1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Digital to Analog Dash Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Digital to Analog Dash Conversion

I just found this great webpage TODAY....
I have a 86 Maxima and a 78 280Z that have given me some great times and No, neither are for sale
Anyhow, there is a "Pick-a-part" salvage yard in town with 9 - Gen 2's and Gen 3's almost complete. just looking for us to reincarnate!

But, I have had a few problems with my digital gauge cluster and computer especially fuel levels, I replaced the float/filter assembly but to no avail.

Has anyone out there swapped the Digital Gauge for an Analog???
If so, what all did it entail?
Thanx

86 Maxima GL

16 x 8 + 225/55-16
K&N + Pacesetter
2-DIN (1992)Bose/Nissan Cass/CD
Old 02-24-2003, 11:52 AM
Charles Bisel

No one that I know of has done that swap and I've been on these boards for over 2 years.

It would be extremely difficult to do the swap, as you're going to have to change out the sending units and all kinds of other stuff.

You should be able to pick up a digital cluster at a salvage yard for around $100. If you don't have a junkyard near you, check out http://www.car-part.com you can call one of the junkyards that has the digital instrument cluster and have them ship it to you.

-C-

Old 02-24-2003, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Digital to Analog Dash Conversion

I called the wrecking yard and was told $25.00 for a Digital replacement, but out of curiousity...I asked about the conversion and was told it has been done before.
I would need a gauge cluster, in tank fuel pump/sending unit assy,
new o-ring and small harness. All for $100.00.
I'm a little skeptical, but willing to give it shot to see what happens.
Let's see if my Electrical Apprenticeship Pay Off
Thanx
Old 02-24-2003, 12:17 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Digital to Analog Dash Conversion

Originally posted by withstrings
I called the wrecking yard and was told $25.00 for a Digital replacement, but out of curiousity...I asked about the conversion and was told it has been done before.
Thanx
Unfortunately C is right. You can try to see if it may work. Most likely your going to have to change some sending units.

S
Old 02-24-2003, 01:36 PM

Thanx
I know the fuel level sensor is different. The oil pressure sensor could also be different, as well as the voltage and temp...but not 100% certain. Even if the sending units - except fuel - are the same, some things would need to be changed...I'm sure the harnesses are a little different, etc...

If you go to the trouble, and everything works, by all means, let us know...I don't have the digital cluster, thank God, but a lot of us do, and would love to do the convo...
Old 02-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Digital to Analog Dash Conversion

I have located a 1986 Digital and 1986 Analog Schematic, and am having them burned to transparencies to see if there are any differences,
and I'll hunt down the part numbers to see if there are any changes as well...there was a big layoff for a lot of US builders/skilled craftsmen so I've got a little time on my hands
Time to get a little dirty and pull some hair out.
I'll share with youse as soon as I get it operational.
Hey folks, this is a great Forum and I am glad to be a part of Ya!
Thanx
Old 02-24-2003, 11:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Digital to Analog Dash Conversion

I have located a 1986 Digital and 1986 Analog Schematic, and am having them burned to transparencies to see if there are any differences,
and I'll hunt down the part numbers to see if there are any changes as well...there was a big layoff for a lot of US builders/skilled craftsmen so I've got a little time on my hands
Time to get a little dirty and pull some hair out.
I'll share with youse as soon as I get it operational.
Hey folks, this is a great Forum and I am glad to be a part of Ya!
Thanx
This is a frequent modification in the Z31 Nissans. Gen 2 Maximas are very similar in this respect. You need analog engine sensors, a speedo cable, an instrument module, a dash subharness, and analog fuel sending unit. There is an instruction on Z31.com website in the modifications section. It is the same procedure.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Digital to Analog Dash Conversion

Hey Dr. Disc:
I searched the modifications section and I couldn't find the article
you spoke of, where did you say it was again???
I bought the cable, gauge cluster, subharness, fuel sending unit/pump assembly for $80.00 earlier today, but I need to know about those engine sensors.
Thanx

Originally posted by dr.disc

This is a frequent modification in the Z31 Nissans. Gen 2 Maximas are very similar in this respect. You need analog engine sensors, a speedo cable, an instrument module, a dash subharness, and analog fuel sending unit. There is an instruction on Z31.com website in the modifications section. It is the same procedure.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:27 PM

Hey Dr. Disc:
I searched the modifications section and I couldn't find the article
you spoke of, where did you say it was again???
I bought the cable, gauge cluster, subharness, fuel sending unit/pump assembly for $80.00 earlier today, but I need to know about those engine sensors.
Thanx

Do a search on the site. I forget just where I saw it, but it is there. Use "digital to analog dash conversion". Or ask on the site message board. But you're most of the way there, now. Oil pressure sender, cylinder head temp sensor (not CHTS). I think that is it.