1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

1980 max ecu versus 1988 max ecu

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 08:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1980 max ecu versus 1988 max ecu

When I got my cars engine rebuilt they said they needed a new ecu but I remember looking on the paper and it said 1980 Nissan Maxima so they had my car down as a 1980. I dont know why but I also noticed that my cover for my ecu isnt on it was in the back trunk. So is the 1980 Max ecu bigger than the 1988 model? I might have the wrong ecu in my car . I mean it works fine my shifts are higher in Rpms more performance based Ive noticed but My cruise control doesnt work now after the rebuild. Could this different ecu make a difference between all that??

Q
Old 08-05-2002, 01:36 PM
Charles Bisel

There's no way that you could be running a first gen ECU in a 2nd gen. The fuel/air mixtures are totally different and I'm sure that some of the wires don't go to the same sensors on the 2nd gen as they do on the 1st gen. And I don't believe that the 1st gen has as many sensors as the 2nd gen.

As for the cruise control, there could be a few things that could cause it to malfunction. The computer for the cruise control is located inside the engine compartment, it's called the Automatic Speed Control Device (ASCD). As far as I know, it doesn't have any interaction with the ECU. So there could be a problem with the ASCD or one if it's components like the vacuum pump, vacuum pump relay, vacuum switch, vacuum tank, the speed sensor, or the switch for the cruise control. Also, check your window mounted brake light. If that bulb is burned out or missing, the cruise control will not work.

Don't forget, the cruise control won't activate unless you're going over 35 mph.

-C-

Old 08-05-2002, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
There's no way that you could be running a first gen ECU in a 2nd gen. The fuel/air mixtures are totally different and I'm sure that some of the wires don't go to the same sensors on the 2nd gen as they do on the 1st gen. And I don't believe that the 1st gen has as many sensors as the 2nd gen.

As for the cruise control, there could be a few things that could cause it to malfunction. The computer for the cruise control is located inside the engine compartment, it's called the Automatic Speed Control Device (ASCD). As far as I know, it doesn't have any interaction with the ECU. So there could be a problem with the ASCD or one if it's components like the vacuum pump, vacuum pump relay, vacuum switch, vacuum tank, the speed sensor, or the switch for the cruise control. Also, check your window mounted brake light. If that bulb is burned out or missing, the cruise control will not work.

Don't forget, the cruise control won't activate unless you're going over 35 mph.

-C-

Thanks I know it doesnt work under 35. It must be something they didnt connect right because it was working at first before the rebuild. Im ****ed now. I paid 1500 for too many things not done
Old 08-05-2002, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by max88q

Thanks I know it doesnt work under 35. It must be something they didnt connect right because it was working at first before the rebuild. Im ****ed now. I paid 1500 for too many things not done
This was one of the things I forgot to check before paying them. And I tried it on the highway and nothing happened. The lights are on for it but the gas pedal doesnt suck in like its suppose to. I read that its Vaccuum actuated so I dont doubt that theres something they didnt do correctly.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, I forgot that you said that you just had a rebuild. That must be your problem then. I'd take it back to them and tell them that the cruise control doesn't work and that it worked fine before you had them monkey with your engine. Even though it's not that big of a problem, nevertheless, they broke something that was working before and should be responsible for fixing it.

-C-

Old 08-06-2002, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Yeah, I forgot that you said that you just had a rebuild. That must be your problem then. I'd take it back to them and tell them that the cruise control doesn't work and that it worked fine before you had them monkey with your engine. Even though it's not that big of a problem, nevertheless, they broke something that was working before and should be responsible for fixing it.

-C-
Yeah in a way I dont trust them from all the mess I went through with them to getting my engine rebuilt. Im trying to assist the problem my self but if not I will take it to them to get it fixed because it was working before and now its not.