1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Fouled a Set of plugs, somethings wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:17 PM

Fouled a Set of plugs, somethings wrong

ok some thing werid is going on, the car has been running great for a long while now, thats why i havent been on in a while. any way i hit a pot hole and ripped a hole in my tire and threw my alignment off by 38 degrees at some angles.

but the car still ran fine, i had to have it set for a week untill we got all new front bushings in and to the alignment. after i took care of that started driving it again it started doing something funky.

when i first started the car the rpm would bounce from about normal, 1200 RPM to about almost stalling and back and fourth, same thing while in gear but after a few minutes (when it would get slightly warm) it would be fine.

untill i was driving along and it bogged all the way down to barely running, was able to get home but that was it. and the next day we pulled the plugs and they were ALL fouled

today we replaced the plugs with something a little hotter because pop thought it was running rich and its back to running rough when i first start it up and then it runs fine after a few minutes, i have tried everything except adjusting the timing but it shouldnt be thrown off. crank angle sensor tested fine. so i donno.

any thoughts?

the only thing i can think of at the moment is the coil might be going bad mabe?

at this rate its only a matter of time before i foul up anopther set of plugs
Old 02-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Sounds like its safe mode. Wow that sucks. have you pulled any codes from the ECU. CHTS, TPS, codes or O2 sensor maybe?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Id say pull some codes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM

i havent been able to pull codes but if the ignition coil were getting weak would it mabe do this?

i put 89 octane in it last night and it runs better/smoother but it still has funky problems when i start it up.

rpm goes from almost stalling to 1200 and back and fourth untill it dies or evens out at 1200RPM
Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 AM

Check your air hoses. There is probably a leak. Or a faulty valve.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:41 AM

ok no codes, cant find an air leak but everything is back to normal...or almost back to normal i need to re adjust a few things back to the way they were so it doesent hesitate.

very strange, its working now so i am not going to pry, thanks guys
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM

hmm... Might be your Fuel Pressure Regulator.

This was happening in my 200SX, it wouldnt run for a while, till i cleaned the plugs, it started and did the same problem you explained, then i switched to NGK's, ran some Sea-Foam throught the intake manifold, and it runs a ton better now! I was told the fuel pressure regulator was bad when i bought the car, but it seemed to run fine.

Im still thinking its the FPR, cause what will happen is that it will soak the plugs if it's bad, thus fouling them up, espically if you let it sit.

To replace this, you'd have to remove your upper intake plenum, and possibly get a new fuel rail. The one off my Z engine was removable, but i think it was a mod the previous owner made.

Whatcha can do is cut the two sides of the FPR off from the rail, and put a new one on with some high pressure fuel line and some fuel-injection hose clamps (never use the cheaper clamps, it'l leak when cold)

Running sea-foam would be a good idea, cause it cleans the intake manifold, valve surfaces, cumbustion chamber, etc.. It might help alot, it seemed to help my S12 alot.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by neo_densetsu
hmm... Might be your Fuel Pressure Regulator.

This was happening in my 200SX, it wouldnt run for a while, till i cleaned the plugs, it started and did the same problem you explained, then i switched to NGK's, ran some Sea-Foam throught the intake manifold, and it runs a ton better now! I was told the fuel pressure regulator was bad when i bought the car, but it seemed to run fine.

Im still thinking its the FPR, cause what will happen is that it will soak the plugs if it's bad, thus fouling them up, espically if you let it sit.

To replace this, you'd have to remove your upper intake plenum, and possibly get a new fuel rail. The one off my Z engine was removable, but i think it was a mod the previous owner made.

Whatcha can do is cut the two sides of the FPR off from the rail, and put a new one on with some high pressure fuel line and some fuel-injection hose clamps (never use the cheaper clamps, it'l leak when cold)

Running sea-foam would be a good idea, cause it cleans the intake manifold, valve surfaces, cumbustion chamber, etc.. It might help alot, it seemed to help my S12 alot.
ditto. Sea-Foam is an excellent idea. Also, see if your AAR is at fault, my first gen was acting strange till i bypassed it . From what i have read, you can use a toyota cressida's AAR on the first gen straight six max. Check this site for more info http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm, it may or maynot apply...