3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Looking for some help with my 93 Pearl SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002 | 09:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking for some help with my 93 Pearl SE

Trying to figure out why the car is idling so rough... At times it will just stall and will have to restart the car at a stop light. Just did a tune up and everything and can't seem to figure it out.

Also, trying to find a Nissan mechanic in the Chicago/Surrounding Suburban Area who might be able to help me as well...

Any info would help me out alot...
Old 12-31-2002 | 09:46 PM

What exactly did you change?

O2 sensor
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Spark Plugs

Check EGR
Check MAF

Best bet is to get a FSM or other repair manual and do the test they have in there.
Old 01-01-2003 | 10:07 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Looking for some help with my 93 Pearl SE

Originally posted by 2K3 Pearl SE
Trying to figure out why the car is idling so rough... At times it will just stall and will have to restart the car at a stop light. Just did a tune up and everything and can't seem to figure it out.

Also, trying to find a Nissan mechanic in the Chicago/Surrounding Suburban Area who might be able to help me as well...

Any info would help me out alot...
Which suburb are you near? South or north? Look up prinzII and ask him. He might be able to help you out.
Old 01-03-2003 | 04:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem and then had the fuel injector cleaned, which seemed to have done the trick.
Old 01-04-2003 | 02:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Looking for some help with my 93 Pearl SE

Actually, let me go into a little more detail. When the car is running, there is no power loss or hesitation. The idling seems to get rough when coming to stops or when at very low speeds probably around 1-2 mph.

Another syptom is I have a feeling that the exhaust manifold bolts have broked off on the intake side. Reason being is that I get a strong smell of exhaust fumes inside the car when its running, and I notice at first start-up with the hood open I notice exhaust smoke coming from the intake manifold side.

I'm not sure if this is also the cause of my poor idling, but would like to know which should I take care of first since I'm on a budget but would like to keep the car running.

Was trying to find a Nissan Mechanic who would do some side work, not at the dealer so I could pay them for their work and not give the dealer all the money for something they didn't do.

So if anyone out there can give me some direction that would help me out alot.... And for those of you that have responded so far THANX
Old 01-04-2003 | 10:15 AM

Re: Re: Looking for some help with my 93 Pearl SE

I had a similar problem with my 92 Maxima SE with the auto tranny. I had 2 issues when it happened. First, I checked the ignition coils on my VE engine and discovered that the coil on cylinder 2 was cracked. Bought a new one from Courtesy Nissan and replaced it.

I also had a problem with a broken PCV hose. Seemed to cause engine oil to spew out of the dipstick guide after a while. I replaced it with a much longer hose from an auto parts store because I couldn't get one from the dealer. I have been driving her the last couple of months since the fix and she idles steady as a rock. The tach does not fluctuate at idle or at low rpms.

Check your coils and your PCV valve and hose first before diving into something more complex.

Hope this will help you find a fix to your problem.