3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG-VE engine swap???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 08:04 AM

VG-VE engine swap???

Im just wondering if there is any major problems that i would run into when swaping a VE in place of my VG i have a chance to buy one really cheap cause my friend just totalled his 92 max......SAD SAD... well if anyone has done the swap or knows anything about i need all the info i can get so anything would help.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:10 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: VG-VE engine swap???

you might wanna pick up the FSM for the two cars and compare specs, trannys, mounting of other accessories, etc. no one known has doen this before, personally I see it being more trouble than good and not worth the time and money to get it working. but if you're bored enough to do it, go ahead are you paying someone to do this for you??

OMG....I took an VG->VE engine swap post seriously *checks temperature*
Old 12-06-2002, 08:16 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

tow wrecked car to junkyard...

purchase 92-94 SE...swap done
Old 12-06-2002, 09:30 AM

Park the two cars side by side, and take things out till the VE fits.

Old 12-06-2002, 11:52 AM

way too much trouble for only the boost in performance you receive. For what it will cost in miscellaneous crap and time, I suggest you start collecting VGT parts.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

having both cars would make it easier though. if he only had the engine that would be hard but he has both cars which should make it easier.

i also think this would be an easier swap than the vg-t considering nissan actually made the ve for that maxima i.e. not as much modding as a vg-t swap just more swapping.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:17 PM

I was thinking about doing this as well, just put it in my garage and go at it when i get bored, but i think that your right about the performance not being equal to the time and money it consumes.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Re: VG-VE engine swap???

The only reason im doing this swap is b/c im getting this engine for $110, and im getting the whole car. So if the mounts match up i should be able to do the swap for really cheap.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:51 PM

Re: VG-VE engine swap???

Originally posted by maxmaxima91
Im just wondering if there is any major problems that i would run into when swaping a VE in place of my VG i have a chance to buy one really cheap cause my friend just totalled his 92 max......SAD SAD... well if anyone has done the swap or knows anything about i need all the info i can get so anything would help.
what about the rest of the car? I want the rest MUAHAH!! (MAD SCIENTIST)
Old 12-07-2002, 09:36 AM

You'd be better off with a VG powered 92SE. Or convert your car to an SE and keep the VG. Last time I checked the VE's on the 4dsc board were dropping like flies.

Mike S.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:03 AM
Donating member? what the?!

Originally posted by Mike S.
You'd be better off with a VG powered 92SE. Or convert your car to an SE and keep the VG. Last time I checked the VE's on the 4dsc board were dropping like flies.

Mike S.
I don't understand your post.
You told him to get a 92SE VG? Aren't 92SE standard VE?
He's trying to get away from the VG and into the VE.

(not flaming)
Old 12-11-2002, 09:51 AM

he's saying that the ve engines are dropping like flies on the other maxima board (probably due to VTC's) and he's saying swap-wise you would be better off having a vg engine. he's also saying that if you have a VE engine with as much trouble as he's seen going on with those the better of the swaps, vg->ve and ve->vg, would be the ve to vg. although no that i know of has swapped the engines like that as it would probably be pretty difficult and expensive.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
he's saying that the ve engines are dropping like flies on the other maxima board (probably due to VTC's) and he's saying swap-wise you would be better off having a vg engine. he's also saying that if you have a VE engine with as much trouble as he's seen going on with those the better of the swaps, vg->ve and ve->vg, would be the ve to vg. although no that i know of has swapped the engines like that as it would probably be pretty difficult and expensive.
Ugh. I'd rather have my VE thanks.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Doing a VG to a VE would be a great idea and you know that if you do it jerm, that i will be right next to you helping you the whole time. I love you man!!!!!
Maximas rule!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 PM

I'm gonna stick with my VG, it's served me well.The VG is a strong engine.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:30 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by Mike S.

Mike S.
there's been ONE ve failure recently.. out of how many on the road? and that one was also rebuilt a while back, so you can't count on the innards to be of factory build quality (sorry jeffy, but 'tis true.) so you can't base that engine failing on anything...

If anything counts, I beat on my VE harder than I used to beat on my VG... and my VE is still going STRONG at 187k miles. my VG was starting to smoke at just 125k miles.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

there's been ONE ve failure recently.. out of how many on the road? and that one was also rebuilt a while back, so you can't count on the innards to be of factory build quality (sorry jeffy, but 'tis true.) so you can't base that engine failing on anything...

If anything counts, I beat on my VE harder than I used to beat on my VG... and my VE is still going STRONG at 187k miles. my VG was starting to smoke at just 125k miles.
This thread is now retarded. To swap a VE for a VG would be foolish. Even swapping the VE for a VG would be a serious pain in the A## too, even if you did have a donor car. The only way this makes sense is if you have the facilities and time to do it yourself. Time is better spent doing a straight, stock VGT swap. More potential, and if you omit the IC, custom work is not really much. Finally, reliablity has as much to do with how well maintained the engine was as does the factory build quality. If the previous owner (assuming you are not the only owner in the cars existance) did not take care of it, let the oil run low, let it knock for weeks at a time (which destroys the rings and encourages blowby), beat it up ot whatnot, the engine will show signs of wear sooner that a car that was treated right. So a comparison like which engine, VG or VE, has better longevity, is a moot point when you consider all other factors that influence the life and performance of a motor. They are both very reliable, a Nissan trait. The only real "advantages" the VG has are simplicity and lower compression/power production. The latter is true of any engine comparison, as lower compression and power production incur lower stresses on the internals and drivetrain of the engine.
So dude, do the swap if you have the ambition, the means and the money. It certainly can be done.