Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Would Like Input On Getting More/Better Tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Would Like Input On Getting More/Better Tools

Okay so my car is in the shop getting Cattman Headers put in and flywheel adjusted on my 02 Max. While I'm sitting here reading and looking up write ups, I'm thinking of some of the stuff I can do myself and the tools I don't have and that I do have. So I figured hey, why not start a thread about tools that we generally need to do our mods and more.
So basically I want your input of what are some important or general tools to always invest in to do general stuff on our cars. Me in particular I want to buy more power tools(Preferably cordless). Like impact wrenches/drills/etc.
Are there any particular brands you all prefer or think are crap? Budget friendly is always a first of course lol.
Any particular wrenches/ratchet sets that turned out to be life savers? I saw a set with adjustable elbows that my mechanic had that had me like I want that!
BTW my first input that I would like is electric Impact Wrench? If I'm maybe doing so exhaust work(test pipe) (catback) or just general stuff on my max, what should I be looking for as far as maybe power? manufacturer? price? reliability? Any tool is welcome btw, as long as it comes in handy just try to include a price range and what you would use it for. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:37 PM

10-12-14 sockets, shallow and deep, same size racheting wreches. Get a couple swivel socket attachments. If you are getting an electric impact wrench, get a quality one, dewalt or craftsman or similar.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 PM

i have a snap on CT6850 its a 1/2" cordless impact gun
honestly my best tool works great for suspensions, brakes, motor mounts ETC. does all the heavy work. i also have a CT4410a which is the 3/8" version its much smaller and thats for basic engine work to speed things up.
CT6850 - http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
CT4410A - http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=682421

if you do decide to go with an cordless impact wrench then you need a set of impact sockets, might i suggest the sunex 3329 3/8" set, i did tons research and reviews and i bought that set and i cannot complain about it, sizes from 8-22mm in both short and deep sockets they are really strong put them to the test.
http://www.sunextools.com/index.cfm?...=108&item=1967

and for the 1/2" sockets you i also recommend sunex 2669
http://www.sunextools.com/index.cfm?...=104&item=1564

you'll always need wrenches aswell and a basic set of good wrenches are craftsman or you can try michigan industrial or tekton
http://www.galco.com/buy/Michigan-In...FYqk4AodJSUAxA

i have the Michigan industrial and these things are tough, beat on them all day with a hammer and not even a scratch on them. if your budget is bigger for wrenches you can go with the gearwrench 9602 they are pricey so theyre on my christmas list this year. (theyre cheaper on ebay)
http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench...et-metric.html

all the tools ive recommended are in metric versions because our cars are foreign if you have domestic cars then im sure those brands have a mix of SAE and metric sets. sorry for going nuts on your thread but i love tools!!

Last edited by DjHackStyle; 11-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM

air compressor, air gun, air ratchet, tap and die set, full set of metric and imperial sockets, full set of metric and imperial wrenches, flaring tool, torches, hammer, full set of screwdrivers, extensions, breaker bar, etc
Old 11-03-2013, 07:57 PM

IF you see a tool you think you MAY need, BUY it!! Chances are, if you're a diy'er, that tool will come in handy!!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
i have a snap on CT6850 its a 1/2" cordless impact gun
honestly my best tool works great for suspensions, brakes, motor mounts ETC. does all the heavy work. i also have a CT4410a which is the 3/8" version its much smaller and thats for basic engine work to speed things up.
CT6850 - http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
CT4410A - http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=682421

if you do decide to go with an cordless impact wrench then you need a set of impact sockets, might i suggest the sunex 3329 3/8" set, i did tons research and reviews and i bought that set and i cannot complain about it, sizes from 8-22mm in both short and deep sockets they are really strong put them to the test.
http://www.sunextools.com/index.cfm?...=108&item=1967

and for the 1/2" sockets you i also recommend sunex 2669
http://www.sunextools.com/index.cfm?...=104&item=1564

you'll always need wrenches aswell and a basic set of good wrenches are craftsman or you can try michigan industrial or tekton
http://www.galco.com/buy/Michigan-In...FYqk4AodJSUAxA

i have the Michigan industrial and these things are tough, beat on them all day with a hammer and not even a scratch on them. if your budget is bigger for wrenches you can go with the gearwrench 9602 they are pricey so theyre on my christmas list this year. (theyre cheaper on ebay)
http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench...et-metric.html

all the tools ive recommended are in metric versions because our cars are foreign if you have domestic cars then im sure those brands have a mix of SAE and metric sets. sorry for going nuts on your thread but i love tools!!

Thanks for all the links, but those prices are wwaayyy out of my price range for just starting off....However I will pay attention to the specs and try to find something similar with a much lower price range. THanks for all the info with the links though..the sockets and wrenches work for me though.

Originally Posted by chrome91
air compressor, air gun, air ratchet, tap and die set, full set of metric and imperial sockets, full set of metric and imperial wrenches, flaring tool, torches, hammer, full set of screwdrivers, extensions, breaker bar, etc
I was thinking of a air compressor. I was just always worried about refilling them(if they can be refilled) Air tools better than electric?

