3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New Clutch throw-out bearing squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 11:45 PM

New Clutch throw-out bearing squeaks

hey all...i just got my car back from the transmission shop. I had a used 5-speed tranny put in and a NEW Excedy clutch kit put in that i bought off Ebay.
The problem is that when i press the clutch, i hear a squeaking sound coming from under the hood...and when i let the clutch go...it goes away...but this only happens as long as the car is cold..after driving 5 minutes, the squeaking goes away!
the tranny guy says its the new throw-out bearing doing the squealing, but it shouldnt be!
does anybody have any ideas?
plus...whats the break-in period for the excedy clutch kit?
Old 01-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

most clutches are 400-500 miles. i would do 500 miles.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:17 AM

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like the release bearing is no good or poorly lubricated. I put in a new Sachs clutch less than 2 years ago, and the release bearing started squeaking about two months after installation. But mine squeaked only when the pedal was out, clutch engaded. As soon as I put a little pressure on the pedal it would stop. I drove it like this for about 18 months and conveniently on Dec 24th, while doing sone last minute shopping and about an hour before I began my holiday travels, squeaky bearing decide to quit. Damn. So I dealt with it over the last week. I ended up getting a Centerforce Dual Friction from A&A autoparts for $300. They had it for me in less than 24 hours. I wanted an aluminum flywheel too, but NO ONE in this country could get me one in less than a week so I just put in a steel replacement. This clutch by the way feels great and can handle a ton of power. It only feels a little different thatn OEM too. No crazy heavy pedal. After breakin I will give it a good slamming to see what it can do. I looked at the exedy, but at $185 plus shipping (I needed overnight), I'd rather spend an extra hundred and get a really high quality clutch set. Several people told me this clutch really lasts and is one of the better ones on the market. I was advised by many to install a NISSAN release bearing regardless of the clutch I use due to reliability issues. I had no choice but to use the Centerforce bearing, because the local dealers needed at leasta week to get it. So far so good though. Take your car back to the shop and have them put in a nissan bearing. Best of luck. By the way, how much did you pay for that Exedy clutch set?
Old 01-02-2003, 08:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: New Clutch throw-out bearing squeaks

I had the same problem when I put my ACT in. A couple things that went wrong were during install the flywheel was not properly cleaned and resurfaced and my tranny was going. So in the end the problem was the differential bearing in the tranny and the shifter linkage in the tranny was going. All in all i had to rebuild tranny and new clutch cost me about $1100. But that noise is exactly what I experienced and it was the differential bearing in the tranny so be careful if it doesnt go away in like 400 to 500 miles
Old 01-02-2003, 08:47 AM

If noises occur with the clutch engaged, input shaft turning, tranny in neutral, it could be bearings on the input shaft or main shaft (I had this one at one time). If it only occurs in gear and driving, it is usually a diff bearing. If it makes noise only when your foot is in the clutch, likely it is the release bearing. SOund logical?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:05 AM

Im doing a clutch/tranny replacement soon as well soon...I was just going to put in an OEM Clutch in there but all this talk about ACT/CF/Excedy is getting me thinking. Im almost certain now that my tranny is crap from what you all have described. I think my TO bearing is messed too since all I can hear is "rattle" when the clutch is engaged. Question though, when I am already moving, I disengage the clutch and put it in Neutral I can still hear a little rattling, then if I push the shifter into 1st or second (while moving, clutch pedal pressed in) the rattle/chewing sound gets really loud.

The car doesnt do anything bad except make a ton of noise. So I have been in the market for a used VE locking tranny for a while now. When I get the work done, Im going to remember this thread. If I were to put in an STS at the same time, you think that it would improve the OEM clutch response?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:11 AM

sounds like the input shaft bearing to me but could me one of many things. input shaft bearing seems to go out a lot though.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:34 AM

Yeah i will wait until the break in period is over and then see if the squeaking is still there...these days it has decreased a lot and just happens on a really cold morning...Besides...i'm in no position to have anymore clutch work done on the car since its drained my finances and i still have to get new front struts as well....i'll just keep it going for a while and see if it gets worse. thanks for the responses...

male:
i got the Excedy clutch off Ebay from "aimcoclutch" for $133 shipped...The clutch disc and pressure plate were original Excedy, but i remember that the throw-out bearing came in a different box and it did look like it was one of those "no name" brands...

I guess if people want to buy the Excedy clutch off Ebay...i would also strongly suggest buying the TO bearing seperately from Nissan.

Good luck with the install DaBoxSE
Old 01-02-2003, 01:03 PM

if anyone needs a VE flywheel, let me know
craigbrace@hotmail.com

that way you can have the flywheel and get it resurfaced (and lightened if you want) ready before you do the install; so you dont have to stop in the middle and take it to a machine shop

$50 + shipping