1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Buying an '85 Maxima soon, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 04:48 PM

Buying an '85 Maxima soon, need help!

I found a 1985 Nissan Maxima with 270,000k (new clutch, transmission, 120,000k on a new engine) priced at $500 barely a block from my house, for sale by the original owner. The price is low, so I'm not going to bother taking it to my mechanic and spending $50 for an inspection, but one thing worried me: In sharp cornering the rear would make a humming noise (think "nnnnnnn"), as if something were rubbing. The seller said it was the rotors, but the problem didn't arise during breaking or light turning. So what could be wrong? How much might it cost to fix, if it's even a critical issue? The suspension components have never been replaced.

Other quirks: A bit mushy at accelerating from a roll (versus my old '83 SAAB 900 Turbo, which had a beautiful punch to it); the pedals are cramped, which makes it somewhat difficult to depress the clutch fully; the suspension doesn't exactly exhude confidence, though body roll is low.

I need transportation, even if it's not too great, but does this look like a decent buy? Could the humming from the rear become a more serious issue? Thanks!

PS. This may be a super-n00b question, but what are the major differences between the '85 and 86-88? Why does the performance parts list say only that items for the latter may work for the former?
Old 03-29-2003, 05:24 PM
Charles Bisel

Well, since there isn't too much stuff in the back, there aren't too many things to consider. I'd check the brakes first, the caliper might be seizing and rubbing up against the rotor. If that's the case, you'll have to rebuild or replace the caliper, which isn't too expensive.

I'd also check the wheel bearings, as that could be the source of the humming noise. Wheel bearings aren't too expensive either, I paid about $40 to do my rear left wheel. Another thing that it could be would be the fuel pump, it may be on its last leg. I'm not sure how much it is to replace, but I don't think that it's cheap. I'd also check the suspension components, though I've never heard of them making a humming noise before.

I have no idea what the difference between the '85 and the rest of the 2nd gens are. As far as I know, the '85 and '86 are slightly different than the '87 and '88, though it's mostly cosmetic differences.

-C-

Old 03-29-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Well, since there isn't too much stuff in the back, there aren't too many things to consider. I'd check the brakes first, the caliper might be seizing and rubbing up against the rotor. If that's the case, you'll have to rebuild or replace the caliper, which isn't too expensive.

I'd also check the wheel bearings, as that could be the source of the humming noise. Wheel bearings aren't too expensive either, I paid about $40 to do my rear left wheel. Another thing that it could be would be the fuel pump, it may be on its last leg. I'm not sure how much it is to replace, but I don't think that it's cheap. I'd also check the suspension components, though I've never heard of them making a humming noise before.
Humming is the best word I have for the sound, and the best approximation I can give is a muted and not at all high-pitched "nnnnnnnn" that came out only under hard cornering (not during breaking). If it's either the rotors or the bearings, then I won't worry too much until it becomes persistent. In its last days, my Saab was a veritable shopping cart as far as suspension noises were concerned. The fuel pump is actually a VERY strong possibility! Not because it's failing, but simply because the gas tank was near empty!!! It might have started sucking air as the fuel sloshed to the side, which could explain the noise. What do you think?

I have no idea what the difference between the '85 and the rest of the 2nd gens are. As far as I know, the '85 and '86 are slightly different than the '87 and '88, though it's mostly cosmetic differences.

-C-
That's good to know. I think the car could use the rear sway-bar upgrade, among other things.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:16 PM

Hehehe!

Bring her up here and I'll turbo the sucker for ya!!! :-)
Old 03-31-2003, 09:34 AM

I'm probably going to buy it today, so bump for more opinions!
Old 03-31-2003, 12:52 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by electric!sheep
I'm probably going to buy it today, so bump for more opinions!
Well, the only difference from the 85's to the rest of the 2nd gens is one, they don't have a fuse for the fuel pump, so if you wanted to relieve the pressure in the fuel line, you have to remove the back seat, then disconnect the wiring harness for the pump. The other thing is since it was the first year of the generation, they had the least availble options....(the SE didn't have the front airdam option).

S
Old 04-16-2003, 05:51 PM

Good god. I got the car for $500, didn't take it to a mechanic beforehand, went in for a timing belt replacement and now have a $1200+ bill in repairs!

Work done:

- Rear bearings.
- Front axle boot.
- Distributor cap (original was cracked and corroded).
- Air filter (was filthy and in upside-down).
- Spark plugs.
- Cam seal (or cover?).
- Timing belt.
- Some valve or other.
- Rear breaks.

Oh well, I guess it all adds up to the approximate Blue Book value ($1,700) of an '85 in good running condition. Then again, the front left strut will need work at some point, as will the throw-out bearing. Yay.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:48 PM
I love lamp.

Geez dude...that's quite a bit of money...but will all that is done...that sounds pretty close to what it would cost to replace all that. Either way...now that you have that money in it, don't let go of it. I can say one thing though...270k maxima is very rare thing to have.

S

Originally posted by electric!sheep
Good god. I got the car for $500, didn't take it to a mechanic beforehand, went in for a timing belt replacement and now have a $1200+ bill in repairs!

Work done:

- Rear bearings.
- Front axle boot.
- Distributor cap (original was cracked and corroded).
- Air filter (was filthy and in upside-down).
- Spark plugs.
- Cam seal (or cover?).
- Timing belt.
- Some valve or other.
- Rear breaks.

Oh well, I guess it all adds up to the approximate Blue Book value ($1,700) of an '85 in good running condition. Then again, the front left strut will need work at some point, as will the throw-out bearing. Yay.