1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

87 Maxima no injector pulse---Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

87 Maxima no injector pulse---Help Please

">Hello, I have a 87 maxima, 3.0, auto. I'am stumped and was hoping someone more familiar could shine some light on my issue. I've lost injector pulse causing a no start. This is what I do have:

-Fuel pump is working, have fuel pressure at fuel rail
-Has spark
-Can shoot gas into intake and will run for a few seconds
-Fuseable links and fuses are good

I have a diagram and have traced it down to the eccs #2 relay (safety relay), looks like it supplies a + to all injectors and then sends a ground signal from the pcm to the injectors to fire them.

Does it keep power on that relay at all times? Or am I looking at it wrong?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Man, U and I are brothers of a different mother...LOL! Probably the only 2 guys in the whole world trying to figure out how to get a '87 auto Max to start.... This forum is pretty slim for participants nowadays. Have you swapped out the Cam Position Sensor? Just a guess with my past trials and tribulations
Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hahaha, thanks man. I think i'am on to something. This is my gf's car that she's had forever and has been sitting. Unfortunately i'am dealing with repairs done in the past by who knows. Someone cut all the pig tails off the injectors and wired them direct, but in the process of putting the upper intake on pinched one of the wires that supplies 12+ to the injector harness causing my short. On top of that they removed 1 of the 2 fuseable links going to the battery and tied them all together. It's going to take me twice as long to undo the messed up stuff. Hopefully that'll get it. Would you happen to have any idea what the amp rating is for the fuseable link with a brown wire?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 AM

It's a 25a. and good luck with that! They are fun cars and run great until they don't. Check out my thread called "Int. Start 1987" below this one and that might give you some ideas also. There used to be some sharp guys who knew old Maximas on here, but I guess they have moved on
Old 12-31-2013, 11:38 AM

oh man sounds like you could have a mess to deal with, i would start with repairing or replacing wiring, best bet i think would go pull a harness out of the junk yard. have you checked codes on the ecu, ecu might be shot if there has been shorts in the wiring...
Old 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, thought i'd post a little update. I've got it all figured out and is running great. Somewhere down the line someone decided that the injector connectors where bad, or broken, or who knows.....So instead of buying replacement connectors they soldiered the wires directly to the injector terminals. They did a pretty good job with heat shrink and all that jazz, but when they put the upper intake back on they pinched one of the wires in between the upper and lower intake. Had a hunch that was it since i couldn't hardly move the wire around. It was pretty tough to see it and thought maybe the accidentally wrapped the wire around the fuel rail when the hooked it back up. I was unaware that the fusible link that was already there was a replacement until i looked closer and was way too big for the circuit. Car's actually in really good shape. I think about 95% of the problems that i'am finding are from people not knowing how to troubleshoot.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:54 PM

That's good to hear. I am glad you didn't give up on her. That sounded like a monumental task you had!!!!! Enjoy driving her around.