3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

how do you know if transmission died?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 01:07 PM

how do you know if transmission died?

yesterday i was driving and when i stepped on the brakes the whole car started shaking and when i step on the gas pedal and take my foot off of it, i feel a slight jerk. i went home and a few hours later i started the car again and when i put the car into drive the car turned off. what's the problem?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

listen i don't have a 3rd gen but i have a 2002 maxima se a/t and i blew my 3rd tranny but when it went i was able to drive it and it wouldn't go over 20mph and it sounded like my car was tied to a tree but it doesn't sound like a tranny problem but i would still get it looked at for the tranny sorry can't really help ya
Old 12-23-2002, 09:29 PM

And you blew 3 trannies in a year doing what? I'm sorry but to accomplish a feat like that you must be doing some pretty idiotic stuff like neutral drops or whatnot.

To redzero: it's almost impossible to diagnose tranny problems over the internet, which is why nobody important has replied to your post, espcially with your very vague information. Get it checked out at a shop.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

for starters it is my buisiness what i do with my car and for your information i am going to court cause my car is a lemon and personally if you owned a 2002 you would know you don't have to nuetral drop it with that kind of hp and don't asume any thing
Old 12-24-2002, 08:27 AM
I love lamp.

Re: how do you know if transmission died?

Originally posted by redzero
yesterday i was driving and when i stepped on the brakes the whole car started shaking and when i step on the gas pedal and take my foot off of it, i feel a slight jerk. i went home and a few hours later i started the car again and when i put the car into drive the car turned off. what's the problem?
Dumb queston. Did you check the tranny fluid level? I know that autos with too low a level will develop similar issues, but is usually accompanied by hard shifting.

Sarin
Old 12-24-2002, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Mr. skyline
for starters it is my buisiness what i do with my car and for your information i am going to court cause my car is a lemon and personally if you owned a 2002 you would know you don't have to nuetral drop it with that kind of hp and don't asume any thing
jeez, he was just asking what was going on...
Old 12-24-2002, 09:46 AM

You sure they're not putting Sentra transmissions in your car instead of a Maxima one? I've known too many people that beat the hell out of their car then wonder why it breaks every month, and claim it to be unreliable and a "lemon". Good luck bringing it to court, but if you had the entire transmission replaced 3 times, I doubt it's because it's a "lemon". I haven't exactly searched on the matter but from what I know other 5th gen Maximas their transmissions have been reliable. Now unless you keep having one specific part of the tranny replaced that keeps failing, you don't have much of a case, since the transmission is its own separate entity and doesn't really depend on other things to make it operate, except of course the A/T ECU controller. So if you keep replacing the ENTIRE transmission and it keeps breaking, it's 99% the driver's fault.

I may be making assumptions, but that's the only way this makes sense to me. And if you have a 2002 why are you posting your advice on a 3rd gen forum?
Old 12-24-2002, 04:15 PM
Derek94SE

It may be your business what you do with your car, but personally, I'm a little weary of taking transmission advice from someone who's dropped 3 tranny's in a year. Just my personal thoughts.

Old 12-24-2002, 04:34 PM

Yeah, It's pretty likely your tranny is shot. Mine had almost identical problems. I was pulling into safeway, the whole car vibrated really hard, I quickly got into the parking spot, oand shut it off. Couldn't get it into a gear after that. Idled fine, but as soon as I move the gear(1-2-d-r), car shudders and dies. Needed new trans. $2100!