6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Front End Cranking Noise please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Front End Cranking Noise please help

ok i will try to explain this as best as i can....

ive been having this noise. i own a 2004 maxima SE automatic...
i have owned this car for 6 months and it has 34k miles on it...

the noise is like a cranking noise. it only happens when i go straight. not when i turn. everyone asks that. the noise doesnt happen when i turn..

ok...ill get in the car in the morning...start it and go...as i press the gas i hear a cranking noise when i am getting out of the firs and 2nd gear...if i let go of the gas pedal the noise stops. if i press the gas hard and go a little quicker the noise is a bit more loud. ill let go of the gas the noise stops. if i drive the car for about 20 mins lets say the noise completely goes away. if i stop and put it in park, then back to drive the noise is still gone. the car has to sit for a while...ill get back in and go somewhere and there is that cranking noise again. its like really quick and low. again i control this noise with my foot on the gas pedal. it has been doing this for the past 4 months. my cous told me not to worry about it and it has been agrivating the crap out of me so i took it to get looked at. i take it to sears auto and the guy looked at it and tells me the axle boot is ripped. blah blah so they charge me too much and they couldnt get the part for a few days...i called my boy i used to work with at pepboys and he got me the aftermarket axle and put it on my car. ok so its a 2004 maxima why the hell did i need a new axle ?? the guy at sears said there was grease everywhere and stuff. my boy put the new axle on my car. guess what that sound was still there. it is the same sound i have been hearing. and it is when i am only going straight and pressing the gas....so today i took it to pepboys where i used to work there are 2 guys there that are smart as hell. know everything. i let my boy jay look at it. he told me that i did need new rotors and pads soon but he even couldnt pin point where the sound was coming from...
i dont know what to do..i refuse to go to the dealer because 1. i hate the dealer. and 2 i feel that they will just screw my car up more...

i have stock everything. i have a system in my car with a capacitor...a k&n air filter and i just got the coolant fluid changed.

everything wheels and braking is all stock...

i dont understand what or where this sound is coming from. it is def coming from the underneath front of the car. u can hear it clearly with the music on mute. it cranks and goes away

please help
Old 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

i thought it was the axle clicking but i was wrong and everyone that looked at it thought it wa the axle but it is not....what could this noise be ? has anyone every had this problem....it gets really annoying in the morning hearing it. just thinking what the hell is that!!!!!!!!! anything i would greatly appriciate

ive been posting in the suspension forum because i didnt have enough posts to start a thread. so i have been dying for days to start a thread.

any help would be greatly appriciate it. i love my max i been thinking bout either putting money into it or trading it in. i mean its an 04 with 34k miles on it. its a beautiful car !!

hope some of u guys can help
Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Funny thing is today my car was doing fine, then i parked it for a min or two then got back in and turned it on.... I immediatley notced a cranking while i was in first gear. It happens in first gear when i turn the wheel i know u said it dont do it when u turn but when i turn i feel a shrp bump when i turn the wheel left to right. I definitely feel it in the steering wheel and by my feet.... Im gonna test it out tomorrow see if the noise is still there, and if it persist im taking it to the shop.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 AM

if it is not the cv joint then what could it be ? what else could be making a cranking noise with the stuff i described ???
Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 AM

discribe cranking?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 AM

When you say cranking do you mean a rattling sound? It seems like a problem that could be similar to what I have. There are two TSBs related to "rattling under acceleration" posted in this thread here.

