1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Anyone driven/ have both 1st and 2nd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004 | 08:37 AM

Anyone driven/ have both 1st and 2nd gen?

I want a maxima project car, I would use mine but I am still paying on it and I don't think the lender would be happy with what I am planning on. I have a few questions and after looking threw the whole 2 pages and the stickies I was unable to find an answer(s).

I can't find too many 1st gen maxima pictures which would really help me to decide, anyone want to link me to their site? Preferably one with a body kit of some sort, that is, if they are even availble (I didn't look through all the "mod" sites in the sticky).

What are the handling differences of the 1st and 2nd generation maxs? Are they even comparable and how much of a factor is the RWD vrs FWD.

My project will end up RWD in the end so a 1st gen would be nice to have. (Though, if they look much like the picture in the manual I got for studying, I don't want one as they are fugly x2) Another positive for the 1st gen would be using the L24e head. On the other hand if the 2nd gen will woop the pants off the 1st gen then there won't be any contest as to which I will buy (I think I like the looks a lot better). If they both are slow in the corners, power aside, then I might just save up for a 3rd generation or scrap the idea in whole. I have never driven a 1st or 2nd gen but if you have deriven, a 4th gen, 78 Z, or 80 200sx, then please compare them as I own those 3 cars. Or maybe, no one knows and I have to find an old max for sale and pretend I want to buy it just for the test drive. lol Thanks a bunch

dan
Old 03-30-2004 | 10:10 AM

Dan,
The 1st gen will handle very closely to the 78 Z, and most, if not all, of the chassis is derived straight from this particular car.
The 2nd gen will handle differently in stock form, simply due to the hadling differences inherent in the FWD configuration.
From the test drives I've done, and bone stock 2nd gen handles the same as the stock 3rd gen Max's I've driven. Their chassis' are virtually the same, with only minor changes / revisions.
I have not driven a 1st gen Max, but I have an '80 Z, and it's handling characteristics more a little better than most RWD sports cars of the day...in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2004 | 05:19 PM

well check out my second gen..alot of people like it..and alot of people dont like it..It all depends on what your taste is. I driven a first gen and well the 1st is slower i can tell you. PLus parts are not easy to find. Now id you want a project car that will arew up to the challenge...then do a second gen with a vg30et engine. then again..I wonder what engined can fit the 1st gen since its rwd. Ive seen a pinto with a turbo thunderbird engine. (magazine)
if you got the time , patience and money i say any car can be a poroject car. Ohh I also sawa turbo tercel with a talon (eclipse) engine...they are almost the same.
Old 03-30-2004 | 07:00 PM

Well crap, after looking at a bunch of pic sites I don't think I will go with a 1st gen. uhg, I really wanted the L24E though, oh well.

MaxWgn - From the haynes manual I have "Datsun 810/Maxima 77-81" the only thing that is similar is the front end. The crossmember and I arm set up is relatively close to my 78. However the back end looks identicle to a Z31. Again, this is only according to the dumb haynes manual.

hg - Do you have a link to your second gen? I am confused on "well check out my second gen..". Slower does not bother me, I am putting a different motor in it. (However, all my Nissans will retain a Nissan motor.) Problem is, I do not have money, only time and tools.

I am going to hack the body in half and put in a different suspinsion so maybe handling is not such a big concern as I first thought. Now predicated on MaxWgn's post I will have to decide between a 2nd and 3rd gen. I suppose it will come down to which car I can find real cheap. Thanks for the help, any other suggestions?
dan
Old 03-30-2004 | 08:31 PM

I always found the body styles of 1st and 2nd gen's to be quite similar, and I have had a first gen as well. 82 wagon with automatic. As for handling, it wasn't bad, but the wagon has a solid axle on leafs. Probably the same as a truck. And it wasn't exactly much slower than my 2nd gen, and I miss being able to do awesome brake stands with it and getting it sideways.

Engine swap-wise, the 1st gen is the easiest. A 280zx turbo swap is a no-brainer. Very few modifications if any at all. If I remember correctly, only the oilpans are different. Doing the vg30et swap in a 2nd gen is a lot more work, but very do-able nonetheless.
Old 03-30-2004 | 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have not ridden in a 2nd gen for 6 years, but I have a 1st gen now. With the swaybars, the thing is awesome for autocrossing and handles quite well. With the engine so far forward, it is lots easier to take a tight turn with a little power oversteer, because without powering it though, it plows. Putting a decent set of rims that fill out the fenders make a huge difference, and sliding the bumpers in give it tighter lines (i've only done the rear one so far). I can take any pictures of my 1st gen for you if you'd like and email them or post them. If you can find a 5-speed 1st gen, I think they are an absolute blast.

-Chris
Old 03-31-2004 | 03:43 AM

Thats odd, I posted the link to my pics...send me a pricate message. You can also find it on car domaun under nissan, then maxima, then year 87. Its titled either 87nissan maxima Body kit or Hectors Maxima. (kinda forgot) Its a max thats primed black with a white froont spoiler and a full kit. You can also see the other members rides, they are sweet. Still send me a message so i can send u the link.

