3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine sounds supercharged, wish it really was.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 10:46 AM

Engine sounds supercharged, wish it really was.

If you guys have heard a new '03 Cobra, '99+ Lightning, or a '01 supercharged Xterra, you'll hear the whine of a roots-type blower. It's fairly loud and you'll know it if you hear it. So that's the sound I hear inside my cabin now, but it's not like I have a blower on there (sure would be nice though).

Recently, the weather got wetter and cooler so I'm wondering if this is belt or pulley related? My Max has zero mods done to it, so hopefully someone knows this sound and can help me out. If not, I'll try and up a link.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:12 AM

Re: Engine sounds supercharged, wish it really was.

Originally posted by PDubs
If you guys have heard a new '03 Cobra, '99+ Lightning, or a '01 supercharged Xterra, you'll hear the whine of a roots-type blower. It's fairly loud and you'll know it if you hear it. So that's the sound I hear inside my cabin now, but it's not like I have a blower on there (sure would be nice though).

Recently, the weather got wetter and cooler so I'm wondering if this is belt or pulley related? My Max has zero mods done to it, so hopefully someone knows this sound and can help me out. If not, I'll try and up a link.
Is it a 5-spd? Gear whine maybe? PS pump maybe?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:16 AM
STFU n00b!

most likely your power steering pump is going south for the winter (or permanent retirement)..

does it make the noises worse when you turn the wheel to full lock right after you start the car? if so, then it's probably the PS pump. start saving. there's a couple hundred bucks new, but you can pick them up at salvage yards for usually under $60.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:22 AM

IF it is your PS pump, check the fluid level first before writing it off. Plus, mine blew the seal on the front of the pump (pop..whine..real loud..then quieted down) about a year and a half ago. It leaks a bit and unpredictably whines on the occasion, usually long drives if it does. But no failure to speak of yet. Unless it is constant and very noticible, I'd drive it til it craps on you. That's my plan. Almost 2 years and counting!

(knock on wood hehe.)
Old 11-07-2002, 12:57 PM

My 92 se has a pop filter on it and it makes a whistling sound sometimes, Sounds cool like a turbo or a wastegate.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Jack the car up(on stands), take pass wheel/splash guard off. Turn car on(careful!) and turn on lights/defrost. Use a tube to your ear to isolate the ps, alternator, idle pulley etc... I thought mine was the ps pump but after carefull inspection, it's the alternator.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:57 PM

Forgot to post that mine's an automatic.

So it sounds to be either PS or alternator related. The sound mimics the RPMs: more RPMs, louder sound and vice versa as it changes gears. This hopefully would coincide with the fact that the car is slightly leaking something clear (either coolant or PS fluid) as I have parked it in the same spot continuously in front of our newly built driveway. The driveway is light-colored, and it's not oil (as I thought it might have been) because the spots are light and not that big.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try everything and post what I find out.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:38 PM
STFU n00b!

if it's fluid, then it's most likely your PS pump that's going out. the alternator is the only other thing that makes noises like that, and it doesn't have any fluid in it. (except a small amount of blinker fluid so the current can pass throught he wires easier.)

FYI.. you can fill your power steering system with ATF (auto tranny fluid) and it will work just fine. Nissan actually recommends it, believe it or not.

which side of the car is the stuff leaking from? if it's from the right, it's definitely the PS pump. if it's from the left, it might be transmission fluid.. also see how thick the stuff is. tranny fluid will be red/pink and pretty thick. oil will be gold/brown/black and thinner. power steering fluid will either be red (if it's filled with tranny fluid) or light gold/clear if it's filled with power steering fluid. PS fluid will be pretty thin consistency. thinner than engine oil. tranny fluid is pretty durn thick.

look at what is leaking and where and that'll tell you a lot.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:00 PM

Like an idiot, I neglected to mention that key piece of information. The slow drip/leak is coming from the passenger side of the car. Somewhere in the rear of the engine bay between the front of the passenger seat and the rear of the front wheel. It's a slow drip, so I haven't been able to sit there and watch it, but based off the stain it leaves behind.

It also seems to be fairly thin and not pink. Inidicating a PS-related problem it sounds like. I also noticed the sound while turning on the car (with engine cold) and turning the steering wheel all the way to the right. The sound would increase as I turned the wheel.

So...it sounds like this is a power steering problem. Should I buy the part and attempt to install it myself (not terribly mechanically inclines). Or should I buy the part and have a shop put it in (avoiding the dealership)? Thanks for all the tips.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by male
IF it is your PS pump, check the fluid level first before writing it off. Plus, mine blew the seal on the front of the pump (pop..whine..real loud..then quieted down) about a year and a half ago. It leaks a bit and unpredictably whines on the occasion, usually long drives if it does. But no failure to speak of yet. Unless it is constant and very noticible, I'd drive it til it craps on you. That's my plan. Almost 2 years and counting!

(knock on wood hehe.)
Good plan! It has been working for me. (crosses fingers tightly)