3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

If we VE guys have all the stuff???-->

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
basically the VE is very expensive to upgrade and make fast
I wouldn't say very expensive you should see how much the same mods cost for other cars. Cams on anyother DOHC V6 or V8 will either cost the same or more, long tube headers are at least $600-1500 depending on materials. To me the cost is constant with improvement. For example while a 5.0 mustang needs few mods to run 13s, it should run mid-high 14s stock. Where as a VE in good tune should hit a high 14 or very low 15 bone stock. I believe a bolt on 5spd VE could hit a high 13 with excellent driving + slicks.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
AEM for the M/T VE
hmm such possibilities
would the AEM work with a JWT ecu?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Alex_V

Why have both? Thats a waste of money.

Theres also stand alone computers like Haltec, Microtech and megasquirt and all those other company's.

~Alex

Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 PM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by nismo87se
Where as a VE in good tune should hit a high 14 or very low 15 bone stock. I believe a bolt on 5spd VE could hit a high 13 with excellent driving + slicks.
you do know, that is what im shooting for. Also... are you counting in weight reduction? or no

i AT LEAST want to beat those SRT-4 big heads lol or the STI dudes, who bought the car and prolly dont know how to drive it well

Originally Posted by alex_V
Theres also stand alone computers like Haltec, Microtech and megasquirt and all those other company's.
doesnt that require a lot of wiring and electrical engineering? lol
Old 12-05-2006, 06:52 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by shaun
hmm such possibilities
would the AEM work with a JWT ecu?
It REPLACES the ECU.
It IS the ecu
Old 12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
kthxbye2u

nothing comes up in the search for AEM ecu for the VE5, may you compare it from the JWT ecu?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:22 PM
STFU n00b!

use VG30DE ECU. they're same pin for pin, except the addition of a few inexpensive sensors additional on the VG that the VE doesn't have.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:26 PM
kthxbye2u

sooo a N/A 300ZX 5 speed and swap that with my reg ECU?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM

holy old post batman!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 PM
STFU n00b!

sooo a N/A 300ZX 5 speed and swap that with my reg ECU?
Did I say VG30DE or VG30DETT?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 PM

wow... what memories when i used to own my max..
Old 12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
use VG30DE ECU. they're same pin for pin, except the addition of a few inexpensive sensors additional on the VG that the VE doesn't have.
I tried using a VG30DE ECU in my Maxima. It is the same pin for pin. There are extra sensors on the z32 ECU that the VE doesn't have. So I had to fool the ECU into thinking it had those sensors. It worked ok. With a tuned race fuel program, I was barely able to run the same 1/4 mile times as with my stock VE ECU program. There were some bugs that I couldn't work out. Also, the car would sometimes stall after aggressively getting on the throttle and suddenly backing off. Even with a perfect fuel and timing tune, the ECU still had some bugs that needed to be worked out so it would run the VE motor properly. I am guessing something to do with the idle control, was the problem.

I aborted that project a couple years ago in hopes to be able to tune my VE ECU. A couple weeks ago, me and Ash Powers (AshSPEC) made a huge break thru with the tuning of the VE ECU!!

On my latest trip down to FL, I swung by his house and actually made some progress this time. We were able to get the VE ECU to properly read the daughterboard with a stock program loaded! Next step is to get the Zemulator working with the VE ECU 100%.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 PM
kthxbye2u

(@ aaron92se) your on
... you came to FL and you didnt tell me?...
i want to watch, so i can learn

-is that ECU in your current maxima?

-also... can you tune an ECU out of the engine,or does it have to be installed when you tune it
Old 12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
mod or sell?

nothing comes up in the search for AEM ecu for the VE5, may you compare it from the JWT ecu?
How can you compare a totally customizable ECU with a preprogrammed one?
you also didn't search for it very hard.
I found it in 2 seconds.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 PM
NWP Engineering.com

(@ aaron92se) your on
... you came to FL and you didnt tell me?...
i want to watch, so i can learn

-is that ECU in your current maxima?

-also... can you tune an ECU out of the engine,or does it have to be installed when you tune it
If you are anywhere near I-95 north of West Palm, then I'll let you know next time I'm zipping by. It seems like everyone I know lives within 3 miles of 95.

The Z32 ECU is not currently in my Maxima. I pulled it out in hopes to make the VE Zemulator work. Right now, the VE ECU that me and Ash got to work with the stock program on a daughterboard is in Ash's garage. He still has some work to do in order to make the Zemulator work.

Yes, you can easily tune an ECU when it's out of the car. But ONLY if you know what parameters to alter. Right now, we have to make a bin file. Once we make a tune with the ECU installed in my car, then we will be able to stick it on any ECU without it being installed in the car.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:13 PM
kthxbye2u

yeah i meant the stock ECU

its in his garage

after your bin file you would be just plug and play with that "Zemulator"?
is that how it works?

and yes im about 3 miles west from I-95 on the malabar exit, i think exit 173?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

yeah i meant the stock ECU

its in his garage

after your bin file you would be just plug and play with that "Zemulator"?
is that how it works?

and yes im about 3 miles west from I-95 on the malabar exit, i think exit 173?
Cool. I are only about an hour south of where Ash lives. I wonder if you would be willing to ever volunteer your time in order to make this Zemulator thing work. Ash might have to get his hands on a VE 5spd and make a dyno tuned program with it.

