1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

what bolts into 84 maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:46 PM

what bolts into 84 maxima?

i just picked one up for 150cdn$ It's an automatic. Only major thing wrong is bent suspension arm in back to to ditch incident. will suspension arm from 280z 200sx, 300z or anything else fit? Are suspensions interchangeable with anything else? also what drivetrains are direct bolt ins if any? any info greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 06:30 PM

Why not try a replacement from an 84?

You can find some online at: www.car-part.com at a decent price.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:29 AM

I have parts from both the 280ZX and 910 Maxima (I presume you have the 910 RWD Maxima), but I have not looked to see if the suspension arms from the ZX would work. I will look and see. I know why you are asking, as it easier to find ZX parts.

As you know, the L24E in the late 910 has small rods and small crank rod journals (and also small piston pins too! Why Nissan? Why?)
However, you can transplant the earlier 810 L24E into the Maxima with no problems (bolts in with no mods that I know of). The crank/rods of any 240Z/810 engine will fit in the late L24E block (as the mains of the crank are the same). You then get the larger rods and better crank. You could also take the L26 crank, rods, and pistons and put them in your 910's stock L24E block and make it into a L26E. I am looking at doing this for my second 910. I would use the intake manifold from the L28E, as it may help, and I would also say to get some headers and a nice exhaust system. There are bolt-on turbo kits that were made for the 280Z and 280ZX by BAE and others. Sometimes you can find them for sale on places like ebay and Z-car sites, but I would only turbo with the early larger rods and pistons.

The transmission will be fine for mild mods I would say, but there is one member that has a Z31 turbo automatic trans in his to take the power.
You can convert your car to 5-speed, but it is not a job for the faint of heart, as you will need to really know what you are doing.

Both of my cars came with factory 5-speeds (one has sunroof and one is hardtop; hardtop gets the L28ET)

Any differential that has CV-shafts probably could be made to fit the 910; like the units from the Z31 (I think that the differential from Z32 will also fit).

The following are not "bolt in" mods:
You can fit in any of the other L-series engines into the car. Also, the RB-series will fit, but that costs big bucks! The FJ20 and FJ20ET should also fit.

Several people here have the L28ET in their 910's (I will be doing this to my first 910). It is not a bolt in swap, as you have to make some changes to L28ET to make it fit the Maxima body (as you will also have to do if you use an Z-car engine).

I hope this gives you a few ideas.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:42 PM

that is awesome, thank you. That's exactly what i've been waiting for. I am only days new to the nissan/datsun game so any info is greatly appreciated. I am trying to find out everything about my car from wheel bolt pattern, to parts replacement and ease of modifying. I don't want to spend too much money on it but would like to autcross it for fun sometime. This will be a good learning experience for me. Keep any info coming, thanks again. oh yeah, it is a rwd, thanks again and i'll wait on your answer as to wether the suspension piece from maxima is same as other datsun's thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 03:52 PM

wheel bolt pattern is 4X114.3 with a 40mm off set...maximas are front wheel drive bro...Since your new to nissans you will find out that nuthing runs better than a nissan.200,000 miles is just breakin these bad boyz in...anyways goodluck with your maxima and welcome to the site =)
Old 01-08-2006, 11:11 PM

Dude i know i'm a baby but i think you might be a bit off on the drivetrain of the 1st gen max from 84. can somebody give us the 411. thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by lowandslow88
wheel bolt pattern is 4X114.3 with a 40mm off set...maximas are front wheel drive bro...Since your new to nissans you will find out that nuthing runs better than a nissan.200,000 miles is just breakin these bad boyz in...anyways goodluck with your maxima and welcome to the site =)
The 84 Maxima I have is a rear wheel drive.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:53 AM

Really?im just use to front wheel on my 88.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I love lamp.

1st gens are RWD.

