine Nissan parts.

P0138: temporary fix: replace the secondary O2 sensor (with white wire)
permanet fix: gut both precat (one near the radiator and one near the firewall) Install 02 nonfouler to the two secondary sensor (one with white wire and one with red wire)

Causes: clogged precat or deteriorating precat:

I recommend castrol GTX 5w/30, the proper way to check the engine oil of VQ35DE engine is : warm the engine for 20-30 minutes, turn off the engine and wait for 10-15 minutes. Pull out the dipstick and check the level.

Clean the MAF
You need to reset the ecu by using the consult II on Nissan Stealership or do it yourself by performing the throttle relearn procedure.
Good Luck.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So a little update here, thank you all for your responses! It means a lot! I wanted to test this precat situation so I put the car into neutral and began to rev the motor. It was easily going to 4k without any issue, meaning the exhaust isn't plugged or I assume it isnt. I also read in the service manual you can use 10W-40 instead of 30 for the vq35de. I decided to use a thicker oil and see if the oil pressure will be fine. So far there hasn't been any oil light showing up but there still is a lack of power.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by andrijpok
So a little update here, thank you all for your responses! It means a lot! I wanted to test this precat situation so I put the car into neutral and began to rev the motor. It was easily going to 4k without any issue, meaning the exhaust isn't plugged or I assume it isnt. I also read in the service manual you can use 10W-40 instead of 30 for the vq35de. I decided to use a thicker oil and see if the oil pressure will be fine. So far there hasn't been any oil light showing up but there still is a lack of power.
Yep, you tested my reasoning. I would not drive the car, though. There could already be massive damage. It doesn't burn a lot of oil?
40 weight is always better for VQs.

If anyone is suspecting maf or something, I think it would be impossible to be this fuel starved. It will go into limp mode when it gets lean enough (I've tested it with an AFC).
Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for the late response!

I didnt want to abandon this thread and not post anything but after carefully looking at everything the main cat was clogged up and practically destroyed. Half a bucket of junk came out of it when we took it out. Thanks for your answers, you guys seemed to be right. The cylinder walls are fine however my oil pressure is still lower than it should be (10 on idle instead of 14). The oil pump seems to be fine since starting the car the pressure is 17 and gradually it drops to 10. Most people I have worked with are thinking the bearings need replacing. Probably wont be doing that . Thank you all again! This is a great community, hope to contribute back in the near future!