1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Keyless Entry

I have a 1988 Nissan Maxima that has around 150,000 miles and is in excellent condition. The only problem is that about 2 weeks ago, my keyless entry stopped working. I had just washed the car and thought that maybe some water got into my keypads. I've washed my car hundreds of times since I've owned it and never had a problem. I hoped that it if water had gotten into the keypads that it would eventually dry out and work again. Now, the #2 button locks the car and the rest of the buttons are "dead." I can't even get them to beep. Before, the #2 button was used to open the trunk not to lock the doors. It's like the buttons got switched somehow. Does anyone know how to reset the system? I have the master code and have reprogrammed my password several times in the past. I know how to do that, but I can't get the system to take my command from the keypad. I've disconnected the battery hoping it would reset but the keypad still doesn't work. I don't want to pay the dealer 2 hours of labor just to "look" at the car. Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be a relay or switch that I am not aware of? I have a copy of the Haynes manual, but it doesn't really go into any detail about the security system. Help. I really love my car. I've had it since 1993, and it's been really good to me. My husband has a 1998 Passat that is a real piece of s**t. Just goes to show you that age isn't everything. Nissan really built a good car here. Hope to keep my car for many more years to come. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Blown

I dont have keyless entry on my 87 but I am guessing there is some sort of fuse in the car for it...I would check there first
Old 08-23-2004, 01:04 PM
I love lamp.

Interesting, have you tried popping the fuse or harness for the keyless entry? Does the otherside still work, or does this seem to happen regardless of side?

S
Old 08-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximase86
Interesting, have you tried popping the fuse or harness for the keyless entry? Does the otherside still work, or does this seem to happen regardless of side?

S
There isn't a fuse for the keyless entry that I am aware of. It's not located with the other fuses. Yes, it affects both sides. Very bizarre situation. It's like the computer in the car needs to be reset. I've heard of ECU codes but not sure how that works. I'm probably would have to go to the dealer to have them diagnose what the codes mean.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by PLOMARI
There isn't a fuse for the keyless entry that I am aware of. It's not located with the other fuses. Yes, it affects both sides. Very bizarre situation. It's like the computer in the car needs to be reset. I've heard of ECU codes but not sure how that works. I'm probably would have to go to the dealer to have them diagnose what the codes mean.
Hi,

check to see if the keyless entry is working,

the keyless entry is in the back trunk by the speakers,
Old 08-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I love lamp.

The ECU isn't tied into this system though. It's strictly for engine management. I would try disconnecting the control box for a little while, and then reconnect it. If that doesn't work, I wonder if the control unit went bad.

S
Old 08-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OK, on majority of the 2nd gen owners I have talked with that have the Keyless entry say that the only thing that works is the lock button on both sides. Which, is the same for my car. It only locks the doors. The lady I bought the car from kept all papers on it. It cost her $800 bucks to fix the keyless entry and this was in the mid 90's. Goodluck trying to fix it.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximase86
The ECU isn't tied into this system though. It's strictly for engine management. I would try disconnecting the control box for a little while, and then reconnect it. If that doesn't work, I wonder if the control unit went bad.

S
We disconnected the battery and the control box in the trunk. Unfortunately, it didn't do the trick. The only consistency is that the #2 button still locks the doors. No other buttons work. By the way, the #2 was for opening the trunk before this all happened. It's like the system is working but not the way it is supposed to.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
Hi,

check to see if the keyless entry is working,

the keyless entry is in the back trunk by the speakers,
How do you know if it is working? I know where the box is located, but how can you tell if everything is ok??
Old 08-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max88q
OK, on majority of the 2nd gen owners I have talked with that have the Keyless entry say that the only thing that works is the lock button on both sides. Which, is the same for my car. It only locks the doors. The lady I bought the car from kept all papers on it. It cost her $800 bucks to fix the keyless entry and this was in the mid 90's. Goodluck trying to fix it.
Thanks. Which one of your buttons locks the doors? Is it the button that is supposed to lock the doors (#5) or another button that used to perform a different function before. For example, my button #2 used to open the trunk. Now, it locks the doors. Somehow the function has changed. None of the other buttons work though. I bought the car in 1993, and I just started having problems with the keyless only 2 weeks ago. It's a real bummer! I loved the convenience before.