S
Old 01-10-2006, 10:37 AM

This link will take you to a history of the maxima.
I had one of the 1977s 810 but it's been history since 85 or 86.
I still have a few parts from the 810, some of which I have used on
the 84 wagon, and some of which are in the basement.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/history.htm
Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 PM

do you have any rear suspensioin pieces at all? Sorry after reading your link it doesn't look like your pieces will work. I have i.r.s. in mine but will datsun 280z rear suspension arm work? thanks for your expertise
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 AM

Front wheel drive?

"84's are rear wheel drive!!!!!!!!! Earl
Old 01-11-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by E-CARP
"84's are rear wheel drive!!!!!!!!! Earl
Oh yeah..I realized that moron.Im use to 88's so shut up I did not know...moron
Old 01-11-2006, 10:44 PM
I love lamp.

Oh yeah..I realized that moron.Im use to 88's so shut up I did not know...moron
time.

S
Old 01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Man, I wish my Maxima was a RWD...it would make things so much fun..well I recently learned this so dont feel bad..I know 1st gens are RWD but they're also 2.4 right? how much HP is that supposed to come up with stock?

1981-84 2.4 liter RWD = hp and torque?
1985-88 3.0 liter FWD = hp and torque?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

NM I just answered my own question by clicking on that link. sorry
Old 01-14-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tommygunzit
that is awesome, thank you. That's exactly what i've been waiting for. I am only days new to the nissan/datsun game so any info is greatly appreciated. I am trying to find out everything about my car from wheel bolt pattern, to parts replacement and ease of modifying. I don't want to spend too much money on it but would like to autcross it for fun sometime. This will be a good learning experience for me. Keep any info coming, thanks again. oh yeah, it is a rwd, thanks again and i'll wait on your answer as to wether the suspension piece from maxima is same as other datsun's thanks
You have picked an interesting car to start into Datsun/Nissan with (your 84 should have both Datsun and Nissan badges). I like the Datsun name more. Can you imagine a Datsun 350Z?!
The 1st gen is one of those cars that you really have to "like" before you own it or mod it; it seems to have a small cult following, so you get kudos points for being dedicated enough to obtain it and to find your way here. I have several Z-cars and the two 910 Maxima, so feel free to ask me anything. You can also ask Cray54, as he autocross an L28ET converted 910 with full coil-overs and other good stuff.

Don't expect to be an autocross superstar; the 910 has a fair amount of "chassis flex" and will not ever handle 100% like a sports car. It will be more like a "sports sedan". Still, it should be fun.

If you are going to autocross it; get some Eibach springs made for the 280ZX. They will work on the 910 (unlike the Tokiko springs that DO NOT WORK) and some "bump steer spacers for the front). I would also look into replacing the suspension bushings with graphite impregnated urethane ones. Addco makes anti-sway bar kits for the front and rear of the 910 so that would be something to look at.

As for the arm; well, I should be able to give you somewhat of an answer soon when I have time to look at the 910 and the 280ZX (S130) parts I have.

Just don't be tempted by the dark side to do anything "ricey" to your Maxima or abuse it too much.

---------------------
I also have a 280ZX Turbo torque converter that I will have for sale soon (I need to find specs on it and the stock 910 one to see what the difference in them is, and if it would be a good mod for the 910).
Old 01-14-2006, 08:45 PM

L 2.8 1982 Maxima

You say there is a small cult following. Can you give some web sites ? THANKS (SEENOZ).
Originally Posted by Maximum Tune
You have picked an interesting car to start into Datsun/Nissan with (your 84 should have both Datsun and Nissan badges). I like the Datsun name more. Can you imagine a Datsun 350Z?!
The 1st gen is one of those cars that you really have to "like" before you own it or mod it; it seems to have a small cult following, so you get kudos points for being dedicated enough to obtain it and to find your way here. I have several Z-cars and the two 910 Maxima, so feel free to ask me anything. You can also ask Cray54, as he autocross an L28ET converted 910 with full coil-overs and other good stuff.

Don't expect to be an autocross superstar; the 910 has a fair amount of "chassis flex" and will not ever handle 100% like a sports car. It will be more like a "sports sedan". Still, it should be fun.

