1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Replacing waterpump myself any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replacing waterpump myself any advice?

my water pump has been leaking and getting worse as i drive it more, being a broke college student and having access to a shop with tools i decided to replace it myself. I bought a chiltons manual but it seems like it could be more helpful.

ive searched through past posts and is sounds like i should replace my thermostat, crank oil seals, drive belts, and my timing belt and tensioner. i might also want to replace my valve cover gaskets. i tore into my car yesterday and realized how involved this job is going to be.

i guess im wondering if anybody that has done this work has any words of wisdom that would make this work go easier.

ive got an 87 gxe with 173,000 miles and after the injector recall, mew mafs, alternator and battery, it runs like new -id like to keep my $500 max runnin as long as possible!! any help would be much appreciated!
Old 05-04-2003, 02:25 PM

Re: Replacing waterpump myself any advice?

mik3y4m,

If you're going to replace the waterpump you might as well replace the timing belt and tensioner. I've replace my timing belt once already. My advice to you is make sure you take your time in removing
everything. Especially the crankshaft pully. You can easily mess up the front mainseal if you don't put the pully back correctly. Good luck!!

Mike

Originally posted by mik3y4m
my water pump has been leaking and getting worse as i drive it more, being a broke college student and having access to a shop with tools i decided to replace it myself. I bought a chiltons manual but it seems like it could be more helpful.

ive searched through past posts and is sounds like i should replace my thermostat, crank oil seals, drive belts, and my timing belt and tensioner. i might also want to replace my valve cover gaskets. i tore into my car yesterday and realized how involved this job is going to be.

i guess im wondering if anybody that has done this work has any words of wisdom that would make this work go easier.

ive got an 87 gxe with 173,000 miles and after the injector recall, mew mafs, alternator and battery, it runs like new -id like to keep my $500 max runnin as long as possible!! any help would be much appreciated!
Old 05-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had my water pump replaced with timing belt about 2 years ago for 200. The shop didnt replace the tensioner and well as I was driving to a junk yard to get some parts with a friend. Go figure eh!? Anyway, the tensioner shattered and disentegrated into pieces. 1550 dollars and about a month later I have brand new heads on my car Still payin on that loan. Its pretty tight fit in there once you start getting the timing belt cover off and things over there it starts to opens up. Id say go ahead youve got the Haynes/Chiltons. If possible get ahold of the Factory Service manual. It works great too.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the response guys

I bought more parts today and tore into my car some more after work. ive got the upper timing belt cover off but now im im trying to figure out how to safely pull the crankshaft pully.

i just need to make sure that i take my time and dont get rushed or over confident - my roomate and a friend recently replaced the timing chain in friends vr6 jetta, then his. too bad he forgot to torque the tensioner on his jetta......amazingly he found a stock head, ported and polished and with slightly larger valves, for $300. the guy who sold it did all the work to it, then found an aftermarket head at a good price so he sold his other one. somehow he always seems to find killer deals. he actually used to have a 3rd gen max w/bmw headlights. he went as block on maxima.org heres a link to his max web page http://www.amesweb.com/blake/mymax.html

ill let you guys know how my project ends up or if i have n e more questions.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:16 AM

The best trick I have found for taking off the crank pulley is to put socket with an extension and ratchet on the pulley bolt. Then let the handle hit the floor. Bump the starter Or have someone do it. The motor will spin the bolt right off. I would recommend taking the coil wire off. Seems last time I did it the wife let the car start =). The only other way is put it in gear (park if you have a auto) and crank the crap out of it. If a manual have someone stand on the brakes. This can work but a lot harder.

As far as the tensioner goes If it spins free then it's still good. I put a new timing belt on my '87 then put 60,000 miles on in. No problem. When I did the pathy it kept the original tensioner too. just make sure to tension it properly. Too much tension and you'll wear it out prematurely. Oh while you have it appart check the rear head and see if the camshaft seal needs replacing. Seems common. I didn't replace mine when it was apart and wished I had. Also I would get a NIssan water pump. I put on one from auto zone and that thing only last a year or 2. It is a big job to one on so it is worth the extra $ to get a part that will last.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah you could leave the tensioner on, but the book Haynes/FSM advices to also change them too. I found this out after my new Heads Yes I do agree that with parts its better to spend the extra money. Instead of trying to save. Because sometimes saving wont save ya Later. I remember when I was doing a mild tune up you know replacing the air filter, and some other stuff PCV valve. I was having some problems with my car like hesitating when accelerating. not surges but like it would have like a miss not from spark plugs though at the beginning of accelerating. Anyway I was changing the PCV valve got one from autozone. Yeah it looked cheap too,lol. Anyway I still had after replacing everything a slight hint of it. So I went to Advanced Auto Parts Bought a different PCV valve looked of better Quality alot better. Put it in. What hesitation, lol. The slight hint was gone. I was also told after buying that part from an Advanced Auto Parts rep. That they buy very good parts but in bulk so its cheaper for them where as Autozone just get you cheap parts. To tell you the truth, they are kinda right. Go to Autozone and then if you have one go to Advanced Auto Parts. They have better Quality parts.

After awhile of typing this it felt kinda pointless so just see it as my .02 cents