1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Maxine wont talk

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 11:55 PM

Maxine wont talk

A couple of years ago Maxine (born 1986) stopped telling me that her fuel level was low. Now For some reason she aint telling me jack. No parking brake is on, no left door is open, no lights are on or fuel level is low. Does anyone know the reason or the location of the fuse. I cant find one.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:57 AM

Re: Maxine wont talk

Originally posted by MrSmith
A couple of years ago Maxine (born 1986) stopped telling me that her fuel level was low. Now For some reason she aint telling me jack. No parking brake is on, no left door is open, no lights are on or fuel level is low. Does anyone know the reason or the location of the fuse. I cant find one.
*****in' Betty may just be turned off. There is a switch on the console. But I bet you know that. She is hooked up to your driver's side speaker only. Maybe the wire came off. Or maybe you got an aftermarket stereo with new wires and it isn't hooked up. Follow the stock wire under the dash and you will find a module with her in it.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:29 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Maxine wont talk

Originally posted by dr.disc

*****in' Betty may just be turned off. There is a switch on the console. But I bet you know that. She is hooked up to your driver's side speaker only. Maybe the wire came off. Or maybe you got an aftermarket stereo with new wires and it isn't hooked up. Follow the stock wire under the dash and you will find a module with her in it.
Unfortunately, that switch doesn't turn off the system all together. It will turn it off if your driving and you don't want to hear about it. It will ignore that switch when it comes to saying "Key is in the ignition", and "lights are on". You could have a few issues, first like dr. disc said, the wire is loose. If you did the aftermarket stereo, it should be find unless you replaced the wires, which then you have to hook them into the new line. It could also mean that the voice warning system is bad, or you have a blown fuse somewhere for it (can't remember if this got a fuse or a fusible link).

S
Old 02-04-2003, 10:01 PM

Its funny you said that, When maxine went into her colma a couple years ago I removed the front door speaker and didnt think about it until you said the driver side door.

Shes been coming around lately, I got her started, I got the clutch peddle working and now Im gonna put it back to it's stock height. (She has Intrax stockings on her Kybs). I think Ill have her up and on the road again soon. Thanks
Old 02-04-2003, 10:54 PM
I love lamp.

Its funny you said that, When maxine went into her colma a couple years ago I removed the front door speaker and didnt think about it until you said the driver side door.

Shes been coming around lately, I got her started, I got the clutch peddle working and now Im gonna put it back to it's stock height. (She has Intrax stockings on her Kybs). I think Ill have her up and on the road again soon. Thanks
You got some springs on it? How much did you lower the car by? Would you be willing to sell those springs?

S
Old 02-04-2003, 10:57 PM

On my 86Se Maxima, she hasn't told me fuel level is low, for the last 3-4 years. The low fuel warning light don't come on either. All other voice warnings work. Ran out of gas twice on the freeway, thanks CalTran for the free gallon of gas on Xmas eve, thanks dear for helping push my car out of harms way the second time.
The fuel gauge works on the dash. I tried another voice unit but same results.
I have the FSM, and been trying to find out where the signal for the low fuel level is coming from. The manual shows it connected to its own fuel tank gauge unit. The fuel level needle gauge also is shown connected to its own fuel tank unit. It just looks confusing so I'm going to trace the wire back to the fuel tank gauge unit and see if I can find the problem.
Don't know why I'm working on this? Won't make my car run any better.
Lets see, air regulator, need new clutch, loose steering rack, fuel consumption hi, hummmmmmm, which problem to tackle first?
Geeeee I'm gonna sleep on this, nite!
Old 02-07-2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by maximase86

You got some springs on it? How much did you lower the car by? Would you be willing to sell those springs?

S
I (Might) sell them I dont know. I kinda like it. I bought them in 1996 and they were installed at this Nissan Junkyard by a guy I knew. It was installed with KYB struts and they had to get sometype of kit because of the sonar crap. But it lowered it Ahh.. crap i forgot. It's been 7 years and I cant remember what size I ordered, At that time I had never heard of Intrax I just wanted LOW. as a result I have Lifters on the FRONT and still cant get a jack under it without lifting the back off the ground. The only size tire on a 15 inch rim I can put on it is 205-50/15 but the rims I had on it were a 205-40/16, the reason I put lifters on it is because even going over a speed bump side ways I still scrubbed the bottom. I'll post a picture (IF) I can find one.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:06 AM

yeah my low fuel light doesn't work either, I tore the dashboard apart to check if the bulb was burned out but it's not. every now and then I see it flicker, sometimes it fades on then fades off a few seconds later, I'd also like to see where the control for this is so that I can fix it...let me know what you find.

Dan
-----------
89 Sentra, 1.6L 4-speed
Born 9/21/00, killed 8/23/01
SHIFT_ETERNITY.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:00 PM

I dont even trust this crap anymore, I just listen to reason and think if I should or shouldnt get some gas.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Desperately Seeking Maxine....

