3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all :(

Just got some more bad news! Everyone knows I just had an ACT clutch put in by my buddy who is a mechanic and it seemed to help out my 1st and 2nd gear woes. Now they are back and My problems continue. Here it is my output shaft bearing in my tranny basically fell apart. When my buddy put the clutch in and didnt machine the flywheel and if he had any idea of what he was doing he should have seen the input shaft going up and down which is wasnt supposed to be doing! So now I have to dish out $1,127.42 for labor, bearing kit, another clutch kit(the ACT didnt even have 300 miles on it), flywheel machined, and a seal kit!!! I am gonna talk to my buddy but what should I say to him any advice? should I ask for my money back or what? Thanks guys!!
Old 10-09-2002, 12:51 PM

Re: If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all :(

Originally posted by Kevincleff
Just got some more bad news! Everyone knows I just had an ACT clutch put in by my buddy who is a mechanic and it seemed to help out my 1st and 2nd gear woes. Now they are back and My problems continue. Here it is my output shaft bearing in my tranny basically fell apart. When my buddy put the clutch in and didnt machine the flywheel and if he had any idea of what he was doing he should have seen the input shaft going up and down which is wasnt supposed to be doing! So now I have to dish out $1,127.42 for labor, bearing kit, another clutch kit(the ACT didnt even have 300 miles on it), flywheel machined, and a seal kit!!! I am gonna talk to my buddy but what should I say to him any advice? should I ask for my money back or what? Thanks guys!!
I don't know about what you should say to your buddy, but if that price includes labor than you aren't doin too bad, trust me. I had about the same thing done 2 years ago and it cost me $2K...
Old 10-09-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all :(

Originally posted by Kevincleff

the repairs on my car was:

sparks (all 6), oil gasket, wheel bearings, 4 new tires and y-pipe

all cost me around 1800.00 nut sacks and all those were done within the last 3 months. I could have used those nut sacks for mods, but then again what good are mods if the car can't move or function right. NO?

I feel ya man
Old 10-09-2002, 01:11 PM

if you asked your buddy for help and he did it as a favor then you can't really ask him for your money back. it's not his job and he wsa trying to save you a few bucks - there's no 30 day warrenty for that sort of stuff.

esp if you're close to your friend, you don't want to seem like a cheap ungrateful shmuck that's going after the guy becasue things didn't work out - no other way faster to ruin a friendship. you may just want to mention that the repair didn't work and it casued some other failure - if he offers to compensate you okay, let him buy you a beer, but you have to ask yourself if a few hundred bucks worth your friendship
Old 10-09-2002, 01:12 PM

Tranny problems are the WORST! Good luck dude. That's why I do as much work myself as I can. Get in there, do it once, right and overwith. As for your buddy, he owes you a lifetime supply of beer