1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

88 Door Panel.......need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

88 Door Panel.......need Help!

sup ya...My driver side door panel, the plastic part where all the window controls are on and speekers and handel. The inner plastic is broken where the screws are screwed and now I cant close my door with handle. The three screw holder is broken at the door handle area(inside) and I was wondering does anyone has that part? And can you tell me how to take the whole door panel off, even the cloth part...In great detail cause i tried and i torn something.

oh...the color i think is gray...
Old 01-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thx!!
Old 01-13-2003, 07:32 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Floater-Max88
thx!!
Find a locale junk yard with the 85-88 max with the same color interior and pull the panel off that.

S
Old 01-13-2003, 06:54 PM

Sorry that I'm posting a little late, but I tried to post yesterday, the server was busy and my post dissapeared. Anyway here are the instructions from Haynes:
http://slider-gta.members.easyspace..../door_trim.jpg

Here's the rest of the instructions:

7. For acess to the inner door, carefully peel back the plastic watershield.
8. Prior to installation of the door panel, be sure to reinstall any clips in the panel which may have come out during the removal procedure and remain in the door itself.
9. Plug in the wire harness connectors and place the panel in postion in the door. Press the door panel into place until the clips are seated and install the armrest/door pulls. Install the manual regulator window crank or power window switch assembly.

As for the part your best/cheapest bet is a junkyard. I would also suggest getting a Chiltons Manual, Haynes Manual, or Factory Service Manual.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Slider
Sorry that I'm posting a little late, but I tried to post yesterday, the server was busy and my post dissapeared. Anyway here are the instructions from Haynes:
http://slider-gta.members.easyspace..../door_trim.jpg

Here's the rest of the instructions:

7. For acess to the inner door, carefully peel back the plastic watershield.
8. Prior to installation of the door panel, be sure to reinstall any clips in the panel which may have come out during the removal procedure and remain in the door itself.
9. Plug in the wire harness connectors and place the panel in postion in the door. Press the door panel into place until the clips are seated and install the armrest/door pulls. Install the manual regulator window crank or power window switch assembly.

As for the part your best/cheapest bet is a junkyard. I would also suggest getting a Chiltons Manual, Haynes Manual, or Factory Service Manual.

THX...SLIDER
do you have the pic to the whole panel, i think there is clip missing so i need to open the whole panel, but the link you gave helped a lot. If you look 10.3 pic the two screws on top with the arrow are the two that are broken...But thx...i ll try the look at junk yards, but i tried before for other parts and 88maixma over here at the bay area are BONE pull...and where is the best place to get a cheap service manual
Old 01-14-2003, 11:51 PM

mine had that same problem....what I did was I unscrewed the handle part from the rest of the door panel, which can be done by popping out the screw cover inside the handle (at the bottom, where you put your hand, if you follow), then sliding it back a bit and pulling the entire top assembly off. you will need to unplug the connectors for the power locks/windows. there will be a plastic lip behind that, up against the door, for the bottom assembly. I took some self-tapping sheet metal screws and washers and put them through that lip into the door, and when the handle is reassembled they can't be seen. And it's working pretty good. this supports the handle and the door panel. However, if you go this way, be sure that the screws you use are only about an inch long at the MOST, because if you use anything longer you run the risk of screwing them into the window. however, as stated before, you always have the option of going to an automotive graveyard and pulling a door panel off there. if it takes a dead maxima to make another one better, it's worth it. but I don't see too many of these cars in the junkyard because they're all STILL ON THE ROAD.

Hope this helps.

Dan
1989 Nissan Sentra, killed 8/23/01
I think I heard it scream before it crashed and died.
It remains forever in Sentra Heaven.
SHIFT_eternity.