3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wheel fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 10:04 PM

Wheel fell off.

Tonight, my g/f was driving home and the front right wheel just snapped off from her hub. I mean, it literally snapped off 4 studs. Everyone is okay, it scared her more than anything, since she stopped the car immediately (good girl!), and called me. Nothing could be done right away, so we had it towed to the local nissan dealership, where i will call them in the morning to inquire. My question is--is there any way that I could have tightened them too tight? I mean, so tight that they actually sheared the bolts off? I've been in many a tire shop where they have snapped off bolts with pneumatics. But I didn't use any to work on hers. All of the studs except one sheared off and i was the last one to remove the front wheels. I was a little ****ed and wanted to know if i should be ****ed at myself or another.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:07 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

YES

YOu or whoever put that wheel on last (had 2 of been a impact) to do that .Trust me I know
Old 10-22-2002, 06:10 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

u think it's possible that it wasn't on tight enough and the wheel was bouncing around the studs until they gave away?
i have heard one or two studs going..but FOUR? that's very odd...too loose on the lugs can also mess up the studs.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:54 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DanNY
u think it's possible that it wasn't on tight enough and the wheel was bouncing around the studs until they gave away?
i have heard one or two studs going..but FOUR? that's very odd...too loose on the lugs can also mess up the studs.
That was MY thought when I read this thread, Dan. I've heard on more than one occasion about the lugs not being on tight enough and the wheel coming off. Heck, I had that happen to my 300ZX when I had it.

At least it didn't happen when they were going at highway speeds.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:13 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

ture ,ture

Originally posted by nubiannupe

That was MY thought when I read this thread, Dan. I've heard on more than one occasion about the lugs not being on tight enough and the wheel coming off. Heck, I had that happen to my 300ZX when I had it.

At least it didn't happen when they were going at highway speeds.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Wheel fell off.

More likely that you did not tighten it enough. When this happens the lugnuts fall off one by one and the rim starts wobbling and breaking the studs off. The tire will usually start making alot of noise before it falls off all together. I've done it, just about anyone who works on his own vehicle has probably done it. The trick is to catch it before it gets that far and your girlfriend most likely didn't know what to look for.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:22 PM

it happened to myself and 2 friends, i had a tire replaced and my wheel fell off luckily at a light. i stopped, and the car fell to one side, my friend had his go flying out at 2 in the morning on the atlantic city expressway, it destroyed his 1/4. i think when i had nmy tire replaced the guy had over tightened it so i loosened it up a lil, bad move. my friend just had adapters so they came loose and stripped the thread. we couldnt get the adapter off or else we probably could have remounted them. it happens
Old 10-22-2002, 07:01 PM

That's scary **** man..always double check..about 75 fott punds is all it takes..not too much really. I always check mine after a few hours of driving in case they loosen up. Glad your girl is OK..
Old 10-22-2002, 07:28 PM

Thats crazy man I have had that happen to me a few times never fell off but close. Either i never tighten them enough or too much. Thank god your girl is ok and nothing really happen. You live and learn from your mistakes.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

These stories sound scary. I work on cars all day and have never heard of anything about a wheel falling off that leaves my shop. These are making me TRIPLE check myself now. I've also never heard of overtightened lugs making wheels fall off. You must have one hell of a impact gun to cause that type of damage. Most of the time the rim will give before you damage the stud.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
Is that your car Dan? Very nice looking- kinda like THEMAX's with the aussie grille. I really thought that your sig was the one constant on the org
Old 10-23-2002, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by FASHIZL
These stories sound scary. I work on cars all day and have never heard of anything about a wheel falling off that leaves my shop. These are making me TRIPLE check myself now. I've also never heard of overtightened lugs making wheels fall off. You must have one hell of a impact gun to cause that type of damage. Most of the time the rim will give before you damage the stud.
I worked at a shop that lost a wheel on a customer's car, but it wasn't my doing. I always torque down by hand or with a tourque limiting socket extension and apply a dab of torque seal/putty. No doubts for me or the customer then. I don't think overtorqueing to the point of stud failure is possible unless you've got that Ingersoll Rand big momma impact wrench. Something like 700ftlbs! MAYBE then, but usually it's the loose lugs that cause failure. I actually saw the center section of a steel wheel turn bluish from fatigue heat and shear right out around the bolt circle because of loose lugs! Wheel went flying but the studs AND center section of the wheel remained. Makes me wonder how long the owner drove like that..they had to feel something very wrong at a point before failure.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man, someone could have been seriously hurt. I was in ATL the other day and there was an ES300 that was laying on its roof. It looked like the front passenger tire just snapped in two.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:08 AM
ShOwMaX