If you are going to autocross it; get some Eibach springs made for the 280ZX. They will work on the 910 (unlike the Tokiko springs that DO NOT WORK) and some "bump steer spacers for the front). I would also look into replacing the suspension bushings with graphite impregnated urethane ones. Addco makes anti-sway bar kits for the front and rear of the 910 so that would be something to look at.

As for the arm; well, I should be able to give you somewhat of an answer soon when I have time to look at the 910 and the 280ZX (S130) parts I have.

Just don't be tempted by the dark side to do anything "ricey" to your Maxima or abuse it too much.

---------------------
I also have a 280ZX Turbo torque converter that I will have for sale soon (I need to find specs on it and the stock 910 one to see what the difference in them is, and if it would be a good mod for the 910).
Old 01-15-2006, 12:39 PM

am i a ricer?

What would be ricing my car? I had some ideas floating around on what i'd do to it and money is always tight living with two kids a wife and on a single income. This car will be a second car and most likely my work car which will also be a potential project autocrosser. As far as mods i would appreciate if anyone would let me know i'm totally off on one plan. I was thinking an easy way to deal with fender rust is to cut off rust and add some kind of 4 x 4 fender flares. I might then possibly mold them into body or not. I would then add wider tires to extend out to edge of fenders with low profile tires. I might also add maybe a fiero gt spoiler on back. The suspension i might add some coilovers front and rear sway bars. I would also like to swap a 5spd tranny and 280z turbo into it. Or maybe turbo or super the current engine with only tranny swap. Can these be easily force fed? Maybe with a tbird supercharger? or dsm turbo? This of course would be bolted up with a header and exhaust with pretty much straight pipes preferably dual setup. Anyway, is this rice? also what is the cheapest possible route. What i would like is to do as much work as i can,due to shop rates, which means i prefer bolt in with little to no mods as i am not a mechanic. I only mess around a little. I've only changed like belt, water pumps, hoses, alts, starters etc. Never swapped or anything but think i could try it. thanks guys let me know what you think. Again i want as cheap as possible with as close to 200rwhp as i can get. It needs to be easy as well. Again thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions, not asking too much hey, lol
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 PM

I would do everything you said ecept the 4x4 fenders.In my opinion that would look kinda ghetto,But hey its your car so you should build it the way you want.There will always be haters but its your CAR...I think you should go for all of it.I would go rim wise 16" motegi mr7 cuz I loved mine...I also would sorta wait on turboing it just to make sure that its even worth it.Drive like it is for a while then see if its something you wanna do.I hope I helped somehow.Good luck on your project,You will love it...
Old 01-15-2006, 03:26 PM

Also I would do that 5 speed tranny swap.I wish I could do it but cant afford to right now...
Old 01-15-2006, 06:44 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

you guys and all of your mombo jumbo just do it the easy way and contact nismo for some motormounts and drop a rb30 with a rb26dett head manifold and turbos and have a straight 6 twin turbo fighter or you could give it some ugly paint and have a sleeper...

just my .02
Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
you guys and all of your mombo jumbo just do it the easy way and contact nismo for some motormounts and drop a rb30 with a rb26dett head manifold and turbos and have a straight 6 twin turbo fighter or you could give it some ugly paint and have a sleeper...

just my .02
I like that idea 2...
Old 01-15-2006, 11:37 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog

just my .02
Why don't YOU just do it if it's as easy as you say it is?

Honestly, if you are going to autocross a RBxxDETT is just a bad idea. If you want 200whp which is BTW a good medium for autox and I believe the L28ET would be a WAY better fit. Autox takes out a major portion of power out of the equation. Too much power...or having power come on later in the powerband tends to hurt you. You could boost the L24E with L28ET parts....but as far as I'm aware of, the internals are not up to the task.

Tommy: Some of the things you mention are not rice. From the sounds of it, you want a good autox car much like what cray54 has. The spoiler and 4x4 though....eh...