Originally Posted by TriniSpeC
10-12-14 sockets, shallow and deep, same size racheting wreches. Get a couple swivel socket attachments. If you are getting an electric impact wrench, get a quality one, dewalt or craftsman or similar.
Yeah i noticed the swivel attachments would come in handy, but don't they have rachets with swivels on them? Have you tried those?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 11-04-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by TriniSpeC
The best impact wrench on the market presently (yeah its expensive) is the ingersoll rand cordless if you dont want to deal with air tools..
I wish they would make a similar one for much cheaper that has a cord
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Air tools are almost as expensive because you have to buy the compressor.

My advice is that you buy a compressor and impact that has enough power to do the toughest job.

It is simply not worth buying underpowered air tools/compressor and then a) having to pay someone to take something off because you don't have the power or b) going out and upgrading (which is what I ended up doing).

So, my recommendation is to select a strong impact - mine is 750 reverse. Then match it with a compressor that flows the proper cfm. (And you don't refill compressors).

If that is too expensive, then maybe an inexpensive electric just to speed up work.

As for other tools, the best advice is to try to find a sale on (or pawn shop) a complete set that has 1/2 3/8 and 1/4 ratchets, deep and short sockets, and wrenches, extensions of varios lengths and universal swivel joints.

Also good are ratcheting wrenches. These are expensive. And then you can also have ratecheting wrenches with flexible heads.

One tool that I have which is useful is a ratchet by husky where the handle slides up and down and you can twist it to tighten or loosen. I've seen another that has a swivel head.

The way I have dealt with tools is that as I'm doing a job, I will buy tools that I need for a job. After a while you have collected the tools and saved money.

Originally Posted by NYTooCooL
Yeah i noticed the swivel attachments would come in handy, but don't they have rachets with swivels on them? Have you tried those?
Yes they do. At both lowe's and home depot. Been meaning to pick one up.

Now I just use swivel joints, which may actually be more effective.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 11-04-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 AM

Thanks for all the links, but those prices are wwaayyy out of my price range for just starting off....However I will pay attention to the specs and try to find something similar with a much lower price range. THanks for all the info with the links though..the sockets and wrenches work for me though.
Yes tools are expensive, ive been working on cars for years and am always upgrading. Check out sears and start out with a metric set im sure theyll have something with wrenchs, sockets, pliers, and ratchets. Like a combo set for not very much.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM

IR, and pneumatic-air tool. Good brand, reliable, very little loss in re-sale. Or handtool.

Cordless. Nah. Convenient but not reliable. Become junk/annoying after few years, battery, charger, charging time, batter not holding charge, missing/mismatch chargers. Have one, 2-3 are too many.

Invest in good quality 1/2" sockets. 3/8" is smallest you want to stock, don't go to 1/4". 3/8" is for low torque application and small corners, any quality would do the job. 1/2" is indeed bulky and heavy.

By the way, mechanics/auto technicians earn living on how many cars they fix. They are picky on tools and they spend big for quality, dependable tools. Their selection criteria differ than yours (and mine) as DIYer. Like to get their selections, we might never get there, unless you want to become one of them.

Cheers
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM

I was thinking of a air compressor. I was just always worried about refilling them(if they can be refilled) Air tools better than electric?
the compressor has a motor on it that refills the tank when it gets low, larger tanks are better. air tools are a good idea if you would use them enough

Originally Posted by saig

By the way, mechanics/auto technicians earn living on how many cars they fix. They are picky on tools and they spend big for quality, dependable tools. Their selection criteria differ than yours (and mine) as DIYer. Like to get their selections, we might never get there, unless you want to become one of them.
as a mechanic, just gonna say that Snap-On, Mac, etc is useless to me. nearly all of my stuff is Chinese no-name and its held up just as good as Mac stuff ive bought. cheap stuff you dont care if it breaks, gets lost, or whatever. in fact in the last few years ive only broken 2 sockets. the prices on some Snap-On stuff is insanely marked up and you can get no-name stuff for 1/5 the price.

air tools are the only thing that i would say are worth going Snap-On. theyre good about rebuilding them and they last a long time, ive got a Snap-On air ratchet from 1972 that i still use daily
Old 11-07-2013, 11:36 PM

So if I'm going impact....how much power(specs) should i be looking for when I go to these stores?
Same with air tools/compressors/tanks ?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:40 PM

regular half inch air gun and a three eights air ratchet should do it. air compressors i dont know, we have a big one at work and ive only recently been looking for one myself at home
Old 11-10-2013, 06:15 AM

anyone else know about what kind of air compressor i should get for home?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Get your tools from Harbor Freight. Not only do you get perfectly good tools for super cheap, there's always a 25% off coupon you can tack on. And because they're so cheap, you can justify buying them, even if you rarely use them.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:24 PM