i had the same experience. 3 studs broke off. For some reason my locks kept getting loose every so often then one day it just gave up and almost lost my wheel but luckily i heard some funny noises and sttopped. It is very noticable when you have loose lug nuts or locks. I didnt hear because i have a system but i felt the wobbleness. I dont get it because i always tighten it good enought then it gets loosen again 2 days later. Since that little incident i havent gotten any more problems with the studs.
And now i wont ever have any more problems with this again with this max because my max is totaled. 2 days ago i was rear ended by some kid who just got his license. Now im looking to join the ve side of the maximas.

bj yang

Old 10-28-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by male

I worked at a shop that lost a wheel on a customer's car, but it wasn't my doing. I always torque down by hand or with a tourque limiting socket extension and apply a dab of torque seal/putty. No doubts for me or the customer then. I don't think overtorqueing to the point of stud failure is possible unless you've got that Ingersoll Rand big momma impact wrench. Something like 700ftlbs! MAYBE then, but usually it's the loose lugs that cause failure. I actually saw the center section of a steel wheel turn bluish from fatigue heat and shear right out around the bolt circle because of loose lugs! Wheel went flying but the studs AND center section of the wheel remained. Makes me wonder how long the owner drove like that..they had to feel something very wrong at a point before failure.
Not necessarily true... I overtightened mine by hand WAYYYYY too tight, and I ended up breaking 3 studs loose, two on one side and 1 on the other.
I couldn't figure out why my car didn't like the highway until I tried to tighten the nuts up again and a couple just kept spinning...
Got THAT fixed real quick!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Most metal that fails, usually tells you why it failed

It's unlikely you have the broken end of the stud so in that case you will have to look at the broken stud that was left in the hub. Personally I would look at this studs and take a close look at the break. If its a clean break from a sudden shock load it will be nice a shinny, kinda like breaking a pencil, just snap. If it has signs of rust that means it has been crack for a while then finally it broke. If the studs shows signs of rubbing, that tells you something was rubbing on it (like a loose wheel) until it broke. When it comes to replacing susp/steer bolts that has broken for no appearant reason I take a close look to see if I can determine why it broke so not to duplicate the problem again. Its kinda like when I replace blown fuses, I try not to just swap them out but take a close look at the blown fuse.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:56 AM

By any chance did the wheel come off and hit a 94-95 blue VW Jetta. about 2 weeks ago. Because my friend was hit by a wheel of a 3rd gen maxima around Charlotte, Nc it took out his driver side mirrior and damaged his fender.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:39 AM

slick you in charlotte? if so, i am too
Old 11-01-2002, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by maxedout94
slick you in charlotte? if so, i am too
Yeah I live in huntersville jsut north of Charlotte I work about 1000 ft from that big accident that happend on 77 with the semi.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:44 AM

oh okay, did you go to the iasca show 2 weeks ago?, with the 3rd gen with stillen kit, 20 inch wheels, and many many tvs inside
Old 11-01-2002, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by maxedout94
oh okay, did you go to the iasca show 2 weeks ago?, with the 3rd gen with stillen kit, 20 inch wheels, and many many tvs inside
Nope didnt even know about it.