3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

timing or fuel injection problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 09:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

timing or fuel injection problem

I changed my spark plugs, no problems, then i go to start the car,
and its obviously missing. after some checking and a new rotor, cap, and plug wires, i have finally come to the conclusion, that I shouldnt have changed the spark plus. If it aint broke , dont fix it. Im gonna tatoo that on my forehead.

I found what appears to be fuel injection sensors, I think that they are the problem. '

this is the pic

http://home.houston.rr.com/sativa/max/01.JPG

I really dont know what they are, but over time, the rubber seal around the two wires (inside) has cracked, and rotted. Could this be the problem? The car runs, but not well. It has an obvious miss, and moving some of these wires while its running, will make the miss more or less. Can anyone tell me what they are?
Old 12-02-2002, 09:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

The connectors themselves could have corossion in/around the contact area. Unplug a few and see if the contacts are clean/dirty. If dirty, carefully clean and see how it runs. You could also try unplugging the injector connectors one at a time to see which one is missing.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok. I will do that, if you can tell me how to get them off, without breaking them.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

You have to peel back the lower part of the rubber protector you are holding(in the picture) and then carefully use something to bend back the metal wire clips. Be carefull. If you pry too much on those metal clips, you will break the plastic clip holding the metal wire. I usually bend one back and gently pry on end of the injector up. Then do the same for the other end.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:43 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by yeah right
Ok. I will do that, if you can tell me how to get them off, without breaking them.
go pick up a set of good dental picks..doesn't have to be from your dentist...but something that's similar to it would help.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I have to admit, the people at maxima.org really do know their stuff. This is twice Ive had a problem, and twice its been fixed, and in a timely manner. I really appreciate the help Jeff92se and danNY. You were right on the money. All the contacts were very coroded. Its running great again. Thanks again
Old 12-02-2002, 12:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Man, you cleaned all those injector connections in about 1/2 hour!

Well, I have to admit, the people at maxima.org really do know their stuff. This is twice Ive had a problem, and twice its been fixed, and in a timely manner. I really appreciate the help Jeff92se and danNY. You were right on the money. All the contacts were very coroded. Its running great again. Thanks again
Old 12-02-2002, 01:40 PM

Good idea

Originally posted by DanNY

go pick up a set of good dental picks..doesn't have to be from your dentist...but something that's similar to it would help.
I picked up a set of dental pics on ebay for $1.50. FYI.

Its surprising how much you can use them on a car.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, I got it done quick, I am not the kind who can sit still when i know my car isnt running right. The dental picks would have worked well, but i didnt have any, so I used some wd-40, and my 13 y.o (know it all) nieces toothbrush. They were still kinda corroded, so i bent each male connector a miniscule amount, so it would make better contact. I couldnt get to the number 2 cylinder sensor at all, since the intake plenum is directly over it. I was hoping it wouldnt be the one that was causing the problems. So it, all worked out well. When i was done, I went to Wendys and ate. All is right again.

Next up, are those noisy little numbers under the drivers door handle. How can I find out the codes, or whatever I need?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:27 PM

Next up, are those noisy little numbers under the drivers door handle. How can I find out the codes, or whatever I need?
I'm not familiar with them cause I have a SE but the GXE guys should be able to tell you where to find the master code inside the car somewhere. You might also search for master door lock code and find the answer you need.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

resting you keyless entry code

Yeah, I got it done quick, I am not the kind who can sit still when i know my car isnt running right. The dental picks would have worked well, but i didnt have any, so I used some wd-40, and my 13 y.o (know it all) nieces toothbrush. They were still kinda corroded, so i bent each male connector a miniscule amount, so it would make better contact. I couldnt get to the number 2 cylinder sensor at all, since the intake plenum is directly over it. I was hoping it wouldnt be the one that was causing the problems. So it, all worked out well. When i was done, I went to Wendys and ate. All is right again.

what you need to do to rest the code is get in the passenger side and look under the dash. that is were the controll box is. its about a 4 inch metal box located under the passenger side dash closer to the door. on the box there is a sticker with the master combo. get the number and read in the owners manual on how to reset it. but thats were you will find the master combo!
good luck
Old 12-02-2002, 09:14 PM

Re: Good idea

Originally posted by 5spd92SE

I picked up a set of dental pics on ebay for $1.50. FYI.

Its surprising how much you can use them on a car.

So much so that they're now selling them (or a similar tool) at the auto parts store!