3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

did something kinda STUPID, now i need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 03:03 PM

did something kinda STUPID, now i need help

so i was changing the oil and i got an idea. instead of having intake piping, why not extend the connector to the maf sensor and connect the air filter on the piece that the intake piping starts. less piping = more power ? kinda? so i cut the wires and stripped them to extend them and when i got everything done i went to start my engine and it wouldn't start. so i tryed starting it again except this time i pushed the gas pedal. it reved but as soon as i let off the gas it went back to idle and cut off. so i unplugged the maf, the engine started with the check engine light but wouldn't rev past 2k. maybe i used the wrong type of wire? first i used some 20 gauge hook up wire from radio shack rated at 300 volts, whatever that means. and then i changed the wire to 18 gauge stereo wire that i used to hook up my neons with. what else can be wrong? i also noticed that in the maf connector there are 5 wires going in but it only connects 4 of them. i think the orange and green one doesn't do anything. this is normal right. and i also have a monster air filter

thanks and excuse my stupidity
Old 01-01-2003, 03:18 PM

Re: did something kinda STUPID, now i need help

Originally posted by CanadianMaxima
so i was changing the oil and i got an idea. instead of having intake piping, why not extend the connector to the maf sensor and connect the air filter on the piece that the intake piping starts. less piping = more power ? kinda? so i cut the wires and stripped them to extend them and when i got everything done i went to start my engine and it wouldn't start. so i tryed starting it again except this time i pushed the gas pedal. it reved but as soon as i let off the gas it went back to idle and cut off. so i unplugged the maf, the engine started with the check engine light but wouldn't rev past 2k. maybe i used the wrong type of wire? first i used some 20 gauge hook up wire from radio shack rated at 300 volts, whatever that means. and then i changed the wire to 18 gauge stereo wire that i used to hook up my neons with. what else can be wrong? i also noticed that in the maf connector there are 5 wires going in but it only connects 4 of them. i think the orange and green one doesn't do anything. this is normal right. and i also have a monster air filter

thanks and excuse my stupidity
So basically..you cut the wire harness that connects to the maf sensor to try and extend it and now the car won't run.

When you deal with something so sensitive, you should never cut wires. Try taking off the extention wires you added on and put it back the way it was, see what happens.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

hey we all mess up, lol if youve got enough wire comming out of the harness, try and put it back the way you had it as sudesh suggested. I think Craig may have wiring diagrams on his site, check the 3rd gen FAQ's for his address
Old 01-01-2003, 03:41 PM

so basically what i'm trying to do isn't possible? in theory shouldn't this work? like a speaker wire, if i cut it and put some wire inbetween it'll work. why isn't this working?
Old 01-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by CanadianMaxima
so basically what i'm trying to do isn't possible? in theory shouldn't this work? like a speaker wire, if i cut it and put some wire inbetween it'll work. why isn't this working?
dont know but if you put it back and something works then you can do each wire at a time if you still want to do it
Old 01-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i cut mine and extended it and it works fine. you must have a wired mixed up or something.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:48 PM

i cut mine and extended it and it works fine. you must have a wired mixed up or something.
i think i figured out the problem. the wiring is fine but since i removed the normal intake tubing i couldn't hook up the tube that goes from the iacv so i just took it off. i put everything back the way it was and rehooked the iacv tube and it worked right. but as soon as i disconnected that tube the engine cuts off. does anyone know why this is? also just a note, when the maf is unplugged, i can run the engine with the iacv tube on and off. does the computer know that the tube is connected?