3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

more on advanced timing...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

more on advanced timing...(long)

well, heres the thing...i was just playing w/ my car cause it has been missing a lot lately, i attempted to clean my iacv and taped my front ignition coils cause they were cracked...after this there was no difference so i decided to play with the timing (i had previously advanced it) and the missing finally went away, but only after i had retarded the timing past the stock position. next i took it 4 a drive...and although the car seems much more stable, when floored it falls flat on its face, there was a serious lack in the high end power. next i took the car back home and put the timing back to advanced, and the power returned, but the car putters in idle, and doesnt run smooth when coasting around 45-65 or so...so the question is...what can i do to get the car to run more stable w/ advanced timing? does ne1 else with advanced timing have this prob? i figure if i go out and do all the matienence stuff like eric has then maybe itd b better, but still, it just seems weird that with advanced timing the car has more power but is so unstable...my biggest worry it that in the long run i will hurt my car. sorry its so long
Old 10-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: more on advanced timing...(long)

Originally posted by Maximajism94se
well, heres the thing...i was just playing w/ my car cause it has been missing a lot lately, i attempted to clean my iacv and taped my front ignition coils cause they were cracked...
well since ignition timing is connected to the ignition and the coils(yours is cracked) are connected to the ignition as well and your problem occurs when you fiddle around with the timing maybe the place to start you repairs is the ignion system... I mean that "cracked" coil can't be too healty right??(I'm guessing, never really dealt with the VE coil packs)
Old 10-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

How did you adjust the timing

More importantly what did you use to adj the timing. If you just loosen the nut and turn the cam sensor a few mm here and there without the proper use of a timing light, wrong. I realize some have suggest just turn it a few mm and it's advanced, this might be true but without the proper use of a light your just guessing and you know how picky these VE can be when you're dealing with ign timing. Take the extra time it takes to splice a spare wire between the plug and coil pack to properly pick-up a signal.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:15 PM

Re: How did you adjust the timing

Originally posted by CandiMan
More importantly what did you use to adj the timing. If you just loosen the nut and turn the cam sensor a few mm here and there without the proper use of a timing light, wrong. I realize some have suggest just turn it a few mm and it's advanced, this might be true but without the proper use of a light your just guessing and you know how picky these VE can be when you're dealing with ign timing. Take the extra time it takes to splice a spare wire between the plug and coil pack to properly pick-up a signal.
lol.. thats what i did with my VG .. but i did a bit more then a few mm ... im talking like 1/4 of an inch LOL
Old 10-22-2002, 09:28 AM

Re: more on advanced timing...(long)

Originally posted by Maximajism94se
well, heres the thing...i was just playing w/ my car cause it has been missing a lot lately, i attempted to clean my iacv and taped my front ignition coils cause they were cracked...after this there was no difference so i decided to play with the timing (i had previously advanced it) and the missing finally went away, but only after i had retarded the timing past the stock position. next i took it 4 a drive...and although the car seems much more stable, when floored it falls flat on its face, there was a serious lack in the high end power. next i took the car back home and put the timing back to advanced, and the power returned, but the car putters in idle, and doesnt run smooth when coasting around 45-65 or so...so the question is...what can i do to get the car to run more stable w/ advanced timing? does ne1 else with advanced timing have this prob? i figure if i go out and do all the matienence stuff like eric has then maybe itd b better, but still, it just seems weird that with advanced timing the car has more power but is so unstable...my biggest worry it that in the long run i will hurt my car. sorry its so long
How many miles does the engine have now?

There is a lot of crap that these engines need to run like new again.
-KS terminals need to be cleaned (severe loss of low end power)
-injectors need to be reseated and cleaned
-coils go bad (All should be replaced as apart of regular 70K ignition tune up)
-Transistor pack goes bad (should be replaced at atleast 100k)
-IACV sticks
There is a lot more that I'm missing
Old 10-22-2002, 02:13 PM

yeah, ive been thinkin about doin all this stuff b/f i head 2 the track again cause i really wanna improve on my 15.9 time, but i know that stock its gonna b hard...the car now has about 114k on it so i think im gonna look into setting aside a weekend to do the injectors and all the other stuff...gaw...damn this car and its eating $ (not really, but i wanna paint the thing, not fix it!)
Old 10-22-2002, 02:33 PM

what's KS terminals?
Old 10-22-2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Agamemnon
what's KS terminals?
Knock Sensor?
Old 10-22-2002, 02:40 PM

knock sensor
Old 10-22-2002, 04:29 PM

What's the IACV's?