I've got (4) 1/2" drive Impact wrenches...1- 2135QTiMAX, 1-2135TiMAX (Pawnshop) and rebuilt, 1-Chicago Pneaumatic EarthQuake ($69) Harbor Freight Special and finally not least 1- Old Sanborn POS can bearly remove lug nuts.....The IR's are for work and the Earthquake and Sanborn are for my home shop...Alot of impact wrenches can be found in the pawn shops few a few dollars if you know what's a good brand or a good condition tool! I've found alot of good tools in the pawn shops just don't pay too much for them there! I got my 2135 for about $100 and then put it in the shop about 2 yrs later to have it rebuilt and it cost me $115..... still way cheaper than buying one brand new for $450...As for tools as a DIYer I would suggest you get a basic set from Sears, Lowe's,or The Home depot...and I would even tell you to browse Craigslist espaecially those large cities with alot going on....people have tools for sell all the time! As a DIYer and professional Aircraft, automotive, communication, and Allison transmission tech, I would say Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, Proto, S-K, and Craftsman are really good tools. Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell well be suggested for those specialty tools that are sometimes necessary to perform certain task on certian equipment with ease....But if you shop around K-D, Lisle can but found online and at your local auto parts stores to get that special task done!
I have three sets of tools and My DIYer tools are actually a small craftman set that I built up from a basic 3/8" set... Gearwrench combos along with some cheap Taiwan combos wrenches, an assortment of found on the street ratchet wrenches (Blackhawk, Snapon) Great Neck, Craftsman, whatever, my 1/2" sockets are all pawnshop special for $0.25- $0.50 each, my 1/2" drive craftsman ratchet was found on he highway and returned for a new one..I must have about (4) 3/8" ratchets and 2 long flexible 3/8" one was a Snap-On I found on n the road under an Overpass and I saw it and was rewarded with it being a Snap-On...Keep your eyes open and write down your prices so you know when you see a top brand for sell what it's really worth for real and you'l how hot it really is! Good luck Guy/Gals
Old 01-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Here's a creeper someone threw away and I found it in our scrap metal container dumpster, I disassembled it, cleaned up every piece, sanded, primer and painted the frame, Installed new casters on it (6) ea..for $6 ea..Here's the creeper:

Name:  0102141608-00_zpsc12ca284.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  0102141609-00_zps99416d20-1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Here's a pic of my Professional box (left) and my Home tool Roll-a-way (right)...I had the larger box since 1994 and the smaller box since 1987.....Craftsman boxes work for me If I ever out grow the larger box I'll go Mac, SnapOn or Cornwell (Used)!

Name:  1217131605-00_zpsd9a9fdcb.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  65.1 KB
Old 01-09-2014, 08:19 PM

I would suggest that you get 6 point sockets. The more common 12 point sockets are OK but when you have a really tight nut or bolt, you may end rounding the head with a 12 point.

Another item everyone seems to have skipped is a voltmeter. Unless you are going to only do the engine rebuilds or suspension work, you need one. Skip the $15 and under group, get a better one. Get an auto-ranging model, it makes it easier to use.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 AM

VOM have always been a necessity but even more so today with all the electronics in cars/trucks. I think everyone should invest into a diagnostic hand held OBD2 or maybe even the OBD3 that's on it's way....being able to monitor your car's operation in really easy and a money saving instrument. I think infared temperture sensor are an awesome tools to use for autocrosser's, engine tech's, etc...That tool can tell you alot about with your CAI is really a effective mod etc....Battery/charging analyzers are awesome for the DIY when you don't have enough solid info about WTF the problem really is, they help clarify alot of stuff! Good flashlights are a necessity along with nonlit or lit-inspection mirrors...as an Aircraft tech it was absolutely necessary and as an automotive tech it was as well....Sometmes we can't squeeze our Fat Heads in there to see! Anyway start small and try to buy any tools you've needed to have at least twice...I believe in buying mine if I needed it once!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 PM

I recommend at least one of everything...

LOL... I do this for a living, so I obviously have a different set of "needs" vs. "wants".

I'd say you "need" a compressor (if it's at your home, get a 2-stage because they're much quieter), a 50' hose, 1/2" impact, 3/8" air ratchet, decent hammer, a set of ratcheting/open end metric wrenches (Gearwrench makes 'em) and a good mechanics socket set (1/2, 3/8, 1/4 with ratchets, extensions). Everything else is a "want" and you'll but them as you need them. I worked out of my house for 15 years with just that stuff and a small Craftsman roller chest. I didn't start buying all the stuff shown above until it became my job.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 AM

^^Good advice^^
Old 02-20-2014, 06:52 PM

Okay I am replacing my alternator and I got to thinking, I love modding my car, but not enough to NEED an air compressor. What's a good starter cordless electric impact wrench I can buy at like Home Depot/Sears/ Lowes, etc. I just need something effective enough to the bolts that are more tough to break loose with a hand tool. If you don't have any particular ones, maybe some specs to look for?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Okay I am replacing my alternator and I got to thinking, I love modding my car, but not enough to NEED an air compressor. What's a good starter cordless electric impact wrench I can buy at like Home Depot/Sears/ Lowes, etc. I just need something effective enough to the bolts that are more tough to break loose with a hand tool. If you don't have any particular ones, maybe some specs to look for?
Eric the car guy just did a review on a 18v dewalt 3/8 impact that did pretty well, the 12v sucked but the 18v was pretty decent, check it out it might be what your looking for

If you want something for tougher bolts like suspensions and motor mounts check out a snap-on CT6850