The Zemulator and an ECU upgrade are two different things. First, an ECU upgrade means that the stock bin file is changed on the ECU.

The Zemulator is a tuning system that takes advantage of emulation. Emulation is when you plug in a little device (emulator) which pretends to be the EPROM. When the ECU is fooled by this emulator, it allows you to change almost everything with the ECU on the fly. Yes, while you're driving down the highway.

The stock VE ECU does not have an EPROM. So, in order to put one in there, we needed to add a daughterboard and make the motherboard read of this new EPROM. Once the EPROM works, then you can remove just the EPROM, plug in the Zemulator and you're working. The only problem is that the VE ECU is 16 bit and as of right now, they don't make a 16 bit emulator. So things are getting very complicated to make this work.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Cool. I are only about an hour south of where Ash lives. I wonder if you would be willing to ever volunteer your time in order to make this Zemulator thing work. Ash might have to get his hands on a VE 5spd and make a dyno tuned program with it.
dude, i would deff be willing to do that in order to contribute to the VE ECU tuning

The Zemulator and an ECU upgrade are two different things. First, an ECU upgrade means that the stock bin file is changed on the ECU.
Yes, the zemulator is the tuning program itself... i figured that

The Zemulator is a tuning system that takes advantage of emulation. Emulation is when you plug in a little device (emulator) which pretends to be the EPROM. When the ECU is fooled by this emulator, it allows you to change almost everything with the ECU on the fly. Yes, while you're driving down the highway.
i know what an emulator does

The stock VE ECU does not have an EPROM. So, in order to put one in there, we needed to add a daughterboard and make the motherboard read of this new EPROM. Once the EPROM works, then you can remove just the EPROM, plug in the Zemulator and you're working. The only problem is that the VE ECU is 16 bit and as of right now, they don't make a 16 bit emulator. So things are getting very complicated to make this work.
because the ECU is so old? i mean 16bit is like... sega genesis lol
what are you going to have to change into the 16 bit in order for it to read correctly?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:07 AM
NWP Engineering.com

because the ECU is so old? i mean 16bit is like... sega genesis lol
what are you going to have to change into the 16 bit in order for it to read correctly?
Actually, just like everything else in the VE, 16 bit is slightly ahead of it's time! The z32 was 8 bit until 1993, when they changed to the 16 bit.

There are many specific ideas that me and Ash have discussed in order to get the Zemulator working on the VE ECU. He does not want me to talk about the actual design layout of the system. Hit me up on AIM and I"ll be happy to chat.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:57 PM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by aaron92se
Actually, just like everything else in the VE, 16 bit is slightly ahead of it's time! The z32 was 8 bit until 1993, when they changed to the 16 bit.
is that why the 93 Z32 is/was the best year for them? (its what i heard)
^^^^ thats pretty crazy though

and if you didnt read, I would be happy... to assist you and ASH in this research, since i live closer AND have a VE 5spd
Old 12-08-2006, 08:07 PM
NWP Engineering.com

is that why the 93 Z32 is/was the best year for them? (its what i heard)
^^^^ thats pretty crazy though

and if you didnt read, I would be happy... to assist you and ASH in this research, since i live closer AND have a VE 5spd
I haven't heard that a particular OBDI is better than the others. So I can't say.

Yeah, I read it. Ash is in Edgewater, less than an hour north of you. The only reason I say that a 5spd could come in handy is b/c he can make a VE ECU with the 5spd, which is what most VE enthusiasts have. Plus, it allows for a full pull without any gear kickdown like the stock autos experience.

So if it comes to it and Ash needs to get his hands on any Maxima for a few hours, I'll make sure I let you know. For the past 3 years, we've been shipping ECUs, to and from, just to test something that would have taken 5 minutes if I were in his driveway.

Like when I stopped by his house this past month, we made a years progress in one hour! Just by me being there and exchanging ideas and testing this and testing that, we were able to actually make some headway in the little time I was there! It's very exciting to know that this Zemulator thing is getting closer! I'm too far into this project to back out and go with something else (JWT, EU, chip burning, etc)
Old 12-10-2006, 09:40 AM
kthxbye2u

well, what i REALLY need to do before tuning my ECU is fix my car a little before some other things

tires / rims (tires mainly)
valve cover gaskets (waiting on the plenum gasket)
and maybe rack and pinion replacement + alignment

after that im all about going to Edgewater and help
Old 12-10-2006, 10:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

well, what i REALLY need to do before tuning my ECU is fix my car a little before some other things

tires / rims (tires mainly)
valve cover gaskets (waiting on the plenum gasket)
and maybe rack and pinion replacement + alignment

after that im all about going to Edgewater and help
Cool. Ash doesn't need your help right now. But it's nice to know you're willing to donate some time for this most awesome cause if he ever needs the local help.