-Hector
Old 03-31-2004 | 07:51 AM
deacon frost

a) - unless you are leasing the car, no one could careless what the hell you do with it, its your car. besides, i doubt your max is all that flashy and that they are going to be concerned about its resale value. you default on it, and they're going to repo it and send it to the salvage yard.

b) - why in god's name would you pick an old first or second gen to mod out. they're old, boxy, ugly cars, that are about as much a maxima as the cimarron was a cadillac.

save your money and get a fourth or fifth gen to mod out. you will have a much better looking and faster car. you fix up an old 80s maxima and you just look like a poor poser.

as lee iacocca once said, why bother fixing up that old mustang when you can trade it in for a brand new one.
Old 03-31-2004 | 08:58 AM

WOW!
You must be really old!
The best part of aftermarket is that anything you can dream can be done.
It's not lack of cash, or time. It's lack of desire and imagination.
Just show some *****, and don't be afraid to try something new. If you fail you failed trying to do something cool,and if you succeed your the man!

Without that kind of attitude you wouldn't have 86 300zx running 8 second 1/4 miles!!

Don't be afraid to do something diferent!
Old 03-31-2004 | 01:58 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by deacon frost
a) - unless you are leasing the car, no one could careless what the hell you do with it, its your car. besides, i doubt your max is all that flashy and that they are going to be concerned about its resale value. you default on it, and they're going to repo it and send it to the salvage yard.

b) - why in god's name would you pick an old first or second gen to mod out. they're old, boxy, ugly cars, that are about as much a maxima as the cimarron was a cadillac.

save your money and get a fourth or fifth gen to mod out. you will have a much better looking and faster car. you fix up an old 80s maxima and you just look like a poor poser.

as lee iacocca once said, why bother fixing up that old mustang when you can trade it in for a brand new one.
I dunno man, I've gotten a lot of praise from my car for being as old, boxy and ugly as it is. That's even from newer gen owners, and other car owners. 1st and 2nd gen's aren't that bad of a car, especially if you find a well taken care of one. Really it's anyone perogative on what car they choose to have, and what they want to do with it. I'm pretty sure your happy with your 5th gen, a lot of us here are happy with are 1st and 2nd gens.

Also these cars are not that bad modded out, granted they aren't speedy straightline performers, but they have thier stong points. They definately will out handle the anything 4th gen or newer (1st gens having suspension based off the Z, 2nd gens having the full independant suspension all the way around like a 3rd gen). Even though they are old, how are they any less a maxima than a new one?

S
Old 04-01-2004 | 08:16 AM

[QUOTE=deacon frost]a)

QUOTE]

Why in god's name would you post in the 1st/2nd gen forum then? I find that statement somewhat offensive. Any Maxima, any year, is as much a Maxima as the next. It has always been Nissan's flagship sedan. If our Maxima's were'nt popular and well made cars they would have have dropped the line and you wouldn't be enjoying your 4th,5th, and 6th gens. Just like Sarin, I get compliments all the time about how nice my car is. A lot of people can't beleive it's as old as it is and still looking good. Fixing up an old car is not a waste of time. It makes me smile to see an immaculate old Z, 510, or even a granny's old B210. There is pride in knowing that even Nissan's of that vintage are still running, and that I am driving a little bit of Nissan's history. We like and enjoy our cars, so if you want to bash our generation of Maxima's, the ones that gave way to your very own pride and joy, please go somewhere else to do it.
Old 04-01-2004 | 08:36 AM

Totally agree with wylie c and maximase86. These cars rock. My second gen has a sorta euro handling feel to it: smooth motor, firm suspension, and comfy enough for 6 hour roadtrips.

And I happen to like the way my silver stock 87 looks. No matter how much i drive it, i still find my self taking a second look back at it after i park it.

And besides, how many FWD sedans come with red valve covers? :-P
Old 04-01-2004 | 04:52 PM

hmm my car domain id is hector87maxima ..couldnt post the link, anywho. WEll I agree with sarin..why get offended? :/ Im not trying to hate but I like second gen over 1rst, and of course 4th over 2nd. But they are all good cars. I guess the choice is really on wich car can be modded the most and provide the best gains. That 4th gen sarin showed me is the bomb!! And that is a pretty nice project car alot of horsies in there. The tubo second gen is a really good one also. Just be creative when moding and walla..project car.

-Hector
Old 04-01-2004 | 08:38 PM
I love lamp.

Yes, thy project 4th gen does have a lot of horsies to play with! Hopefully my friend will let me buy it in a year....depends how bad he want a G35 Coupe. I should make him watch the movies in the boosted section of the one with a twin turbo kit!

S
Old 04-03-2004 | 07:24 AM

So you do not think that my lender would care if I say, torched the car in half? The lender is not concerned with resale value? If that is true why do they demand you have comprehensive insurance?

I chose a first or second generation max because they are cheaper, one has the engine I want to mod, and because for what I am looking to do, a boxier body would make things esier. Now I may go with a 3rd generation, it all depends.

Why would I want to mod an older car?
- When my hacked body max comes and grasses your 2001 max I will get all the satisfaction I need.
- I can take an old car and put everything I want in it that it doesn't have.
- I think that getting GROSSED on a new or newer car and making payments for the next 5 years is a waste. (I am doing this with my 97.)

Or how about this, I do not need a new car to assuage my ego like some do! Sure it is nice to have cool and new stuff, but what does it get you in the end?

I like taking something and making it into an original piece and of my personal taste. Learning from that experience is even better then having it in the end. You will understand this if you ever take something that someone does not value and make it into something that makes them stop and think twice about.

When I get far enough in my project, which requires me to start it first, to ensure I am the first around to do what I am going to do, I will post pics. Then again, maybe I am crazy and stupid and it will not work. Either way, God bless

dan
Old 04-03-2004 | 01:37 PM
I love lamp.

Here here to that Dan! If I had a beer, I'd toast and drink to that!

S