S
Old 01-16-2006, 12:56 AM

wow seems like a lot of the ideas would cost big $$$. looks like it'll be hard to do . why not just and get it over with. j/k. Have fun with your projects
Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 AM

this is where i had the idea for the modified and molded 4x4 flares. they don't look that badd do they?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:46 PM

What would be ricing my car? I had some ideas floating around on what i'd do to it and money is always tight living with two kids a wife and on a single income. This car will be a second car and most likely my work car which will also be a potential project autocrosser. As far as mods i would appreciate if anyone would let me know i'm totally off on one plan. I was thinking an easy way to deal with fender rust is to cut off rust and add some kind of 4 x 4 fender flares. I might then possibly mold them into body or not. I would then add wider tires to extend out to edge of fenders with low profile tires. I might also add maybe a fiero gt spoiler on back. The suspension i might add some coilovers front and rear sway bars. I would also like to swap a 5spd tranny and 280z turbo into it. Or maybe turbo or super the current engine with only tranny swap. Can these be easily force fed? Maybe with a tbird supercharger? or dsm turbo? This of course would be bolted up with a header and exhaust with pretty much straight pipes preferably dual setup. Anyway, is this rice? also what is the cheapest possible route. What i would like is to do as much work as i can,due to shop rates, which means i prefer bolt in with little to no mods as i am not a mechanic. I only mess around a little. I've only changed like belt, water pumps, hoses, alts, starters etc. Never swapped or anything but think i could try it. thanks guys let me know what you think. Again i want as cheap as possible with as close to 200rwhp as i can get. It needs to be easy as well. Again thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions, not asking too much hey, lol
-------------------------------
Not to be critical, but please don't leach bandwidth from other sites (your pics you posted). Please post a link. It costs them money every time the photos are pulled up at this site.

The photos are of the generation after our 910. It looks more like a later Maxima, but is RWD.

I would also recommend against the fender flares. They would not look correct on the car. I would repair the rust by cutting it out and then filling in with any number of aluminum body fillers. I would get a book, and if you can, find someone who is a pro with this and get some pointers.

I really don't know if a spoiler would look good. I don't really think so. I may mold myself a rear "BRE style" spoiler (like on the BRE 240Z). I would say wings are just not good on that body.

As far as the engine, see my post above. The L24E could be turbocharged and I would think your stock L24E may hold up for some time running the stock 280ZX Turbo boost level of 5.5psi, but for any more boost than stock you would need to use the early (pre 83/84 I think) L24E, or swap rods, crank, and pistons from a 240Z or 810. I would suggest that the pistons come from the 1973 240Z or the 810; they had a dish that would lower compression Vs. the 70-72 240Z L24 pistons that were flat tops and would give you much too high of a compression ratio. You could use one of the large chamber Z-car heads like the N42 or the P90 but you will need to notch the L24 block for valve clearance with the P90. I doubt you would have to notch with the 280Z N42. I would use the 280Z N42, it will give you a lower compression ratio and will cost less than the P90 to use with the L24. There is also the heads off the early L24E that may work, but I don't have details of this head (E88 I think). Anyway, you need a head that came from a fuel injection system.

There is also another option that is very bolt on. During the late 70's and into the 80's several places like BAE made turbo kits for Nissan cars with fuel injection. There are also some kits out there that are made by Japanese companies that can be found on places like ebay sometimes. The fuel injection turbo conversion kits use an adaptor to attach a turbo to the stock manifold and come with all the extra items you need. I don't know of the power rating for a system on an L24.

You will also want all the electronics from the 280ZX Turbo, the manifolds, L28ET injectors, down-pipe, a T3 flanged turbo, oil splitter and lines from the 280ZX Turbo, turbo oil pump, etc. It would not be that hard once you got those, and would be a little easier than putting in the L28ET.

