1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Crazy fuel level problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 02:29 PM

Crazy fuel level problem

Alright guys, here's the deal. Something is screwed up with my fuel level indicators (dash display and drive computer). I went to fill her up yesterday because my computer said i had 3 gallons left (the dash said approx the same). Anyway, the pump turned off after only 6 gallons. I then checked the computer to see what it said, and it told me I now had 12 gallons left.

What the heck is goin on here? Anything I could do to fix it? Thanx.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:35 PM

you must have the digital dash....otherwise, I don't know what computer you are talking about.

either way, the only thing I can even remotely think of is maybe the fuel level sending unit. it varies the electrical resistance to the gauge based upon the fuel level. It is basically a float in the gas tank. however, it's a major PITA to get to. it mounts on the fuel pump, which is under the back seat. like I said, getting to it is a project in itself.

if you choose to fix this, I'd consult a haynes or chiltons manual for directions on testing the sending unit. I know for sure the Haynes goes over it. it might be worth the money. they can be more precise than I can, but I'll try my best. this is how to get to the sending unit:

(1) remove back seat, bottom part: pull up on front to unclip, then pull straight out.

(2) fold down back seat, and remove the fold-down parts. you will need a 10mm socket for this.

(3) you will see a round panel about 5" diameter with 4 large Philips screws holding it down. this will be mounted where the back seat used to be.

(4) remove anything in your way. you will most likely need a 10mm socket for this, everything in these cars uses a 10mm socket.

(5) take out the 4 screws, but be wary...you may need to soak them with WD-40 or something first. mine were extremely hard to remove.

the round thing under that is the fuel pump/sending unit. there should be 4 or 5 wires going to it. there are screws along the outside of it securing it to the tank. BE CAREFUL when removing that, if you choose to, because that's straight gasoline right inside. I don't recommend smoking, if you're a smoker.

anyway that's how you get to it, I'm sorry I can't be much more help or tell you exactly how to test it.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:13 PM

thanks, ill check out my chiltons, though i dont remember seeing anyhting about this before. Maybe when I get a free Saturday sometime ill go after it.

btw, my car is an 85. it has a dig dash and a completley seperate drive computer under the radio. tells mpg, fuel left, miles to empty etc. That is what i was talking about.

thanks again