7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Steering Wheel Lock Bite!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:42 PM

2010 Steering Wheel Lock Bite!

Well, I've owned my 2010 Maxima SV for just over a year. (bought in June 14 with 30k). I've now just experienced my second steering wheel lock issue since purchasing. I've been online to youtube, and researched plenty on the issue after the first time it happened. A few of you regulars on this site told me to go in the fuse box under the hood and pull the fuse to disable that and when I went to pull the fuse it was already gone. Someone else must've pulled it already. I'm at the end of the line with this car. Do you guys have any suggestions. I guess Nissan charges anywhere from $800-$1100 at dealerships to repair this problem, but does it really repair the problem and stop it from happening? I've been stranded twice now, both times after dark in empty parking lots leaving the office. Please send any and all suggestions. Thanks! -frustratedashell!
Old 07-29-2015, 05:45 PM

The notice I got from Nissan states

Nissan has extended your vehicle's New Vehicle Limited warranty as it applies to the electronic Steering Column Lock unit to 6 years/unlimited mileage. All other warranty terms, limitations and conditions remain unchanged.

Nissan North America WBI/13-009

It looks like you are covered by warranty.

My question is how this became disabled with the fuse being pulled/
Old 07-30-2015, 06:21 AM

Ok well I will try and give them a call. Do you know if I just call the basic 800 Nissan phone number or is there a different one? Honestly that's what I thought as well...if the fuse is pulled how the heck did this even happen! Idk I love the car in every other way, but making payments on a vehicle that could at any time leave you locked out of it is complete BS! Thank you for the reply!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:38 AM

I would just call the local Nissan dealership to start then call Nissan's customer care department at 1-800-647-7261 if they give you any grief. I pulled my fuse over a year ago and haven't had any problem since.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 PM

How can it lock if the fuse is pulled? I pulled the fuse on my '09 and the wheel no longer locks. You may want to recheck the fuse block and verify you are looking at the right fuse.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think that's a good suggestion. Mine was pulled & I haven't had any issues.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:16 PM

I had my appointment at the Nissan dealer today and found out that my car doesn't even have the steering wheel lock part that was bad on the 09's. The mechanic has worked with Nissan for over 30 years and thought for sure that was the problem, however when he took the dash apart to replace the part he noticed mine didn't even have that part. Apparently nissan maxima's built after 09/30/09 did not have that faulty part. Mine was built 12/30/09. So now they are keeping it over night to see if theres a parasitic charge problem thats draining the battery. I don't know what else to do. Seriously just baffles me and even the mechanic is not real positive he can figure it out. I don't understand how I could open the trunk, rear passanger door, and then when I go to start the car the steering wheel is down in the drive position and theres no power to the car except the security light blinking on and off repeatedly. I'm considering trading it in and starting over. This is ridiculous.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone3944
I had my appointment at the Nissan dealer today and found out that my car doesn't even have the steering wheel lock part that was bad on the 09's. The mechanic has worked with Nissan for over 30 years and thought for sure that was the problem, however when he took the dash apart to replace the part he noticed mine didn't even have that part. Apparently nissan maxima's built after 09/30/09 did not have that faulty part. Mine was built 12/30/09. So now they are keeping it over night to see if theres a parasitic charge problem thats draining the battery. I don't know what else to do. Seriously just baffles me and even the mechanic is not real positive he can figure it out. I don't understand how I could open the trunk, rear passanger door, and then when I go to start the car the steering wheel is down in the drive position and theres no power to the car except the security light blinking on and off repeatedly. I'm considering trading it in and starting over. This is ridiculous.

I had the same problem with my 09 and found out the battery (OEM) was bad. Nissan changed it out with another OEM battery that had larger cranking amps and the problem was solved.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Wow, ok I will talk to the mechanic tomorrow and see what he says. We briefly discussed the battery but he said he ran 3 tests on it and they all came back good. How often did your maxima do this? Mine has happened twice now since purchased it used with 30k. Was the steering wheel ever down in the "drive" postion on your car when you just arrived to it and unlocked the doors? Thats what happens to mine and I don't see how this can happen without hitting the ignition.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:15 PM

Wow, ok I will talk to the mechanic tomorrow and see what he says. We briefly discussed the battery but he said he ran 3 tests on it and they all came back good. How often did your maxima do this? Mine has happened twice now since purchased it used with 30k. Was the steering wheel ever down in the "drive" postion on your car when you just arrived to it and unlocked the doors? Thats what happens to mine and I don't see how this can happen without hitting the ignition.

My Max was less than three years old when it did it only one time. The OEM battery was very small 525 CCA. Dealership changed it out with a 700 CCA and I haven't had any problems since. For what its worth the dealership rescued me from a down town parking lot with a battery jump and the car started right up. I drove it to the dealership about 10 miles turned it off and it wouldn't start again until they changed the battery.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
My Max was less than three years old when it did it only one time. The OEM battery was very small 525 CCA. Dealership changed it out with a 700 CCA and I haven't had any problems since. For what its worth the dealership rescued me from a down town parking lot with a battery jump and the car started right up. I drove it to the dealership about 10 miles turned it off and it wouldn't start again until they changed the battery.

Just spoke with the Nissan dealership. They recommended putting in a new battery as well. I told them I wanted to go up from the 575 to a 700 and they said I'd need to go with an aftermarket battery for that size...doesn't Nissan make a 700 CCA? Anyhow, now I guess I wait and see. Hopefully it doesn't do it again and this is the problem. Fingers crossed!!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Just spoke with the Nissan dealership. They recommended putting in a new battery as well. I told them I wanted to go up from the 575 to a 700 and they said I'd need to go with an aftermarket battery for that size...doesn't Nissan make a 700 CCA? Anyhow, now I guess I wait and see. Hopefully it doesn't do it again and this is the problem. Fingers crossed!!

Nissan makes a 700 CCA battery, maybe they just didn't have any in stock. If they put in a smaller CCA battery that will work for awhile, but I would get an aftermarket one later on. Wallmart sells Interstate battery that are quite good, as I use them on my other vehicles. The more CCA's the battery has the better.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Nissan makes a 700 CCA battery, maybe they just didn't have any in stock. If they put in a smaller CCA battery that will work for awhile, but I would get an aftermarket one later on. Wallmart sells Interstate battery that are quite good, as I use them on my other vehicles. The more CCA's the battery has the better.

Picked up the car last night and Nissan does have the 700 CCA battery like you mentioned. I like the warranty you get with the Nissan battery so that worked out well, hopefully this solves the problem with the lock/battery snafu's! Thanks for your help!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:52 AM

You are welcome. Did Nissan do any thing other than change the battery?