I am doing a wire trace in the Maxima now. I pulled the entire factory system out. Thats when I lost her voice. I found the voice warning box, but I have to find out which wires ran from the warning box/to the amplifier/to the driver side speaker, and connect them all together to make her work again. The voice warning box is located underneath the center console, just in front of the stick shift (the automatic transmission lever for the shifting impaired ).
Old 02-11-2003, 08:22 AM

Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

Originally posted by GundamWZero
I am doing a wire trace in the Maxima now. I pulled the entire factory system out. Thats when I lost her voice. I found the voice warning box, but I have to find out which wires ran from the warning box/to the amplifier/to the driver side speaker, and connect them all together to make her work again. The voice warning box is located underneath the center console, just in front of the stick shift (the automatic transmission lever for the shifting impaired ).
Old 02-11-2003, 12:20 PM

Re: Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

..............what?
Old 02-11-2003, 01:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

..............what?
I guess I screwed up and poked the wrong button.

I put in a replacement interior, left my wire for the switch to *****in' Betty under the carpet. All I get is "Key is in the ignition".
Old 02-11-2003, 01:42 PM

Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

The voice warning box is located underneath the center console, just in front of the stick shift (the automatic transmission lever for the shifting impaired ).
It runs all the warnings?? including gas?
Old 02-11-2003, 02:22 PM

You're still better off than me.

Mine never talked.

Since it was sold in Quebec and Maxine only knew english at the time, they just left it out...

I know what you're talking about though. My buddy had her in his old 240sx. Something went wrong and she started yelling at him constantly that the key was in the ignition so he silenced her permanently.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:22 PM

You're still better off than me.

Mine never talked.

Since it was sold in Quebec and Maxine only knew english at the time, they just left it out...

I know what you're talking about though. My buddy had her in his old 240sx. Something went wrong and she started yelling at him constantly that the key was in the ignition so he silenced her permanently.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:49 PM

Re: Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

It runs all the warnings?? including gas?
No. It only runs the "key is in the ignition" warning, even when the key is out sometimes. I don't know about the gas level, I never let it get very low, I don't want to deal with condensation, so I keep topping it off. I guess I am going to have to pull the console back out and cut the carpet under it to find the wire, so I can plug the switch in. I'll actually need to find two wires, because the o.d. switch wire is under there too.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:31 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

No. It only runs the "key is in the ignition" warning, even when the key is out sometimes. I don't know about the gas level, I never let it get very low, I don't want to deal with condensation, so I keep topping it off. I guess I am going to have to pull the console back out and cut the carpet under it to find the wire, so I can plug the switch in. I'll actually need to find two wires, because the o.d. switch wire is under there too.
One thing I notice about the about the key in the ignition deal, sometimes when you pull the key out, the little lever inside the ignition gets stuck and the voice unit thinks the car is still in the ignition. Sometimes you need to put the key back in and pull it back out to make sure the lever moves back in place, or try lubricating it (probably need to remove the steering column to do that).

Also, for some of you, there are some maxima's out there that don't have the voice warning system. If that is the case, you probably have a floater. To tell, basically your car doesn't have a the voice warning, (you can tell if you don't have the little overide switch next to the brake), no antenna override switch, and I believe that these option all had sunroofs....or they don't have them, I can't remember.

S
Old 02-12-2003, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

One thing I notice about the about the key in the ignition deal, sometimes when you pull the key out, the little lever inside the ignition gets stuck and the voice unit thinks the car is still in the ignition. Sometimes you need to put the key back in and pull it back out to make sure the lever moves back in place, or try lubricating it (probably need to remove the steering column to do that).

Also, for some of you, there are some maxima's out there that don't have the voice warning system. If that is the case, you probably have a floater. To tell, basically your car doesn't have a the voice warning, (you can tell if you don't have the little overide switch next to the brake), no antenna override switch, and I believe that these option all had sunroofs....or they don't have them, I can't remember.

S
Well, my wagon is definately a floater, and it has the sunroof.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Well, my wagon is definately a floater, and it has the sunroof.
Yeah, if I hear a little click when the key comes out, the warning does not happen. I can jiggle the key around to make it happen. It quits when the door closes, anyway. I think. At least the battery doesn't run down. When you remove the plastic around the column, you are still looking at the outside of the lock cylinder, so there is no reason to take it apart. Key lube should go in with the key.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Desperately Seeking Maxine....

Sometimes you need to put the key back in and pull it back out to make sure the lever moves back in place, or try lubricating it (probably need to remove the steering column to do that).

S

does it moan and groan too
Old 02-13-2003, 03:22 PM

............good one, partner.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:21 PM

Just a Follow up

I finally traced the wiring on the voice warning system for "fuel level is low". After removing the back seat you can see the wiring on the left side rear pillar going to the fuel tank. From pin #20 of the voice unit (under the front of the center console) all the way back to the fuel tank gauge unit's 6 pin connector, they only use 5 pins. The wiring is good.

I connected a ground wire to pin#20 and the "fuel level is low" light came on, soon the voice warning started talking.

Pin #20 is connected to its own switch/wiper on the fuel tank to activate the voice warning when there is 2.75 gallons left. So it must be broken in the tank unit, not worth fixing since the the fuel level needle gauge still works as it is also connected to separate wipers.

On my 86se the low fuel level light would also flicker on and off till it stayed on then gave the voice warning. That's how it used to work. So if your light flickers maybe its your voice unit that is bad????

Al
Old 02-17-2003, 08:24 PM

Thanks, Thats some researching, when I need to fix It Ill know were I may need to go. Thanks