1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

87 Maxima - model difference

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

87 Maxima - model difference

I have an 87 Maxima. I did not get a manual or anything that might suggest what model I have. Is there any simple way to determine the model type?

1 other question.... In that this model has an AM/FM cassette system. The cassette plays but wont eject, nor turn off for that matter. Is there a lever or some kind of "port" /access or otherwise to eject a stubborn tape? Pressing the eject button does nothing.

help!
Old 04-14-2003, 11:36 AM

Re: 87 Maxima - model difference

Originally posted by Bociba
I have an 87 Maxima. I did not get a manual or anything that might suggest what model I have. Is there any simple way to determine the model type?

1 other question.... In that this model has an AM/FM cassette system. The cassette plays but wont eject, nor turn off for that matter. Is there a lever or some kind of "port" /access or otherwise to eject a stubborn tape? Pressing the eject button does nothing.

help!
As for the model, that's easy...do you have chrome trim around your head lights and windows? If so, you have a GXE...if not, an SE...

As for the original stereo, not sure. I've never seen them, as mine had an older model Clarion in it when I bought it.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:42 AM
I love lamp.

Re: 87 Maxima - model difference

help!
Browse through the 1st and 2nd Gen FAQ, there is a writeup in there telling you what is in there....keep in mind that its note completely up to date (I will talk to Qijuan whenever I get around to it). As for the tape deck, it sounds like the motorized eject is bad. You could try prying out the tape, but you may kill the deck.....god those decks...

The other day I was doing work on my stereo, reinstalling the rear speakers, but Sonystyle (David from yahoo groups....and nwmaxima) came over, he was playing his stereo, new speakers....same stock stereo, and it sounded like crap (then again...he probably had the polarities all wrong knowing him). I disconnect the sub on my car and cranked it up, and I still had kick *** sound that was full and had some bass too. You really need to consider replacing the stereo head unit in my mind. Now keep in mind, on my system, my door speakers are still stock.

S
Old 04-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its pretty much finished. Generally done I would really like to take a look at some more SEs and SE special Editions to see what else defines them as SEs and SE special editions.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by max88q
Its pretty much finished. Generally done I would really like to take a look at some more SEs and SE special Editions to see what else defines them as SEs and SE special editions.
I just got my 1988 Shiro on friday. So far the only info I can find that differentiates the SE's from the Specials is that the Specials were all white including the headlight trim, grille and wheels(mine's been painted dark silver), the Shiro Edition nameplate in front of the shifter and the Nubuck leather door fabric(also interior colour is coffee-like and the headrests on the seats are not hollowed out boxes as the SE's.)
Old 04-14-2003, 11:07 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by SmokinSpecV

I just got my 1988 Shiro on friday. So far the only info I can find that differentiates the SE's from the Specials is that the Specials were all white including the headlight trim, grille and wheels(mine's been painted dark silver), the Shiro Edition nameplate in front of the shifter and the Nubuck leather door fabric(also interior colour is coffee-like and the headrests on the seats are not hollowed out boxes as the SE's.)
I would really like to see a Shiro Edition up close. You should post some pics for us.

S
Old 04-15-2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by maximase86

I would really like to see a Shiro Edition up close. You should post some pics for us.

S
Let me clean it up a bit first, then I'll try and post some pics. Could be a month or two. Be patient.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:36 AM

I already have that info for the SE specials. Ive never seen one on the inside you know little small stuff that could be different in them.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:45 AM
I love lamp.

I already have that info for the SE specials. Ive never seen one on the inside you know little small stuff that could be different in them.
I notice that the what you have posted Q, it seems to apply only mostly 87-88 applications. For instance, in 86, all SE's got the front lip spoiler stock, but fog lights were not standard on 85-86. They were only an option. etc. When I have time, I will go through I check this all out and get back to you.

S
Old 04-15-2003, 08:33 AM

Thatd be awesome I was wondering about that info because I know little about the 85-86 options. I do like that Injector cooler you all have.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:16 AM
I love lamp.

Thatd be awesome I was wondering about that info because I know little about the 85-86 options. I do like that Injector cooler you all have.
Well, if I'm not too busy with other things, I will try typing it up later this week. I know where to get a few online brocures of our cars....in fact I believe Charles posted it on yahoo groups....the guy that compiled a big *** list of aftermarket parts for our cars.

S
Old 04-15-2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

Browse through the 1st and 2nd Gen FAQ, there is a writeup in there telling you what is in there....

S
This is the link in 1st and 2nd gen FAQs to the "official 2nd gen site":

http://secondgenmax.sifen7.com/literature.html

There is scanned files of all 4 years of brochures, maybe that will help.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:31 PM

I wonder where he got all those brochures from itd be nice to have some of the originals. Just to even read and see those itd be awesome.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Charles Bisel

I have the brochure for the 1988 model. It really is awesome, it's very large, has lots of detailed information, and nice color photos. It's cool to see how are cars looked when they were brand spanking new.

Anyway, I got mine off of Ebay for $5 about a year ago. That's probably your best bet if you want one.

-C-

Old 04-16-2003, 06:51 AM

Im always kinda iffy about doing transactions with Ebay. Thinkin I might get stiffed or somethin. Maybe one day. Ill also be lookin around. I remember seeing alot of those brochures there about a year ago. Maybe there will be some more.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:13 AM

One place that I know that sells brochures is autolit.com. There are a few more places that I've been to but can't think of right now. BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about buying stuff off of eBay. I've bought over 150 things so far without a problem. Just use some commonsense when considering whether or not you want to bid on something. Check the feedback and look at the how detailed the description of the item you want to buy is.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is the link in 1st and 2nd gen FAQs to the "official 2nd gen site":

http://secondgenmax.sifen7.com/literature.html

There is scanned files of all 4 years of brochures, maybe that will help.
Those brochures are really nice. Thanks for the reply and the post. Appreciate your time on this. With the help I am getting i'll be able to figure this car out yet!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:54 AM
I love lamp.

Those brochures are really nice. Thanks for the reply and the post. Appreciate your time on this. With the help I am getting i'll be able to figure this car out yet!
Too bad they aren't in color...that would of been really nice.

S