1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

10.851 @ 125.55 Plus a 1.58 60'

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:07 PM

ahhhhhh! no freaken way! way to go Jime! my first impression when i saw the title was, its gotta be another car, more like a domestic or something but omg, i was wrong!
way to represent what the maxima can do, esp with an auto tranny!

by the way, i know you said your tranny is stock. so you never gotten it rebuilt or anything? how is it holdin up so far w/ all that power and racing? you don't think it would be neccessary to get beefier gear syncros?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

damn dude thts fn crazy, but awesome at the same time, sweet times man
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM

Awesome times man, thats incredible. I guess you truly do own a 4 door sports car
Old 10-07-2008, 05:13 AM
GrandPa

Grads on the record. Loved the video. Good luck in the future.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:25 AM

woooow. In a non-boosted auto....

Yep, ill be rubbing this in alot of faces also
CONGRATS!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Lightly modded

Holy Jeebus, you did it. Wow. How much more do you think you can squeeze out of it?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Holy Jeebus, you did it. Wow. How much more do you think you can squeeze out of it?
Geez Vin with a little more NOS she should be hittin 9's.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:07 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Respect.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 AM

can i have a copy of ur timeslip to just wave in anyones face that goes. isnt that your moms car. awsome times man great runs.....alright whose in for 9s!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 AM
nycnissans

Originally Posted by Jime
man, 10 sec maxima.......makes me really want to get away from boost but boost is more for highway runs, however for a 1/4 mile car the juice is the truth. Congrats on this achievement and keeping the community going. Its because of people like you that makes it possible for others to have fast maximas too.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Z driver

Can I say now that you owe me a 10 second car?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:14 AM

Just finished cleaning out my car from the weekend and decided to weigh my nitrous to see how much I had used. I filled 2 bottles for this exercise because I wanted to do a little tun9ing etc. One bottle is still full and the other has 3 lbs so I only used 7 lbs total for the last 2 weekends of spraying, much cheaper than a turbo or sc. That shows you how little effort was put into making this run.

However I must agree with secondtonone317 a turbo is better for highway use.

So the nitrous is coming out until we try this exercise again at the end of next season.

Originally Posted by DSMJim
Can I say now that you owe me a 10 second car?
I would sooner owe you than rip you off.

PS You forgot your coffee cup in the car.

Jim Jr rode shotgun to the track and back straddling the nitrous bottle, 2 hrs each way. What some kids don't do for their parents.

Last edited by Jime; 10-07-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM
NWP Engineering.com

WOW! Absolutely amazing Jim! I was expecting the 10s to come rather soon for you. But 1.58? I never thought that was possible for a Maxima without wheelie bars! Why do you think you unexpectedly hooked up with the 75 shot? Usually with the 75 shot launch, you've been running mid 1.7s while spinning them, right?

Did you have the front end locked down with aircraft cables? Anything special with the rears? Any suspension tips you can provide are greatly appreciated. I'm still shooting for those 1.7s. lol

Edit: What do you think you could run NA if you went all out with uncapped headers?

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 10-07-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 AM

congrats man!!! this is big!!!! REAL BIG!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
WOW! Absolutely amazing Jim! I was expecting the 10s to come rather soon for you. But 1.58? I never thought that was possible for a Maxima without wheelie bars! Why do you think you unexpectedly hooked up with the 75 shot? Usually with the 75 shot launch, you've been running mid 1.7s while spinning them, right?

Did you have the front end locked down with aircraft cables? Anything special with the rears? Any suspension tips you can provide are greatly appreciated. I'm still shooting for those 1.7s. lol
Well I have never ran nitrous in the 3.5 before with the exception of my 2k2 but it was leased so not a good comparison.

When I had the 3.0 in this car I ran big shots in single stage but I didn't have the suspension then so again not a good comparison so really this is a first for this car and this engine.

No change in the suspension from N/A, still using the aircraft cable in the front and GC's all the way around that were given to me by Eric in Buffalo. Nothing done to the rear suspension at all.

Even with a 35 shot later in the day I still ran a 1.63 so I don't think the 1.58 was a fluke. She just hooked like a ****, scared me the first run because I was used to pulling 1.9's N/A.

The one thing I did do from last weekend which I almost forgot about was take the lower set of camber bolts out. I had them set to max which is 2 deg from stock, now they are 1 deg. My slicks were wearing on the outsides but 2 deg was just too much.

