3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help! back window doesnt goes up or down

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2000, 12:21 PM

I can hear some noise like the motor is working when a push the swith controls but it doesnt goes down or up.
it got stuck in the down position and what i did was pull it up with my hands and then push the switch to the upper position because last night rained.

Please Help!

Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2000, 12:56 PM
STFU n00b!

time for a new window regulator. it's VERY common with 3rd gen Maxes. I've repaired all 4 of mine, some more than once.

the problem is that there are small plastic pieces on them that get brittle and break after a few years. Nissan has since then redesigned them and they shouldn't break again.
I forget price on them, but you can find the part# and price on kaleb's website. http://www.kalebonline.com

or you can just call courtesy nissan and order the part directly. they'll know the part #.
1-800-527-1909
Old 09-12-2000, 10:43 AM

thanks for the info Matt, but I was thinking if the other 3 regulators are going to brake, its better for me to try and fix this one so when another one brakes I will already know how to fix it
I already have the door panel out but dunno what to do, do you have some pics or instructions or ideas
or anybody out there

Thanks

Old 09-12-2000, 11:45 AM
STFU n00b!

there aren't really any "instructions" per se.. it's kinda the same as bodywork.. find the broken parts and repair/replace them, put back together.

sooooo, if I WERE to give you instructions, it would be something like this:
1. Remove door panel, then plug window switch(es) back in.
2. Roll down window (or slide or whatever it takes to get the window down), unscrew the 2 silver colored screws at the bottom of the window.
3. slide window back up and wedge something in the track so the window won't slide back down on you- don';t use the switch, just slide the glass up by hand.
4. unbolt all the gold colored screws from the front of the door skin. there should be 7, 2 at the top, 2 at bottom, and 3 in a triangle toward the front of the door.
5. once all those are done, the regulator should come out with no problem. you may have to twist and turn and fun stuff like that, but it will come out of the large hole in the door.
6. now that you have a broken regulator in your hand, look for the broken part and figure out what is necessary to fix it.

Once you've fixed the broken piece on the regulator, you'll probably have to spend about an hour messing around with the steel cable. I recommend using a couple pair of needlenose pliers with electrical tape on the ends, so as not to damage the cable. you'll need to take any kinks out and rewind the cable correctly. The hardest part about the whole thing is cleaning up the mess of cable and winding it correctly.

7. once you get the regulator put back together correctly, jsut reinstall everything in the car. before you tighten the gold screws down, roll the window up and down a couple of times to make sure everything is aligned correctly and spray the weatherstripping with some silicone lubricant. roll the window back up completely, THEN tighten the screws down. they probably won't be in the exact same position as they were before oyu took it apart. that's fine. (the holes are oval-shaped exactly for this reason.)

that's about it. repeat on any other regulator that's broken.

Old 09-12-2000, 02:52 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

hey matt, do you know if the regulators can be repaired with jb weld or some sort of superglue? i saw on kalebs website that it could be done like that and i want to try and do it if possible (cant spend any more money cuz i just got an arospeed muffler and want to get a full exhaust system put in). i also couldnt find the regulator. i once had the door panel off and couldnt figure out what was the regulator. i couldnt see any broken parts or anything so i just put it back together.
Old 09-13-2000, 05:57 AM

here is a pic of a regulator that is on ebay, I am to trying to fix mine I am using a plastic cement to fix the part broken (the large thing that is on the middle of the rail) but the tips of the steel cable that goes to the motor are damage to, so I have to fix that to, well I did that yesterday it takes 1-2 days to dry so hopefully I will finish on saturday
dunno if its going to work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...174354&r=0&t=0
Old 09-13-2000, 09:16 AM
STFU n00b!

you can try to fix it with JB weld or something to that effect, but I've tried that several times and it always broke again within 5 min of installing the regulator. I even tried fiberglass resin and that didn't work.
What I ended up having to do was cut small pieces of "mechanic's wire" (basically thin baling wire) and wrap the broken parts to hold them together.
on some of the pieces, I just picked up some scrap pieces of aluminum and made copies of the original plastic pieces, then attached them to the regulator. they'll never break now!