You mentioned headers. Are you talking about turbo headers or normal headers? headers for the turbo are going to cost if I remember right, about US$500 used, but the stock manifolds are fine for any power that car will ever see without forged pistons and thousands more in other engine work. As far as normal NA headers, there are many places that offer headers for the Z-car, in both round and square exhaust ports, depending on the head you use. NA headers are not very costly for a good one.

Skip most of the DSM turbos you find in the junk yards, they are really small; a stock L28ET T3 turbo would be better for the L24E or L28ET. You can also turbo a normal L28E from the 280Z/280ZX if you can’t find a L28ET near you.

Yes, some people have supercharged the L-series. You can find resources on the web about that, but the turbo looks easier and more "off the shelf". If you do find someone to ask, just act like you have a Z-car, as they will start off by telling you that the Maxima did not come turbo/supercharged, or that it is V6 and FWD.

I would find someone who is really into these motors near you and get them to help you. I would, if you fly me there (no really, I would

RICE = A car or mostly parts on a car, particularly an import, that are meant to look fast but really do nothing for the car and/or parts that make a car look cheap. See also, Ricer Burner, or Ricer

Rice Burner = A car that has "go fast" looking parts that end up making the car look cheap. The term most likely originated with US domestic drivers referring to Japanese imports as being powered by burning rice as fuel. A Honda with a loud exhaust and a cold air intake and maybe some stickers and a wing would be a "rice burner".

Ricer = The person who drives a rice burner. See also "Honda stick shakers".

-------------------------

seenoz,

There is a site, this one (and some personal sites).
Old 01-25-2006, 03:57 PM

I forgot to address the auto to manual conversion. It is not bolt on. The firewall will need to be modified to have the clutch master and a new pedal set will need to be fitted. The transmission will bolt up to the engine, but you will need a flywheel (225mm or 240mm) and pilot bushing, plus the clutch (stock 240mm ZX turbo unit will hold 250 BHP is my understanding).

It is my understanding that the rear transmission cross-member location on the body of the car may need to be modified and also maybe a new cross-member made or a Z-car unit modified to fit.

There is a member here that has the auto from a Z31 300ZX Turbo fitted, so that could be an option.

As far as the power in concerned from a turbo L24E; I would think that 200 RWHP or about mid-250's BHP would be obtainable. I suspect that the stock 280ZX Turbo EFI system would be fine for this goal.

Also, I build motors and system for people, so if you need something let me know, or if you need to find a big-rod L24E or parts, let me know too.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:03 PM

5 speed conversion in a 1st Gen.

Go to your local pick your part and find a 1st gen with a stick shift. Get the pedal assembly and clutch line. The fire wall on the 1st gens have a place for the clutch master already there.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:02 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

this is where i had the idea for the modified and molded 4x4 flares. they don't look that badd do they?

thats too much U.S. nissan sentra for meeee
Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I checked the Nissan FAST cross reference, and found the semi-trailing arms are unique to the 1st gen Maxima... so your best bet is, in fact, to get a part off another Maxima.

There is a SLIGHT possibility that a 280ZX semi-trailing arm will fit, but odds are if it fits, some dimension will be wrong (ie, way too much camber, wheel would sit too far out, etc.). If you were to do that, you would most likely want to replace both sides, and may need to make your pickup points adjustable after seeing how they line up. I know the actual rear crossmember from a 280ZX will not fit.

-Chris

ps - I'm not sure a header set for a Z will fit the Maxima... I have not seen evidence either way yet, but I suspect the steering rack will be in the way.

pps - I also suspect the early turbo conversions (example here: zcar.com classifieds turbo conversion) may NOT have enough room in the Maxima engine bay as the strut towers are much more intrusive than in the 280Z or 280ZX engine bay. Again.. someone has to try it to prove it...
Old 01-29-2006, 06:22 PM

Z header in a Max.

When I got my motor I also got a 240Z header with the purchase. The Z header will not fit. I know this for a fact. What I did is purchase a 72 to 73 240Z stock exhaust manifold and then purchased a two into one 2.5 exhaust pipe system from Motorsport. You will have to modify the collector at the manifold.
seenoz