1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

2nd gen injector plug mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 03:04 PM

2nd gen injector plug mismatch

I'm in the process of installing an 88 motor in my 87 Max. The fuel injector connectors on the existing wiring harness do not match the injectors that are on the 88 engine. The injectors and plugs from the 87 have the alignment spline in the center of the rectangular plugs, where the 88's are slightly off center. Luckily I have the harness from the 88 motor and am leaning towards splicing the injector harnesses from the 88 harness onto the 87 harness. The alternative would be to put the injectors from the 87 motor into the 88, but that sounds like a lot more work.

Both harnesses have splices in them already where each banks plugs branch off the main harness. Is there a difference between the two types of injectors? What about the service bulletin on the injectors? Both engines have a yellow band where the hoses connect to the injectors. Anyone run into this before? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:19 PM

C'mon, doesn't anybody know anything about this?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:00 PM
I love lamp.

lol, not really. :P I've never had to do any work with my fuel injectors.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:38 AM

Re: 2nd gen injector plug mismatch

Originally posted by pkfinn
I'm in the process of installing an 88 motor in my 87 Max. The fuel injector connectors on the existing wiring harness do not match the injectors that are on the 88 engine. The injectors and plugs from the 87 have the alignment spline in the center of the rectangular plugs, where the 88's are slightly off center. Luckily I have the harness from the 88 motor and am leaning towards splicing the injector harnesses from the 88 harness onto the 87 harness. The alternative would be to put the injectors from the 87 motor into the 88, but that sounds like a lot more work.

Both harnesses have splices in them already where each banks plugs branch off the main harness. Is there a difference between the two types of injectors? What about the service bulletin on the injectors? Both engines have a yellow band where the hoses connect to the injectors. Anyone run into this before? Thanks for the help.
Well, I've never had to work on the injectors, but my best guess would be either a difference in the kit used perform the injector recall, or one engine's had the recall, and the other hasn't.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:43 AM

Re: 2nd gen injector plug mismatch

Well, I've never had to work on the injectors, but my best guess would be either a difference in the kit used perform the injector recall, or one engine's had the recall, and the other hasn't.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:51 PM

Here's what I've found out about the harness mismatch and the fuel injector service bulletin:

1. The injector sub-harnesses get replaced as part of the recall for the injectors. You can tell if the recall has been done by looking for 2 colored bands of tape on each injector subharness. They should be on the wires going to the no. 1 and 2 cylinders (the end cylinders on the passenger side). The tape color is gray for 85-87 years and blue for 88's.

2. The injectors for 85 and 86 are the same, 87's have a different injector, and 88's have injectors that are different from the 85-87's. The sub-harness P/N's are the same for the 85-87's, but as I discovered, the 88 plugs and injectors are unique to that year.

3. The injectors for the 88's measure about 14 ohms each, while the 87's are only about 2.5 ohms. I'm not sure what the ones from an 85 or 86 would measure, but since the harnesses are the same, I would assume the injectors would probably measure the same resistance, although I guess the fuel flow rates may be different. I assume this is why the plugs are different on the 88 - to prevent you from installing the wrong injector.

4. The ECU's are different for almost every year/engine/transmission combination. There is a chart in the recall listing P/N's for all of them.

So, in my case, I decided to swap the whole injector assembly including fuel rails, pressure regulator, and return lines from the old 87 engine onto my newly installed 88 motor. This way I didn't have to disturb any of the fuel hose connections on the engine. In the text of the recall, it mentions lubricating the inside of all the hose with a special oil that activates an adhesive that is inside the hose ends. I guess that's why the fuel hoses seem to be practically welded to the lines. I just swapped the whole assembly. The only hard part was removing and reinstalling the two bolts that hold the FPR onto the end of the manifold. The timing cover and vacuum line elbow is right in the way!

By the way, most of this info came from the Nissan recall notices that I was able to read on the Chilton's online manual that there is a link to in the stickies. It's a good resource. Hope this info is interesting and informative to someone besides myself.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:40 AM

Here's what I've found out about the harness mismatch and the fuel injector service bulletin:

1. The injector sub-harnesses get replaced as part of the recall for the injectors. You can tell if the recall has been done by looking for 2 colored bands of tape on each injector subharness. They should be on the wires going to the no. 1 and 2 cylinders (the end cylinders on the passenger side). The tape color is gray for 85-87 years and blue for 88's.

2. The injectors for 85 and 86 are the same, 87's have a different injector, and 88's have injectors that are different from the 85-87's. The sub-harness P/N's are the same for the 85-87's, but as I discovered, the 88 plugs and injectors are unique to that year.

3. The injectors for the 88's measure about 14 ohms each, while the 87's are only about 2.5 ohms. I'm not sure what the ones from an 85 or 86 would measure, but since the harnesses are the same, I would assume the injectors would probably measure the same resistance, although I guess the fuel flow rates may be different. I assume this is why the plugs are different on the 88 - to prevent you from installing the wrong injector.

4. The ECU's are different for almost every year/engine/transmission combination. There is a chart in the recall listing P/N's for all of them.

So, in my case, I decided to swap the whole injector assembly including fuel rails, pressure regulator, and return lines from the old 87 engine onto my newly installed 88 motor. This way I didn't have to disturb any of the fuel hose connections on the engine. In the text of the recall, it mentions lubricating the inside of all the hose with a special oil that activates an adhesive that is inside the hose ends. I guess that's why the fuel hoses seem to be practically welded to the lines. I just swapped the whole assembly. The only hard part was removing and reinstalling the two bolts that hold the FPR onto the end of the manifold. The timing cover and vacuum line elbow is right in the way!

By the way, most of this info came from the Nissan recall notices that I was able to read on the Chilton's online manual that there is a link to in the stickies. It's a good resource. Hope this info is interesting and informative to someone besides myself.
Just curious as to how your engine swap turned out...

Thanks!
Scott
Old 08-06-2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by 86Wagon

Just curious as to how your engine swap turned out...

Thanks!
Scott
It's funny you should ask, I just got the car registered and tagged today. It's running really good. I inadvertently forgot to connect the large vacuum hose that supplies air to the secondary air system (air regulator, F.I.C.D. and idle speed adjustment), so it ran terrible. I checked every sensor, wire, solenoid, etc. trying to figure out why it wasn't running right, and found several that were not working properly. After I got all the minor things repaired, I noticed the vacuum hose detached under the A.I.V./EGR solenoid assy. near the master cylinder. When I hooked it up, it ran great. It's back on the road again, running better than ever (at least since I've owned it).

I just got back from the dealer, where I got a new bushing for the shifter. It has the common problem of not going into drive unless you pull it into 2nd then back to drive. The bushing at the transmission is new, so hopefully, the one at the shifter is worn or missing, and a new one will fix it.