I did have them uncapped for the first run N/A and it ran a 12.85 but that was with the 25" M&H Streets, I never did try with the M/T's. I don't like the noise of them uncapped sounds too much like a ricer V8.

Last edited by Jime; 10-07-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Turbo 3.5

Also did the u-tec sense and knock during either of the nitrous passes

I wish you had 1 more chance to make another pass with corrections made to the controller and tranny or larger slicks.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:51 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Well I have never ran nitrous in the 3.5 before with the exception of my 2k2 but it was leased so not a good comparison.

When I had the 3.0 in this car I ran big shots in single stage but I didn't have the suspension then so again not a good comparison so really this is a first for this car and this engine.

No change in the suspension from N/A, still using the aircraft cable in the front and GC's all the way around that were given to me by Eric in Buffalo. Nothing done to the rear suspension at all.

Even with a 35 shot later in the day I still ran a 1.63 so I don't think the 1.58 was a fluke. She just hooked like a ****, scared me the first run because I was used to pulling 1.9's N/A.

The one thing I did do from last weekend which I almost forgot about was take the lower set of camber bolts out. I had them set to max which is 2 deg from stock, now they are 1 deg. My slicks were wearing on the outsides but 2 deg was just too much.

I did have them uncapped for the first run N/A and it ran a 12.85 but that was with the 25" M&H Streets, I never did try with the M/T's. I don't like the noise of them uncapped sounds too much like a ricer V8.
Thanks. I bet it surprised you. I didn't think the 22" MT slicks were slightly capable of doing anything 1.6 or better on the Maxima. I am planning a 3.5 swap myself but in the 3rd gen. It will probably weigh somewhere around 2600lbs as well. I'd love to see anything in the 1.6s someday for this car.

What do you think you could have done NA if you went all out that day with open headers? Just curious what you think.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
Also did the u-tec sense and knock during either of the nitrous passes

I wish you had 1 more chance to make another pass with corrections made to the controller and tranny or larger slicks.
No there was knock detected during either pass. However it would have to be real BIG knock because when I race I unplug the stock KS and plug it to one I have mounted in the fender well. If I don't have it tuned properly before I get to the track I shouldn't be there. I don't want any knock pulling timing on me during a race, thats why I love the UTEC it operates standalone for timing and fuel, no computer input.

I think the slicks were doing great it was that controller that I wasn't used to and didn't have set properly. I think I will go back to a manual setup for both stages, seems to work much better. I could have probably done better with just another manual 50 shot for the 2nd stage. We will leave that for next year I still have 13 lbs of nitrous left.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks. I bet it surprised you. I didn't think the 22" MT slicks were slightly capable of doing anything 1.6 or better on the Maxima. I am planning a 3.5 swap myself but in the 3rd gen. It will probably weigh somewhere around 2600lbs as well. I'd love to see anything in the 1.6s someday for this car.

What do you think you could have done NA if you went all out that day with open headers? Just curious what you think.
I didn't think the 22" M/T's would do any better than a 1.7 but then again I never put them to the test on this car and engine.

Not sure if it would make much difference N/A with the headers open, I have a 2 1/2" mandrel bent catback and a straight through muffler so not much resistance. However I think they make a huge difference with the nitrous with the extra HP.

PS You having another get together this winter in Fl?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:04 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I didn't think the 22" M/T's would do any better than a 1.7 but then again I never put them to the test on this car and engine.

Not sure if it would make much difference N/A with the headers open, I have a 2 1/2" mandrel bent catback and a straight through muffler so not much resistance. However I think they make a huge difference with the nitrous with the extra HP.

PS You having another get together this winter in Fl?
So you don't think 11s are possible with your car NA as it sits right now? I know the VQ35 likes nitrous, but that is a pretty large jump in trap speed.

With my cutout open, it bypasses the stock Bpipe and stock muffler and lowers my NA 1/4 mile times by .15. But, with your catback setup, it may not help much.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Awesome times bro! It seems like all these manual guys who keep breaking trannys should go to a auto with a high stall converter instead, 1.5 60ft's are numbers that high powered rwd/awd cars get!

I hope one day when my motor is done I can get down into the 10's

Again congratulations and good luck on getting into the 9's!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Turbo 3.5

No there was knock detected during either pass. However it would have to be real BIG knock because when I race I unplug the stock KS and plug it to one I have mounted in the fender well. If I don't have it tuned properly before I get to the track I shouldn't be there. I don't want any knock pulling timing on me during a race, thats why I love the UTEC it operates standalone for timing and fuel, no computer input.

