1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

87 Maxima with adjustable struts are worn, what's the cheapest solution?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:15 PM
NWP Engineering.com

87 Maxima with adjustable struts are worn, what's the cheapest solution?

My friend has an 87 GXE with adjustable struts. He said they are blown or worn pretty badly.

What is the cheapest/best way to replace the struts and springs? Would it be to completely get rid of the electronic components? Or would it be to buy new OEM parts?

Aftermarket is usually cheaper than OEM, but in this case, it's adjustable... so what is the best solution?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:32 PM
I love lamp.

Re: 87 Maxima with adjustable struts are worn, what's the cheapest solution?

I dunno what the price is for the OEM struts, but they are pretty expensive. Best way is to convert them to standard struts. There will be a little bit of conversion involved, but it's been done. The best way to go is pick up some KYB struts. As for the rest of the electronics, all you need to do is disconnect the control unit, which can be found in the trunk under the rear deck. As for the springs, you should go either OEM, or if he can put some lowering springs in. Hope this helps.

S
Old 03-25-2003, 11:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: 87 Maxima with adjustable struts are worn, what's the cheapest solution?

Yeah, he said that the standard struts involve cutting and tons of work. Well, it's either pay out the a-hole for OEM struts or go aftermarket. Is there a write-up on how to install standard struts? I think I saw something in the FAQs about a Tokico install. What else is out there?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:39 PM
Charles Bisel

Aftermarket is probably the best way to go. I've heard that the OEM electronically adjustable struts have come down in price, but they are probably still more expensive than the aftermarket ones. I'd double check with the Nissan dealership first though, because if he can get them for a reasonable price, they are better than any of the aftermarket solutions.

Now, as far as aftermarket goes, there's really only one choice for the 2nd gen Max, and that's the KYB GR2's. I've got them on my car and I'm very pleased with them, the car handles well, it has a nice firm ride (but not too harsh), and there's no bouncing or fading.

They are pretty reasonable in price too, if I remember correctly I paid around $350 for all four struts with installation. Your friend will certainly have to pay a bit more though, since he's going to have to get the electronic-standard conversion.

There are other struts out there like Gabriels and Monros, but I'd tell him to steer clear of them unless he wants his car to ride like a boat and handle like shît. And in most cases he won't save any money, or worse, end up paying more. Midas wanted over $450 to install a crappy set of struts on my car. I went to a local garage to get the KYB's and had them install them.

In any case, you better tell him to get the struts changed as soon as possible. I nearly lost control of my car a few times when my struts went bad. Just by slaming on the brakes at a reasonable highway speed, my car started fishtailing out of control. Not to mention that I probably caused some premature wear to my axles and ball joints because I just had to have them replaced as well.

Now, as far as springs are concerned, he can choose between Eibach, Suspension Techniques (ST), and Intrax. Intrax has the greatest drop amongst them. Eibach has the least, but I'm sure they're probably the best springs for this car. The only place that I know of that still has them is Stillen, and I think they cost somewhere between $200-250. However, if he does lower the car, it could cause premature wear on the struts, so if money is an issue, I'd just get struts and keep the stock springs. The stock springs should last a good 400K miles without any trouble, assuming he keeps a good set of struts on the car.

-C-

Old 03-25-2003, 11:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

WOW! Thanks Charles and Maximase86 for all your time. You two have completely answered all my questions. I am now smarter about 2nd gens. Thanks a lot.