3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Remote Start Dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 10:19 PM

Remote Start Dilemna

I got my viper remote start put on tonight buy a guy at best buy (back door hook up) and well it does it's job which is starts the car.......problems are:

1. My car is idling rough immediately after the install (kinda like it's missinga plug) right now and I want to get that fixed before I get to cold cold Kansas on Tuesday. I checked that the plugs were securely in place though i didnt check for oil and stuff. Any ideas / suggestions?

2. When I turn the heater and stereo on before getting out the car... (u know like in preparation before remote starting on a cold morning)...then when i get out and remote start, the heater and stereo dont come on until i put the key in and turn it to the on position, then they kick on. What can I do about that?

3. The keyless entry only locks and opens the doors...it doesnt arm and disarm the factory alarm at the same time, so when i remote start and open the door, the security light still flashes like the car was off. Any ideas / suggestions?

okay i think thats it.

s.

oh and btw:
4. I'm a 5-speed: everyone i told about the neutral wire that runs from the tranny to the ecu said it was a lie and it was impossible even after i showed them craig's email to me as well as the location of where the wire was supposed to be...any easy way for me to get this taken care of to be on the safe side even though I NEVER leave my car in gear and without the parking brake? Problem is I dont want to mess the car up by attempting any serious operation on the electrical internals of the car myself.

thanks for all help.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Remote Start Dilemna

Originally posted by lophix
oh and btw:
4. I'm a 5-speed: everyone i told about the neutral wire that runs from the tranny to the ecu said it was a lie and it was impossible even after i showed them craig's email to me as well as the location of where the wire was supposed to be...any easy way for me to get this taken care of to be on the safe side even though I NEVER leave my car in gear and without the parking brake? Problem is I dont want to mess the car up by attempting any serious operation on the electrical internals of the car myself.

thanks for all help.
no offense, but it sounds to me like the installers were just being lazy there
YES, you do have a neutral sensor wire at the ECU coming from the tranny and for a decent installer, it shouldn't be very hard to work that into a remote start system using a couple relays (like the info I sent you). I've tested it on my car and it works fine on LordRandall's car too. I helped delio use that wire on a 3rd gen install (91SE I think) and also on his 4th gen.

that's weird about the heat not working and also the security light flashing; makes me wonder if the accessory and ignition (not starter) wires are both getting power after it has started
Old 01-04-2003, 10:48 PM

Re: Re: Remote Start Dilemna

thanks for the reply craig..about the installers being lazy, i think so too...do you think i should attempt running these relays myself? also, concerning the rough idle, is that normal? it seems noone in houston knows about installing this stuff safely...i had been to about 8 different people and their responses were the same, bestbuy, mobileone and cartronix, which are big names here in houston. oh what to do, what to do...anyone in dallas who knows how to do this stuff? i'm passing thru dallas and oklahoma on my way to ks.
thanks again craig

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

no offense, but it sounds to me like the installers were just being lazy there
YES, you do have a neutral sensor wire at the ECU coming from the tranny and for a decent installer, it shouldn't be very hard to work that into a remote start system using a couple relays (like the info I sent you). I've tested it on my car and it works fine on LordRandall's car too. I helped delio use that wire on a 3rd gen install (91SE I think) and also on his 4th gen.

that's weird about the heat not working and also the security light flashing; makes me wonder if the accessory and ignition (not starter) wires are both getting power after it has started