I think the slicks were doing great it was that controller that I wasn't used to and didn't have set properly. I think I will go back to a manual setup for both stages, seems to work much better. I could have probably done better with just another manual 50 shot for the 2nd stage. We will leave that for next year I still have 13 lbs of nitrous left.
I was referring to your comment about going thur the traps at 7k in 3rd, did not know if you wanted to try a larger slick or 4th gear

as for the controller you can have the 2nd stage triggered with a manual switch thur the controller so it will cut on at whatever rpm you choose

sick times, I just wish the track season was not over up there so you could give it another go I know a mid 10sec slip is not out of the question with just some very very small adjustments. This is going to be a long year, I guessing thats why your not even sweating it or maybe your giving the rest of the org time to try and catchup

Last edited by t6378tp; 10-07-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM

So you don't think 11s are possible with your car NA as it sits right now? I know the VQ35 likes nitrous, but that is a pretty large jump in trap speed.

With my cutout open, it bypasses the stock Bpipe and stock muffler and lowers my NA 1/4 mile times by .15. But, with your catback setup, it may not help much.
Before this last weekend I was thinking I may have to drop a fresh engine in next spring. The compression was 165 all around when I checked last week while dropping in a new set of 2 step colder plugs. However its not using any oil at all and it seemed pretty good on Sunday.

No I don't think I could get 11's without some engine work which isn't going to happen. Not worth the money or effort, I will stick with the stock blocks, they seem to be working ok for me. Same for the trans. I can remember what my 2k2 was like shifting from 2-3, didn't think it was ever going to complete the shift and it was like that with even a 100 shot. This one got a little slow on the 2-3 with the 200 shot but not much I was the only one that noticed because I was really listening for it.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
I was refering to your comment about going thur the traps at 7k in 3rd, did not know if you wanted to try a larger slick on 4th gear

as for the controller you have the 2nd stage triggered with a manual switch thur the controller so it will cut on at whatever rpm you choose

sick times I just wish the track season was not over up there so you could give it 1 more shot I know a mid 10sec slip is not out of the question with just some very very small adjustments. I guessing thats why your not even sweating it or maybe your giving the rest of the org time to try and catchup
Ya I will have to really look at that but i will probably go back to the 23" M&H's so that will fix the top end a bit or i could lock up the converter wnich I haven't really tried yet.

The controller is fully automatic, just an arming switch so I just flip it on after my burnout. It comes on and off all by itself, of course I can manually shut it off but I haven't done that.

One thing I did try just for kicks is do the burnout with the 1st stage activated so as soon as I hit WOT it comes on, WOW does it ever light up the tires.

My launch control does wonders for the launch, its amazing how hard it hits even N/A, goes from about 20% throttle to 100% in a split second. Thats something else I may mess with as well, increase it up to 30 or 40% and see if the line lock can hold it. That would make it jump out of the hole a little quicker.

If you listen close to the video you can hear it torque up before the launch, its not a whole lot but you can hear it. I made that thing because I was continually being dragged across the start line and red lighting, which gets real annoying in a hurry.

I really didn't expect 10's, that was what I hoped for after some calculating, but calculators and real world are 2 different things. I expected low 11's so yes I am not in too big a hurry to try and go quicker right now.

Last edited by Jime; 10-07-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Before this last weekend I was thinking I may have to drop a fresh engine in next spring. The compression was 165 all around when I checked last week while dropping in a new set of 2 step colder plugs. However its not using any oil at all and it seemed pretty good on Sunday.

No I don't think I could get 11's without some engine work which isn't going to happen. Not worth the money or effort, I will stick with the stock blocks, they seem to be working ok for me. Same for the trans. I can remember what my 2k2 was like shifting from 2-3, didn't think it was ever going to complete the shift and it was like that with even a 100 shot. This one got a little slow on the 2-3 with the 200 shot but not much I was the only one that noticed because I was really listening for it.
That's pretty awesome to go from low 12s to high 10s with a 75 shot. But that 60 foot is what made the ET spectacular. With a 1.75, you'd be running 11.3-11.4s probably.

How do you think the traction got so much better than your previous 1.7s that you are use to? The slicks and suspension are the same, right? Just more power all around?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Oh. I don't have any Maxima meets planned for this winter in Florida. I am already concentrating on Maxus 09 in the DC area.

