1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Q: Speedocable head gear (88 maxima M/T)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 10:46 PM

Q: Speedocable head gear (88 maxima M/T)

I just replaced the speedo cable in the belief that it was the fault at my speedometer not working, but I was wrong. I removed the speedo cable head from the top of the transmission but I couldn't see any damage on it nor on the plastic gear. (the gear didn't look chewed up or similar.)

Any idea what can be going on? The oil level is where it should be.

The symptom is, that my speedometer doesn't move at all in the morning but as the time goes by it starts moving but it shakes only at the 50% of the speed where it should be.

As a test I put the old speedocable in the back of the speedometer and span it around a few times, it picked up the speed right away, so the speedometer looks OK to me.

Do you guys know if you can purchase just the plastic gear for the speedometer cable head, or you have buy the whole head?

(I just am assuming that the matching gear in the transmission isn't made of plastic, so it could hardly wear out.)

Geza
Old 03-30-2003, 01:44 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Q: Speedocable head gear (88 maxima M/T)

Originally posted by Geza
I just replaced the speedo cable in the belief that it was the fault at my speedometer not working, but I was wrong. I removed the speedo cable head from the top of the transmission but I couldn't see any damage on it nor on the plastic gear. (the gear didn't look chewed up or similar.)

Any idea what can be going on? The oil level is where it should be.

The symptom is, that my speedometer doesn't move at all in the morning but as the time goes by it starts moving but it shakes only at the 50% of the speed where it should be.

As a test I put the old speedocable in the back of the speedometer and span it around a few times, it picked up the speed right away, so the speedometer looks OK to me.

Do you guys know if you can purchase just the plastic gear for the speedometer cable head, or you have buy the whole head?

(I just am assuming that the matching gear in the transmission isn't made of plastic, so it could hardly wear out.)

Geza
Well...quite honestly, you will probably have to replace the whole cable. Just incase there is some binding going on within the cable itself. Also, even though you feel the speedometer is working, it could be the problem. I would check the connection of the cable to the speedometer itself too, since that could be loose.

S