Take a look and see if any of the info helps your problem.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Kind of hard to explain a cranking sound. I know I had/have 4 sounds that ever came from my Max. There was a rattle on the passenger side that the 'idiots' fixed. That was a loose exhaust part. Then there was the 'electronic' engine mount that had to be replaced. That was more like a pumping sound. Then we have the I just started my car sound which is kind of like a rubbing when put into gear, which goes away immediately, and lastly, we have the suspension sound on the front driver side which the dealership after 3 sets of struts, a set of springs and various other part replacements has been unable to fix. I ask myself what's more expensive, the parts and labor or my time and sanity. Long live service manuals and ALLData ... screw service departments. Well most of em anyway.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:40 PM

the sound is like.....clank clank clank clank clank....say it fast....it sounds like it cranks fast....its SO WEIRD and i am sick of this sound...thank you maximus i will look into that whole thing with the TSBS i have not lifted the car up myself and looked at my exhaust and what not

its been pissing me off so much it does it every day. and ONLY when i press the gas...its like a cranking clicking.....it sounds like it cranks and then just stops when i let go of the gas. it will do it when i am getting out of gear too most of the time. when i press the gas...it is kind of like it cranks it self out of gear to get to the next gear...and when i drive my car for a while the sound will go away. the sound only happens when the car has been sitting for a while....i hope i explained it ok. thats the best i can explain it...

we thought it was the axle...turns out it is not he axle and now i will look into this tsbs
Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Was it out of the full warranty 4 months ago?
You are under waranty until 60K if its the powertrain.

So, only when you drive straight!
Not when idling or revving in park?
Not even if in drive (or reverse), brakes on and some gas?

Do you think it has the same rhythm as the engine or the tire rotation?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM

the warranty was over october of last year supposedly...

are you sure i am under warranty untill 60k if its the powertrain ? that i will call the dealer and find out that would be cool...

yes it is only when i drive straight !!!
i have heard it ONE time when idling....lsat week i was cleaning the car....i actually took the air filter out to clean it(k&N) put it back in the car and i was about to go get food i started the car... and after a min there is that freaking noise !! that is the only time i heard it when it was in park...it like cranked for 5 secs and stopped...

i have never heard the noise when i brake or go in reverse....

it is only when i am pressing the gas and going straight...
and what do u mean by the same rhythm as the engine or tire rotation ??

thanks for your response ! i am trying to understand better as each person replies to my problem !
Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM

in the past month i have had the following done to my car...

i got NEW tires from goodyear for free....the retarts didnt balance them right

took to sears...rebalanced my tires.

and i got the coolant system flush...

i change the oil regularly bout every 3,000 miles
Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

By rhythm I mean fast noise like the engine speed, or a slower rhythm that would be closer to the speed of the tire rotating. You seem to say that is fast like the engine.

If you got the noise while parked, then I would eliminate tranny (maybe not), diff, axles, bearings, wheels, motor mounts, etc from powertrain.

Is the power steering fluid level ok? Are the belts in good shape? No splits or pieces whipping around?

The members talked about a TSB where noise came from the fuel rail dampers. Not sure if that would vary with engine speed?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:03 PM

hmmm i see...well the powersteering fluid is ok...the belts seem to be fine. i still have not found the sound !

where are the fuel rail dampers ??
Old 07-20-2007, 07:19 PM

HEY GUYS !! I FOUND WHERE THE SOUND IS COMING FROM !!!

i jacked the car up today and i was messing around with the air box and what not....remember how i said when i left it in park the noise comes for like a few secs....

i jacked the car up and the noise came from where the pullys are with the 2 belts next to the oil filter...

you guys know what piece of plastic that covers that stuff...well i took that off and had the car jacked up...i turned on the car and layed down underneath the car and waited the noise started to crank for a few secs and went away...i put my ear up to that section that i described and it DEF came from where the belts are with the pullys....but i couldnt find anything out of place or anything wrong

what could it be ????
Old 07-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Maybe motor mounts
Old 07-22-2007, 04:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am not sure you have the same problem that I had it before.

My car was making rattle noise when I accelerate and start driving my car.
I was hearing that rattle noise for 1 to 2 second during my gear shifts from 1 to 2

I took it back to mechanic who was repairing my brakes and he showed me the heat shield was loosen.

He clamped my heat shiel and I am back to normal.