But if I can get my 3.5 working in the 3rd gen fast enough, I may drive it down to Florida as early as Feb or March of next year.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 PM

That's pretty awesome to go from low 12s to high 10s with a 75 shot. But that 60 foot is what made the ET spectacular. With a 1.75, you'd be running 11.3-11.4s probably.

How do you think the traction got so much better than your previous 1.7s that you are use to? The slicks and suspension are the same, right? Just more power all around?
I never had that suspension before, I got the GC's when I did the 3.5 swap so it is new and I never had the launch control before and it really snaps much quicker than you can press the pedal down.

Also I may have hit a happy spot for the camber that matches the rest of the suspension, whatever it is I am not changing it.

Eric gave me those GC's because he sold them and shipped them to a guy who found out he couldn't adjust them because the allen key bolts that adjust them were frozen and the guy shipped them back. So he just gave them to me.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I never had that suspension before, I got the GC's when I did the 3.5 swap so it is new and I never had the launch control before and it really snaps much quicker than you can press the pedal down.

Also I may have hit a happy spot for the camber that matches the rest of the suspension, whatever it is I am not changing it.

Eric gave me those GC's because he sold them and shipped them to a guy who found out he couldn't adjust them because the allen key bolts that adjust them were frozen and the guy shipped them back. So he just gave them to me.
Very nice. Is this launch control a 2 step rev limiter or just a line lock by itself? Where did you get it from? I've been wanting to do a line lock ever since I was bracket racing every weekend in Las Vegas. It would have made for more consistent launches.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM

it's that canadian air damit! congrads jim, you have now set the bar even higher for the sedans!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Very nice. Is this launch control a 2 step rev limiter or just a line lock by itself? Where did you get it from? I've been wanting to do a line lock ever since I was bracket racing every weekend in Las Vegas. It would have made for more consistent launches.
I made this one utilizing the DBW setup. It uses 2 fixed resistors in parallel with the signals sent from the gas pedal petentiometers connected to a relay making it think its just at a partial throttle while I have the pedal to the metal. When I release the button the linelock disconnects and at the same time the relay disconnects the 2 resistors and bang full throttle instantly. Very simple but effective, by changing the 2 resistors I can have any % throttle I want while the pedal is fully down.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Jime, what was your rpm as you crossed the line? Also were you in 3rd gear or 4th crossing the line?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I made this one utilizing the DBW setup. It uses 2 fixed resistors in parallel with the signals sent from the gas pedal petentiometers connected to a relay making it think its just at a partial throttle while I have the pedal to the metal. When I release the button the linelock disconnects and at the same time the relay disconnects the 2 resistors and bang full throttle instantly. Very simple but effective, by changing the 2 resistors I can have any % throttle I want while the pedal is fully down.
That's pretty neat. I figured it was something you rigged up.

Where did you get your linelock kit?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Jime, what was your rpm as you crossed the line? Also were you in 3rd gear or 4th crossing the line?
He already said he was at 7000 in 3rd when he crossed the line because he had 4th locked out.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM

That's pretty neat. I figured it was something you rigged up.

Where did you get your linelock kit?
$39.99 used it for 3 years now.
http://www.biondoracing.com/RacerEssentials.shtml
Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
NWP Engineering.com

That's cheaper than I see them for in the Jegs catalog. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM

here i am scrolling down to the local section when i see 10.8 flashes on my screen, WTF!!! you made me a proud owner of a maxima (auto at that)
Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM

Congrats Jime!!! Suddenly, my car feels slow again.
If you want more track time, You should try to attend the Import v.s. Domestics here in MD.
http://mirworldcupfinals.com/
Pretty sure you would do well
Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jay_pee99
Congrats Jime!!! Suddenly, my car feels slow again.
If you want more track time, You should try to attend the Import v.s. Domestics here in MD.
http://mirworldcupfinals.com/
Pretty sure you would do well
:sqiunt: i see what you're doing here
Old 10-07-2008, 03:09 PM

However I must agree with secondtonone317 a turbo is better for highway use.
so does this mean boost is coming?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghostmax301
so does this mean boost is coming?
Sorry not my style, gotta be cheap and simple for Jime. Only use stock stuff, I don't build engines or use complicated gizmos. I now have a u-pick wreckers to get all my parts cheap. My next project is replacing my own wheel bearings using simple tools and not a 10 ton press. I have already removed an old one and will install all 4 before next racing season.

Quick Reply: 10.851 @ 125.55 Plus a 1.58 60'